Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The building of a race bike
For those interested I thought I would put together a montage. This is going to get picture crazy.

So first you buy a bike for really cheap from a dumb ass that cant diagnose a battery problem

[Image: origbike_zpsc07b9f4a.jpg]

then start stripping off the old shit, broken shit, and start making a list of replacement parts.
First up the guage holder and front fairing stay, since the factory one was broken, I replaced with a race specific aluminum one.

[Image: guageholder_zpsa5955afa.jpg]
[Image: factoryguageholder_zps7ecad897.jpg]
[Image: guagesmounted_zps306fb87b.jpg]

once that is swapped, time to mount on bike

[Image: mounted_zps288a1c6a.jpg]

next up harded case covers with replaceable slider for crash protection of the valuable parts, frame sliders were already there, but those would have been added also

[Image: casecover2_zpseea0b7f9.jpg]
[Image: casecover1_zpsb6d9ad0a.jpg]

time to mount the new bodywork and windscreen. I opted to keep a few the front fender instead of a new one, its getting covered anyway.

[Image: bodywork2_zps8a60a19c.jpg]
[Image: bodywork3_zpsb726dac0.jpg]

Time for paint. Single stage. No need to two stage on a race bike

[Image: bodypaint_zps3d10d7ee.jpg]
[Image: paintedtank_zps7037f227.jpg]

no pics of it assembled yet, as a bunch of parts went to the vinyl guy.

Suspension time.
These are Ohlins cartridges, basically you remove all of the internals from the front and replace with these, not cheap, but OMG awesome feel. And the rear. All of it had to come off the bike, and go to a suspension guy for assembly, cleaning, and rebuilding.

[Image: ohlins_zps1034fefe.jpg]
[Image: rearshock_zpsfde478f0.jpg]

Clutch modification time, the Y shaped springs need to be cut down, these control engine braking and clutch slippage. This clutch is designed to slip allowing you go to from 6th gear to 1st gear without locking the wheel up. I dont advise trying that without this type of clutch.

[Image: clutchmod_zps3ecbc236.jpg]

After 2 weekends at the Vinyl guys house, final assembly

[Image: finished3_zps0cfb4056.jpg]
[Image: finished2_zps29a2c938.jpg]
[Image: finished1_zpsc00e7a1a.jpg]
[Image: finished4_zps4a48e220.jpg]

And most of the contributing parts peeps and etc help on the bike

[Image: sponsorstickers_zps2b833c8c.jpg]

final completed bike

[Image: complete_zpsa6db7764.jpg]
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Parts that didnt have pics, new racing solid mounted foot pegs, handle bars, grips, race tires, all of the fluids changed, antifreeze was drained and replaced with coolant only (less slick and easier to clean up, but will freeze), all parts cleaned and re greased.

Still need to safety wire a bunch of parts, new brake pads, clutch/brake levers, and the rims need a solid cleaned of the old tape used to cover the wheel weights
WTF is going on in the top left corner of this picture?

Chip Wrote:WTF is going on in the top left corner of this picture?

i have no idea, but they belong to my roommate, she told me what they were once, and I forget, some type of yoga poses I think
Pretty cool. I don't know what most of that means, but it is cool to see the start to finish of something that someone I know did like that.

How much did that all run you total?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
yeah awesome
:high5:
wait 16,000 rpms? I had no idea those things spun up so fast like that.
Pete Nice Wrote:Pretty cool. I don't know what most of that means, but it is cool to see the start to finish of something that someone I know did like that.

ballpark $6500 including the bike
LeNeve Wrote:wait 16,000 rpms? I had no idea those things spun up so fast like that.
with this particular bike you don't let it run under 10 and shift around 16. And yeah they are that fast
Derick Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Pretty cool. I don't know what most of that means, but it is cool to see the start to finish of something that someone I know did like that.

Damn that's not bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Joe Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

Damn that's not bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
not considering that the ohlins front end was 1200 alone
Race day

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
How heavy is the bike? I'm not feeling the paint scheme yet. Probably looks better at 180 MPH I guess.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
LeNeve Wrote:How heavy is the bike? I'm not feeling the paint scheme yet. Probably looks better at 180 MPH I guess.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
stock is 417 full wet.