Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Occupy Wallstreet
I don't exactly know what this whole thing is against exactly. I've heard that 1% of the population holds like 90% of the worlds wealth. Rich keep getting richer, poor keep getting poorer. ect..
But what is this whole thing about? Publicly traded companys are bad? Wall street is the reason i'm getting fucked on my credit card rates and mortgauge?
I don't really know what they're against.

The real reason i bring this up is because of the heavy police presence at all this shit. i'm just a roofer, and i don't know exactly where in the constitution it says you have the right to peacablly assemble, but i know it does.

Cops have been fucking people up at these things. Towns are bitching how much police overtime is costing their towns. My question is, if its just a bunch of people getting together, why would they feel the need to send like 50 cops out to watch over them? If nobody is getting out of line and nobody called them in, what reason do they have to be there?? It's like sending 100 cops to watch over a high school football game because something might happen after the game in the parking lot.

:beer: In a nutshell, i dont think there should be any cops there unless somebody calls them, just like anywhere else in everyday life
You have to maintain police presence at any mass public gathering. Especially protest gatherings where there is potential for civil unrest and disruption. It's part of the job. For example...if something breaks bad how in the world are you supposed to mobilize and deal with it? You have to be there in the first place. People are getting fucked up at these things because they are violating the law and actively confronting the cops. Which is the E-ticket to getting your ass kicked.

I'm over this bullshit. A bunch of ignorant people with some legitimate grievances is just asking for problems. Most of these dumbasses have no clue what sacrifice and hard work is all about. Life isn't fair. Get over it. Nobody owes you shit you chumps. Go occupy a desk and work like the rest of us.

This editorial sums it up perfectly:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/18/hicks-some-belated-parental-advice-to-protesters/">http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... rotesters/</a><!-- m -->

MaryBeth Hicks Wrote:Call it an occupational hazard, but I can’t look at the Occupy Wall Street protesters without thinking, “Who parented these people?”

As a culture columnist, I’ve commented on the social and political ramifications of the “movement” - now known as “OWS” - whose fairyland agenda can be summarized by one of their placards: “Everything for everybody.”

Thanks to their pipe-dream platform, it’s clear there are people with serious designs on “transformational” change in America who are using the protesters like bedsprings in a brothel.

Yet it’s not my role as a commentator that prompts my parenting question, but rather the fact that I’m the mother of four teens and young adults. There are some crucial life lessons that the protesters’ moms clearly have not passed along.

Here, then, are five things the OWS protesters’ mothers should have taught their children but obviously didn’t, so I will:

• Life isn’t fair. The concept of justice - that everyone should be treated fairly - is a worthy and worthwhile moral imperative on which our nation was founded. But justice and economic equality are not the same. Or, as Mick Jagger said, “You can’t always get what you want.”

No matter how you try to “level the playing field,” some people have better luck, skills, talents or connections that land them in better places. Some seem to have all the advantages in life but squander them, others play the modest hand they’re dealt and make up the difference in hard work and perseverance, and some find jobs on Wall Street and eventually buy houses in the Hamptons. Is it fair? Stupid question.

• Nothing is “free.” Protesting with signs that seek “free” college degrees and “free” health care make you look like idiots, because colleges and hospitals don’t operate on rainbows and sunshine. There is no magic money machine to tap for your meandering educational careers and “slow paths” to adulthood, and the 53 percent of taxpaying Americans owe you neither a degree nor an annual physical.

While I’m pointing out this obvious fact, here are a few other things that are not free: overtime for police officers and municipal workers, trash hauling, repairs to fixtures and property, condoms, Band-Aids and the food that inexplicably appears on the tables in your makeshift protest kitchens. Real people with real dollars are underwriting your civic temper tantrum.

• Your word is your bond. When you demonstrate to eliminate student loan debt, you are advocating precisely the lack of integrity you decry in others. Loans are made based on solemn promises to repay them. No one forces you to borrow money; you are free to choose educational pursuits that don’t require loans, or to seek technical or vocational training that allows you to support yourself and your ongoing educational goals. Also, for the record, being a college student is not a state of victimization. It’s a privilege that billions of young people around the globe would die for - literally.

• A protest is not a party. On Saturday in New York, while making a mad dash from my cab to the door of my hotel to avoid you, I saw what isn’t evident in the newsreel footage of your demonstrations: Most of you are doing this only for attention and fun. Serious people in a sober pursuit of social and political change don’t dance jigs down Sixth Avenue like attendees of a Renaissance festival. You look foolish, you smell gross, you are clearly high and you don’t seem to realize that all around you are people who deem you irrelevant.

• There are reasons you haven’t found jobs. The truth? Your tattooed necks, gauged ears, facial piercings and dirty dreadlocks are off-putting. Nonconformity for the sake of nonconformity isn’t a virtue. Occupy reality: Only 4 percent of college graduates are out of work. If you are among that 4 percent, find a mirror and face the problem. It’s not them. It’s you.

For me I got a BBA in Finance and went to law school. Paid off a shitload of student loans and worked full-time from the time I was 15 years old...including college and law school. Nobody gave me shit...even though my folks had plenty of money. My dad told me I would never appreciate anything unless I had to struggle to get it. Used to piss me off as a kid but it was the best thing my folks ever did for me. There's no free lunch. I hate having to be in Ohio 8 hours away from my kids and friends but this is where the opportunity is. You do what you have to do. And you whiny punks...the Army is always hiring.
Hondo Wrote:Life isn't fair. Get over it. Nobody owes you shit you chumps. Go occupy a desk and work like the rest of us.
:high5:
negadave Wrote:I don't exactly know what this whole thing is against exactly. I've heard that 1% of the population holds like 90% of the worlds wealth. Rich keep getting richer, poor keep getting poorer. ect..
But what is this whole thing about? Publicly traded companys are bad? Wall street is the reason i'm getting fucked on my credit card rates and mortgauge?
I don't really know what they're against.

