Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full 8GB ram
ok so I have 8 gb of Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) installed in my machine but I can only use 3.25 gb of it either with one dim or both installed at the same time. What do i have to do to get as much of the available memory that can be used instead of just less than half? the motherboard Im using has four slots for memory and Ive tried to use all of them but I still only get the 3.25 gb of available memory either from one or both dimms. Im using windows 7 ultimate btw.
@ilikegirlsdaily
javsto Wrote:ok so I have 8 gb of Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) installed in my machine but I can only use 3.25 gb of it either with one dim or both installed at the same time. What do i have to do to get as much of the available memory that can be used instead of just less than half? the motherboard Im using has four slots for memory and Ive tried to use all of them but I still only get the 3.25 gb of available memory either from one or both dimms. Im using windows 7 ultimate btw.

You need Windows 7 64bit.
You have 32bit installed.

That's the max memory 32bit OS's can recognize.
64bit can go to something insane like 180gb
Chip Wrote:
javsto Wrote:ok so I have 8 gb of Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) installed in my machine but I can only use 3.25 gb of it either with one dim or both installed at the same time. What do i have to do to get as much of the available memory that can be used instead of just less than half? the motherboard Im using has four slots for memory and Ive tried to use all of them but I still only get the 3.25 gb of available memory either from one or both dimms. Im using windows 7 ultimate btw.

so aside from upgrading ,again, the OS to 64 bit, is there anything else i need to change like the processor?
@ilikegirlsdaily
javsto Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

so aside from upgrading ,again, the OS to 64 bit, is there anything else i need to change like the processor?

I'm 99.9% sure that it's only the OS.
100% sure.
2^32 = just about 4gb, the max you can have. The only thing you can do with the extra memory is create a ramdisk. google for explanation. Basically its a hard drive created out of excess ram. Its way faster to access data, but everytime you restart you will loose that data.
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Backup your data, find a W7 Ultimate 64 bit torrent for a RTM version and just re-do it.