Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cable boxes
So there is nothing more annoying than having a cable box running from your nice big expensive HDTV on the wall.

With all the technology we have, when are they going to build these fucking cable boxes and their technology into the fucking TV's already?

How fucking sweet would that be?

How much fucking easier would that make our lives?

Anyone know anything or hear anything about when this might happen?

I have heard whispers over the last few years, but nothing ever seems to get done.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
If anyone sees any news articles about this, post it here.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
It's their way of monitoring your use to make sure they can cut you off if you stop paying the bill. And to keep you from hooking up to multiple tvs with a splicer and only paying for one.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
I'm thinking in the near future, it will be easier and easier to get rid of cable.
They're already making "smart TVs" that you can get Hulu and NetFlix on.
Old TVs with the old cable, didn't need cable boxes, I doubt the cable companies will gladly give people the option of not paying a monthly fee for each cable box.
There's no way the cable and satellite companies are going to let you have a connection without it going through one of their boxes. They were getting me for like $5-$10 per box in rental fees.
They can just shut the service on and off from the box number. Like it just doesn't work until the cable company turns it on.

It really seems like a simple solution to me. I am sure the tech is not that hard.

We need to do something about this.

I would drop cable in a minute if there was a better way to watch sports. That is the only thing holding me back. Streaming sports sucks.

Actually this technology has been available for a while, the problem is the "cable cards" as they are called are only one way. You have been able to but select models of TVs for about 5+ years with a card integrated into the set. The limitation is most of the features that cable tries to up-sell you with are two way, for example anything ondemand.
I just dropped cable today. No fucking clue what I'm gonna watch now, but I really don't see how it's worth it. I suppose now I won't waste my nights in front of the TV.
Pete Nice Wrote:They can just shut the service on and off from the box number. Like it just doesn't work until the cable company turns it on.

It really seems like a simple solution to me. I am sure the tech is not that hard.

We need to do something about this.

It can't be that hard.
Cable boxes are pretty much computers now anyway.
And TVs are getting pretty close.
I just don't think they will.
I haven't needed a cable box for cable for years already. I need something if I want to DVR stuff, but thats it. I can even get pay per view stuff, if I paid a little extra a month for those specific channels. sattelite, and DVR I need boxes for. Even digital cable hooks right to these newer tvs without a box.
Joe Wrote:I just dropped cable today. No fucking clue what I'm gonna watch now, but I really don't see how it's worth it. I suppose now I won't waste my nights in front of the TV.

I usually stop paying for it during summer. I don't want a bunch of lazy people and kids out of school hanging out in my air conditioned house watching tv all day while I suffer at work.
My wires are run through the wall and into my electronics stand. No wires show.

If you get a box with rf capabilities you can put the box in another room so you dont see it.

Imported from Canada
Brampton Wrote:My wires are run through the wall and into my electronics stand. No wires show.

If you get a box with rf capabilities you can put the box in another room so you dont see it.

Imported from Canada

I've also heard of signal repeaters for remotes, where you just put a little sensor out near the TV, and run a wire to where the cable box/dvd player is, and it will transfer the signal to it.
Set this up last weekend. Love it. Home made wall mount too. Used some aluminum brackets from a truck bed cover. Scrap 2x4 boards. And a old mount from a shop light reel, so it can pivot around where I can see it good. Pull a couple pins and it pops right off. power cord Cable, Xbox, and an HDMI are run up through the wall unseen.

[Image: aeff0d25-7eea-1b1a.jpg]

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk