Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011-2012 Season
So who goes West when Phoenix moves to Quebec? Buffalo and Pittsburgh would be the furthest west teams. NO WAY either of those teams would want to move. The NHL would not want to take the Pens away from the Caps and Flyers. So Buffalo would have to move to Detroits division?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:There is no way someone could win a division now and have less points than the 8 seed, no way at all. I like the current playoff system, the best teams should be in the playoffs. In fact, I have always said the change they should make is seeding by points not division winners. 1-8 based on points, division winner or not. THAT truly rewards you for doing good. THAT is how it should be. I am telling you, there are going to be teams in the Pens/Flyers division every year with more points than at least one or two teams that make the playoffs. My money is on the Flyers and Rangers being one of them within the first few years.

Teams lose out on home ice because a team with fewer points wins a division, I've always hated that too.
I see your point, but, if you want to do what you're saying, you'd have to set up the playoffs 1-16 across the entire NHL. Because what you're saying will happen, already has, and I'm pretty sure it happens close every year now.

Detroit hasn't had a big rival since the Colorado days. It seems like there is one growing with Chicago, but they need to meet in the playoffs, and I think this system will let that happen a lot more.
Pete Nice Wrote:So who goes West when Phoenix moves to Quebec? Buffalo and Pittsburgh would be the furthest west teams. NO WAY either of those teams would want to move. The NHL would not want to take the Pens away from the Caps and Flyers. So Buffalo would have to move to Detroits division?

Yeah, they'd have to do something dumb like move Buffalo into the Division with Detroit, then move St. Louis to replace Phoenix.
I am surprised they did this without knowing what's going to happen in Phoenix.
Will Phoenix actually move!?
NussieT Wrote:Will Phoenix actually move!?

The NHL owns them right now, and is trying to, but can't, find someone to buy them and keep them in Phoenix.
The NHL is losing a lot of money (I think $20 million a year?), and they won't keep that up for ever.
Pete Nice Wrote:So who goes West when Phoenix moves to Quebec? Buffalo and Pittsburgh would be the furthest west teams. NO WAY either of those teams would want to move. The NHL would not want to take the Pens away from the Caps and Flyers. So Buffalo would have to move to Detroits division?
well.....I figure Toronto would be the one that moves....since they were in the Campbell conference before.

this playoff system is the old one, before Betmann took over. I like it.
Chip Wrote:

The NHL owns them right now, and is trying to, but can't, find someone to buy them and keep them in Phoenix.
The NHL is losing a lot of money (I think $20 million a year?), and they won't keep that up for ever.

Wichita needs an NHL team.
LeNeve Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

does Kansas have a city with more than 500k people?
Brampton Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

I'm going to Wichita
I'm gonna fight 'em all...

If Wichita gets a team, it would have to be named 7 Nation Army, right?

Or Kansas City has a nice new arena, right?
Haha.
I never knew why Kansas City wasn't in Kansas.
But then again, because both were named Kansas, I never thought much of it.

So tonight, my first game bowling, I had a 225, and was 5 pins short of winning $20.
My thrid game, was a 214 and I was 9 pins short of winning $50. WTF?
I bowled a 651 with nothing to show for it but this buzz.
So now I'm home, having another beer.
Chip Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:There is no way someone could win a division now and have less points than the 8 seed, no way at all. I like the current playoff system, the best teams should be in the playoffs. In fact, I have always said the change they should make is seeding by points not division winners. 1-8 based on points, division winner or not. THAT truly rewards you for doing good. THAT is how it should be. I am telling you, there are going to be teams in the Pens/Flyers division every year with more points than at least one or two teams that make the playoffs. My money is on the Flyers and Rangers being one of them within the first few years.

Teams lose out on home ice because a team with fewer points wins a division, I've always hated that too.
I see your point, but, if you want to do what you're saying, you'd have to set up the playoffs 1-16 across the entire NHL. Because what you're saying will happen, already has, and I'm pretty sure it happens close every year now.

Detroit hasn't had a big rival since the Colorado days. It seems like there is one growing with Chicago, but they need to meet in the playoffs, and I think this system will let that happen a lot more.

I do not like the idea of two eastern teams playing for the cup, it should be East v West, split it that way. There is nothing wrong with that. Although it would be uber sweet watching the Pens beat the Flyers in a cup final. Still, East v West.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Brampton Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

no. last I knew Wichita was barely pushing 400k. and KC is mostly in missouri
:roflmao:

Poor Tampa and Florida.

[Image: NHL-realignment-map_2011-12-03-Final.png]
Chip Wrote::roflmao:

Poor Tampa and Florida.

[Image: NHL-realignment-map_2011-12-03-Final.png]

There shouldn't be hockey teams in Florida or Arizona anyway. Move Phoenix to Saskatoon, Miami to Hartford and Tampa to Quebec. Then you don't even need to change anyone in divisions.

Who drew up that map? You can tell what the leftovers are... :roflmao:
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:Who drew up that map? You can tell what the leftovers are... :roflmao:

Yeah, someone color coded the new divisions to point out how much they screwed the Florida teams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 Offseason Chip 117 27,557 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  2011 Preseason Chip 13 5,284 09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Chip
  2011 Offseason Chip 139 34,971 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Brampton
  2011 Playoffs. Chip 166 39,872 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
  2010-2011 season Pete Nice 206 47,281 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM