Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
Hondo Wrote:The only time you really lights and siren is to clear an intersection when there's traffic. Otherwise all it does is cause people to panic, slow down, change lanes erratically and stop in the middle of the road forcing you to take evasive action. You're better off just blasting through as fast as you can. When they don't know you're coming you can get by them faster. If there is heavy traffic you don't have much choice but in light traffic you're better off without them.

That is really interesting, and good "did you know" type info.
So, if you were a cop you would absolutely, unequivocally write your mom a ticket for 56 mph in a 55 mph zone?

Really?

Here's what you are missing. Traffic offenses (with a few exceptions) are all misdemeanor offenses. Law enforcement officers are allowed personal discretion when it comes to almost all misdemeanor violations. The decision to arrest (or write that ticket) all falls within their discretionary power. Felonies are completely different. So, if I decide I don't want to fuck over a brother officer, my family, a doctor or the pizza guy it's a completely legitimate exercise of that discretionary power. There's nothing unethical about it whatsoever. Do you really want laws enforced in pure black and white? Have you considered in the least what that would do to a society if such a process were implemented? Why, they could just put cameras up everywhere and mail out the tickets and arrest warrants. Perhaps that is indeed what you want. Good luck with it.

I think what burns you is that cops might get to drive faster than you and hop a red light if they are going somewhere...legit or not. Cry me a river dude. Here's a news flash. Every profession gets certain perks. You don't have to deal with the shit going on all around you in society everyday. You don't have the concern about getting your ass shot off or stabbed on the way to shitter with your newspaper at the office. As someone who's worked both the LE and civilian world you simply have no idea how easy the civilian world is. Until you've worked the streets pointing guns at people on a daily basis you quite simply aren't in much of a position to make a judgement call. So if the police get to drive faster than you...well...get over it. That's a pretty damn small concession to allow the people that do the dirty work that 99% of the people in this world don't have the guts to even attempt.
Hondo Wrote:Do you really want laws enforced in pure black and white? Have you considered in the least what that would do to a society if such a process were implemented?

Isn't that what the court is for, and a jury of my peers? I thought police enforce the laws [you may have a point on the felony v misdemeanor], and then the black and white is settled by others.

Hondo Wrote:I think what burns you is that cops might get to drive faster than you and hop a red light if they are going somewhere...legit or not. Cry me a river dude. Here's a news flash. Every profession gets certain perks. You don't have to deal with the shit going on all around you in society everyday. You don't have the concern about getting your ass shot off or stabbed on the way to shitter with your newspaper at the office. As someone who's worked both the LE and civilian world you simply have no idea how easy the civilian world is. Until you've worked the streets pointing guns at people on a daily basis you quite simply aren't in much of a position to make a judgement call. So if the police get to drive faster than you...well...get over it. That's a pretty damn small concession to allow the people that do the dirty work that 99% of the people in this world don't have the guts to even attempt.

No offense Hondo but you don't HAVE to deal with that shit either- get a different job, you chose law enforcement and that is what comes with it. I respect and have admiration because people choose to do those professions, but I don't want to hear that you HAVE to do it- you don't. I chose a field where there are a few jobs- I knew this going into it, so I am not going to bitch about it.

Its a bunch of crock if you think "civilian" life is so much easier using your logic you have no idea what the stress is like in academia and you couldn't handle it unless you have been there and done it.

Its a complete fallacy to say, that no one can relate or think about how they would act/react/emote in a given circumstances without being there or going through something. And saying someone can't comment because they haven't been through it is bull too. If this were the case the only people who could do psychotherapy for depression are people who have been depressed in the past.

We are the only species that has the ability to think about potential situations in which we haven't lived, and so you can probably image the amount of stress any person in academia goes through when they try to advance. Just like, if you have never blow out your ankle pretty badly- you can clearly imagine the amount of pain one goes through & the discomfort caused.

Let me ask you this- if your kid got rejected from a graduate degree program- essentially eliminating that avenue of life for them, simply to let another student in because their dad worked at the school, are you ok with that? You don't find that complete bullshit, unfair and hypocritical?
I do, I hate it, and it goes against what I believe.
Hondo Wrote:The only time you really lights and siren is to clear an intersection when there's traffic. Otherwise all it does is cause people to panic, slow down, change lanes erratically and stop in the middle of the road forcing you to take evasive action. You're better off just blasting through as fast as you can. When they don't know you're coming you can get by them faster. If there is heavy traffic you don't have much choice but in light traffic you're better off without them.
Ironically enough, I figured this out doing the ambulance missions in Grand Theft Auto. I kept crashing with the sirens on.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
i bleed green Wrote:
Ironically enough, I figured this out doing the ambulance missions in Grand Theft Auto. I kept crashing with the sirens on.

hahahahaha.
Well let's see...

My undergrad degree was in finance and then I went to law school at Oklahoma. So yeah, I think I have a pretty good idea of what academic pressure is all about.
I spent 15 years pointing guns at people for a living before I finally got sick of the petty politics and the forced standards of mediocrity that pervade any type of government work. I've spent the last 5 years in the oil and gas industry, watching it all collapse in 2009 and then rebound. Given the perspective of 45 years of life I feel totally confident that the civilian world is much easier. When you take death or serious injury out of the work equation it's all gravy from that point on.

The black and white is settled by politicians who make the laws. Guilt or innocence is determined by the jury.

I'd be pissed too if my kid was denied entry into his chosen program. Then I'd tell him "welcome to life" and get tell him to get busy applying to a different school. That's EXACTLY how life works too. Someone is always pulling favors to better themselves. It's human nature. If you could make a request and get your kid admitted you and I both know you'd pull that string for him....without giving any thought to some other kid and his dad in a kitchen somewhere reading that rejection letter. While I admire your altruism it is completely non-congruent with the way life really works. You can fret about, rage about and buck it every step of the way if you so choose. In the meantime the rest of the world will continue to exploit every advantage and pass you by.

Lastly if you think someone is abusing their authority by driving too fast or skipping a red light you always have the option to call and make a complaint. Contrary to popular belief that trivial bullshit is taken rather seriously by most LE agencies.
Hondo Wrote:Well let's see...

My undergrad degree was in finance and then I went to law school at Oklahoma. So yeah, I think I have a pretty good idea of what academic pressure is all about.
I spent 15 years pointing guns at people for a living before I finally got sick of the petty politics and the forced standards of mediocrity that pervade any type of government work. I've spent the last 5 years in the oil and gas industry, watching it all collapse in 2009 and then rebound. Given the perspective of 45 years of life I feel totally confident that the civilian world is much easier. When you take death or serious injury out of the work equation it's all gravy from that point on.

The black and white is settled by politicians who make the laws. Guilt or innocence is determined by the jury.

I'd be pissed too if my kid was denied entry into his chosen program. Then I'd tell him "welcome to life" and get tell him to get busy applying to a different school. That's EXACTLY how life works too. Someone is always pulling favors to better themselves. It's human nature. If you could make a request and get your kid admitted you and I both know you'd pull that string for him....without giving any thought to some other kid and his dad in a kitchen somewhere reading that rejection letter. While I admire your altruism it is completely non-congruent with the way life really works. You can fret about, rage about and buck it every step of the way if you so choose. In the meantime the rest of the world will continue to exploit every advantage and pass you by.

Lastly if you think someone is abusing their authority by driving too fast or skipping a red light you always have the option to call and make a complaint. Contrary to popular belief that trivial bullshit is taken rather seriously by most LE agencies.

First not academic pressure- pressure in academia, law school is nothing like it unless you are a prof, after working with a law professors for years I can tell you that much. Although with that response I am not sure if you got my point.

Second, you can reframe what I said all you want for its application to living life, and the practicality of it but it seems that we agree on my main point- that it is unfair and unethical.

Third, a minor point its not altruism- what I am talking about is a true meritocracy.
There will never be a true meritocracy as long as there is a human element to anything. It's a shame, but it's also reality.

Sorry bro...but I'm not buying your argument that academic stress is equal to that of that endured by people who risk their lives daily. The bullshit quota is probably the same or perhaps greater, but the stress level is not. How many professors do you see dealing with PTSD? What's the average lifespan of a professor versus a cop, fireman or soldier? I'm not saying at all that the civilian world isn't stressful...it certainly is. When you've walked both sides though the comparison is night and day. There are many of us ex-LEO's now well into their second (or third) careers. I stay in touch with a number of people who fit that bill and universally we laugh at how much easier it is to function in the civilian world. When you've adapted to dealing with the ridiculous amount of just plain horrible shit people do to each other on a daily basis a retreat into a world where your are absolved of dealing with it makes life sweet indeed. Why? Because you know something about humanity and life most people will NEVER understand.

There's an old saying that goes "If you haven't been there, you wouldn't understand". If you haven't lived on the edge of getting yourself killed there is no way on earth you can comprehend what the air out there smells like. No way.
I support lawyers & lobbyists all day. Most days I want to kill myself.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Hondo Wrote:There will never be a true meritocracy as long as there is a human element to anything. It's a shame, but it's also reality.

Sorry bro...but I'm not buying your argument that academic stress is equal to that of that endured by people who risk their lives daily. The bullshit quota is probably the same or perhaps greater, but the stress level is not. How many professors do you see dealing with PTSD? What's the average lifespan of a professor versus a cop, fireman or soldier? I'm not saying at all that the civilian world isn't stressful...it certainly is. When you've walked both sides though the comparison is night and day. There are many of us ex-LEO's now well into their second (or third) careers. I stay in touch with a number of people who fit that bill and universally we laugh at how much easier it is to function in the civilian world. When you've adapted to dealing with the ridiculous amount of just plain horrible shit people do to each other on a daily basis a retreat into a world where your are absolved of dealing with it makes life sweet indeed. Why? Because you know something about humanity and life most people will NEVER understand.

There's an old saying that goes "If you haven't been there, you wouldn't understand". If you haven't lived on the edge of getting yourself killed there is no way on earth you can comprehend what the air out there smells like. No way.

1. You did completely miss my point, so see above. I nowhere stated the stress level was the same. Also you can continue to say that your stress level is less in your current job than the one you had, but you don't live other people's lives so how do you know its the same? I know a few military guys who think its much easier to be in the military than not. But I am not saying that is universal. or true I am not saying I don't buy that it isn't more stressful but your anecdotal evidence wont sway me until I see some real science on it.

2. Just because you think there can never be a meritocracy doesn't mean you shouldn't work towards it.

3. I would never teach my kid "fuck it and move on", I don't want my kid to be a quitter nor to accept unfairness. I would empower them to try to change things and not just accept status quo.
Joe Wrote:I support lawyers & lobbyists all day. Most days I want to kill myself.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

are you in Dante's first circle?
I didn't miss it....academic stress or "pressure in academia" is equally applicable in what I'm referring to. There is no stressor greater than knowing you might get killed at any given moment. When you adapt to that, nothing else is even close.
Hondo Wrote:I didn't miss it....academic stress or "pressure in academia" is equally applicable in what I'm referring to. There is no stressor greater than knowing you might get killed at any given moment. When you adapt to that, nothing else is even close.

that wasn't my point, that was a silly example- my point is its complete bull to say 'you will never know' because you haven't lived through it.
Ok, tell me what it's like to kick in a door, take fire and then shoot someone in the head from 10 feet away. Be specific please. Since you haven't "lived it" you surely then can explain it right?
Hondo Wrote:Ok, tell me what it's like to kick in a door, take fire and then shoot someone in the head from 10 feet away. Be specific please. Since you haven't "lived it" you surely then can explain it right?

Just like you can't explain the stress of living in academia because you haven't lived it. Its a fallacy.

You can't on one hand say "you don't know you didn't live it" and then on the other say "academia is def. easier even though I haven't lived it."

Its called an imagination- do you know exactly what its like to do a dissertation? No, but you can probably get a pretty good estimate of it.