Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perform Service Notice
I have a 2008 dodge ram 2500 6.7l diesel. I have been having issues with the perform service notice coming on about 2-3K miles early compared to what it should. I have been told numerous things as to why this is happening. I believe it has a oil viscosity sensor which is supposed to tell you when the oil needs changed. However each time I take it in 2-3k miles early I am told everything is fine. I have also been told that the previous mechanic did not know how to "reset" it correctly and has been fired since. What are some causes of this, are they not changing the oil or filter properly? Is there a bad sensor and they just don't want to change it? Is there another way to "reset" the perform service light besides the ignition, pump gas 3 times, blah blah way? Should I sit and watch them change the oil this time?

When I bought the truck we paid for the oil change service for the next like 20 oil changes at a discounted price. I take the truck to a cheaper place when it needs any other work done besides recall or oil change. Are they fucking me over, are they lying to me, or do they just not know what the fuck they are doing? Any input would be great.

Thanks
What oil are they using and what is your service interval?
those use several inputs to decide when the oil needs changes. engine run time, coolant temp, a bunch of different things calculated into the computer. I don't know anything about dodges though. thats just how the ford ones work. Sometimes shit will go 7500 miles in between oil changes, sometimes 3,000. just depends on conditions. also they might not be resetting it properly. the ford ones you can set them at 90% 80% all the way down to 10% oil life.
Hondo Wrote:What oil are they using and what is your service interval?

Not sure, and supposed to be 5,000 miles.
LeNeve Wrote:those use several inputs to decide when the oil needs changes. engine run time, coolant temp, a bunch of different things calculated into the computer. I don't know anything about dodges though. thats just how the ford ones work. Sometimes shit will go 7500 miles in between oil changes, sometimes 3,000. just depends on conditions. also they might not be resetting it properly. the ford ones you can set them at 90% 80% all the way down to 10% oil life.

Ok so there is a different reset where they can set oil life? Maybe thats where they are messing up.