The real reason i bring this up is because of the heavy police presence at all this shit. i'm just a roofer, and i don't know exactly where in the constitution it says you have the right to peacablly assemble, but i know it does.

Cops have been fucking people up at these things. Towns are bitching how much police overtime is costing their towns. My question is, if its just a bunch of people getting together, why would they feel the need to send like 50 cops out to watch over them? If nobody is getting out of line and nobody called them in, what reason do they have to be there?? It's like sending 100 cops to watch over a high school football game because something might happen after the game in the parking lot.

:beer: In a nutshell, i dont think there should be any cops there unless somebody calls them, just like anywhere else in everyday life

Everyone down at these have different agendas. The thing I find funny, is they are claiming they are the 99% against the 1%, but the only thing they're destroying are the 99 Percenters lives. Stores around Zucatti park are nearing bankruptcy because of a loss of foot traffic due to these protests. Real damage has been done to buildings, septic issues (some as protest are literally shitting in the streets). What it comes down to, (editorializing) they want a handout. And they are pissed that the banks got one, but are conveniently forgetting that most have paid that back with interest (not that I agree, they should have just let them fail, other companies would have bought them for pennies on the dollar and life would have gone on). You have a bunch of assholes that went to college with Liberal Arts degrees, and degrees and stupid shit like language studies and archaeology, and can't understand why their job is in demand. So it's obviously someone else's fault, rather than theirs for picking shitty vocations.

There have been rapes, assaults, various vandalism at these events. In Oakland there have been Molotov cocktails thrown, stores have been destroyed, etc. While there are a lot of people that are peaceably protesting, there are sects that take advantage of the situation and use it to push their agendas (i.e. Anarchists that are running around with masks on doing real damage). The police have to be there, whether they want to or not. There was a street cart that was vandalized in SD. The guy was offering to feed some of the protesters as an act of kindness. The groups swelled and he couldn't afford it anymore and stopped. So the protesters destroyed his cart, and literally pissed and shit in his cart and covered it with blood and body waste. Rapes in GA, vandalism in nearly EVERY protest group, assaults, general misconduct. The police have to be there.

There have been FAR more violent acts by the protesters than the handful of police overreach. The police are the ones being singled out for it though. You see half the story when you see these YouTube clips. Some genuinely are harassing the cops to the point of violence, but only turn on the cameras to catch the retaliation, not the build up. Do I agree in their actions? Not all the time. Some are a little overblown. Have you ever worked entirely too long? Too many days in a row? Too many hours? Not enough sleep? You're probably pretty damn irritable too.
I'm pissed the banks got a handout. I'm even more pissed that they are repaying MY loan, as it was my (and your) tax dollars that bailed them out with ridiculous fees and usurious interest rates. Looked at your credit card statement lately? 29.90% motherfuckers. The people took (and are continuing to take) a huge fucking. Except these protesters are wanting a free lunch instead of doing things that might actively change things. There is no free lunch nor should there be. At 44 years old I look at these protesters as a bunch of clueless fucks who probably couldn't pour sand out of a boot. They are right to be angry about some of it but they are tools of people who have a far more sinister agenda and they're too stupid to realize it.

Want to do something? Get a job and start putting dollars toward political and legal change. A system actually exists to change things you don't like. Been around 236 years too.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2011/11/law_schools_should_pay_students_to_quit_.html">http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... quit_.html</a><!-- m -->
That's an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how much I dig paying someone to quit but I really, really like the idea of the schools subsidizing the loans rather than the taxpayers. That's never going to happen though. I'm also at a loss to explain the ridiculous rise in tuition over the last 20 years. When I first started college in 1985 each semester was less than $1000. When I graduated in 1989 it was still around $1200 a semester. Again....this was a state school but that same school is now $6000 a semester. Wages sure haven't increased by a multiple of 4 since then.
They aren't really the 99%. The real 99% get up in the morning and go to work.
New Philly
Hondo Wrote:That's an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how much I dig paying someone to quit but I really, really like the idea of the schools subsidizing the loans rather than the taxpayers. That's never going to happen though. I'm also at a loss to explain the ridiculous rise in tuition over the last 20 years. When I first started college in 1985 each semester was less than $1000. When I graduated in 1989 it was still around $1200 a semester. Again....this was a state school but that same school is now $6000 a semester. Wages sure haven't increased by a multiple of 4 since then.

I thought you might like that, the one author Ayers has great points- his book SuperCrunchers was really interesting.
How are you posting in the future dude?
I'm with you, Hondo.

I'm sick of people wanting their wallets filled with money stolen from mine.

(Where are you at in Ohio?)

and for a chuckle, check out this song...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7LoZXYgvkY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7LoZXYgvkY</a><!-- m -->
lol

according to Pete there was a server switch....I havent been able to post or PM for 24hrs or more LOL

oh well....

anyways, I'm in the Akron/Canton area.... small world.
and this is an updated link of the video I posted earlier

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMIt_8yPsw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMIt_8yPsw</a><!-- m -->
Hondo Wrote:How are you posting in the future dude?

New server was a day ahead. Oops

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Healthcare with an occupy tie in Pete Nice 39 11,603 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Last Post: ap bikini team