Poll: Fire employee
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
57.14%
4 57.14%
no
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firing an employee
Do you fire your best employee cause he cant show up for work?

Policy states 2 no call no shows in a 365 day period is an automatic termination. Last one was in february of this year, second was today. Keeping in mind he dominates when he shows up, no other real attendance problem, no other problems in general. He can fill in for a supervisor, drive a truck, and do his own job. He is a part time employee.

Is there a black and white line here? Do I sprinkle some pixie dust on the situation and make it disappear? Do I have him fill out a resignation form, suspend him for the rest of the week and let him decide by showing up on monday?

The decision is mine to make whether he stays or goes.
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
I have some things to say on this issue. I will try to remember my thoughts and post tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2
no call no show is pretty bad in my experience in the work force. it fucks up the schedule of everyone. It also might worry co workers, and cause distraction in the work place, with people gossiping about it.

Todays technology, there is really no reason for a no call situation actually.

What is the definition of no call no show in your work place anyway?

I've had to do this. I had to fire my top sales guy after making several exceptions. It wasn't due to attendance but because of what he would say to potential customers. I did have to let some go due to attendance as well. You can't continue to turn a blind eye to some and be hard nosed to others. As soon as you do, you set a precedence that is hard to bring back in. It also sends a good message to the rest of the team if you are holding your best and worst employees to the same standard.
LeNeve Wrote:What is the definition of no call no show in your work place anyway?

didnt call in saying he's not coming in, didnt show up for work. Theres a lot of leeway there also. The employee has up to 2 hours after his scheduled start time to call. But in this case he simply didnt call and didnt show up.
It doesn't seem like your best employee it he doesn't come on to work. To me it's a simple decision; fired! What you, as a member of management, are jaded to the talk amongst his coworkers. If this is not dealt with properly you are tarnishing your rep as part of management. Favoritism the workplace is a big issue every year. Cut this employee a break & others will expect the same treatment. You are not their buddies, you are their supervisor/manager. You are in a difficult situation because he's a good employee(when at work), busiest time of the year coming up, probably under-staffed, & you feel the pressure for productivity coming from higher pay scales. A good worker does not mean good employee. On that note, I know several managers who are terrible leaders. Any doofus can manage a workgroup, but their job consists of continually putting out fires. A true leader will fix the problem and work on preventative maintenance plan and build a workgroup that will respect your leadership even if not all of your decisions. Good lock brutha!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
I'd just like to say that my stance from the beginning has been to fire employee
Derick Wrote:I'd just like to say that my stance from the beginning has been to fire employee
You seem to me like a straight-forward dude who wants to do the right thing. Firing an employee is a very difficult thing to do, but you have been given & accepted the responsibility of making these decisions. It's a business decision, nothing personal!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
I was going to say that from February to October is a long time...
But then I thought about how I've never simply not showed up for work without calling. I've been late. But to not show up and not call? That's fucked up.
I am curious- the first time it happened, did he get suspended or warned? Any explanation?
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Donginator Wrote:I am curious- the first time it happened, did he get suspended or warned? Any explanation?
corrective action was issued, the employee signed, no suspension, also given a copy of the attendance policy which employee signed acknowledging his receipt of copy.
Derick Wrote:
Donginator Wrote:I am curious- the first time it happened, did he get suspended or warned? Any explanation?
corrective action was issued, the employee signed, no suspension, also given a copy of the attendance policy which employee signed acknowledging his receipt of copy.
Thanks, well he knew what would happen if he did it again, so yeah its gonna suck but you have to fire him.

I don't get it, all it takes is pick up the phone & make a quick call or even a quick e-mail.
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
What was his reason? I can only think of a few that would be ok.

- Hospitalized
- Jailed
- Kidnapped
- Stuck in a mine shaft