Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grills information
Today on the show Covino was wanting some information on grills, etc so that he can cook like a man in SoCal.

I figured that I'd post what I know in hopes that I can help him as well as any other folks that want/need info.

When it comes to outdoor cooking you basically have two things. You have grills and you have smokers. There is some cross over between them but generally grills are for cooking things where having a high heat for a shorter duration will allow for cooking perfection. Smokers deal in lower heat for long term cooking.

I have both and enjoy cooking on both but they are completely different.

There are two main kinds of grills. Gas and charcoal. Gas is easier, faster, and cleaner and charcoal has better flavor. There seemed to be a bit of confusion from Covino today about charcoal. Charcoal is a one time use product. You put as much of it in the grill as needed and it is lit and completely consumed. So before you use the grill you may need to remove the ashes before your next batch. You will have smudges and stuff around your grill. But the taste (as long as you don't use lighter fluid) is superior and you can get a hotter grill with charcoal. Note to Covino - Since you like your steaks and stuff well done, this isn't nearly as important for you because the higher temps help with getting a good crust but still leaving the inside nice and medium rare. Lower temp for longer is what gets you well done without burning your high priced dead cow. Just knowing how you hate messes and don't like hassles, I'd skip charcoal and just get yourself a good propane grill. They are easy, clean, fast, etc. The flavor on a new propane grill is good but not great. As your grill cures (AKA letting the meat juices accumulate on the grill components) the flavor improves.

As stated, smokers are for cooking low and slow. Just like grills, there are options. You have wood/charcoal and electric. The most popular wood/charcoal smoker is the Big Green Egg. It is a really incredible thing however it is expensive. Its calling card is that it holds and maintains temperature extraordinarily well. At the local high end fireplace/smoker store, they bake cakes, etc on the egg as proof of its ability to maintain temp. I personally prefer to use an electric smoker. The one that I use is a Cookshack Smokette. Link-> http://store.cookshack.com/c-63-smokers.aspx Also not inexpensive (if you are patient you can get some deals occasionally), but is as close to set it and forget it as you can get. The amount of cleaning is minimal and the taste is out of this world. It still smokes but the unit is so air tight that to smoke 20+ pounds of pork shoulder (for pulled pork), I burn about 5 ounces of wood. That is really good because unless you have the right kinds of wood readily at hand, it can get very expensive.

Anyway, I can help answer any other questions you may have.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
I think the best bet for Covino might be to get the duel gas.charcoal grill, they are more expensive, I think around $350 at Lowes, but it will give Covino the opportunity to cool quick and easy on the gas most of the time, which fits his lifestyle better, but a few times a year, he can all out throw down a sick BBQ on the charcoal side and still cook the basic burgers and dogs on the gas side.

Personally, I would rather spend the extra 10 minutes of prep time on any food than use gas, the taste is absolutely different. And I would NEVER cook a steak on gas, might as well just throw it in a frying pan. :killme:
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:I think the best bet for Covino might be to get the duel gas.charcoal grill, they are more expensive, I think around $350 at Lowes, but it will give Covino the opportunity to cool quick and easy on the gas most of the time, which fits his lifestyle better, but a few times a year, he can all out throw down a sick BBQ on the charcoal side and still cook the basic burgers and dogs on the gas side.

Personally, I would rather spend the extra 10 minutes of prep time on any food than use gas, the taste is absolutely different. And I would NEVER cook a steak on gas, might as well just throw it in a frying pan. :killme:

So when is steak/ribs night?
I smoked ribs last weekend. I have flat out got cooking ribs down at this point. Four hours but worth the wait.

I'll cook steaks on my gas grill. Is it the best thing in the world? No, but I've learned to make them taste darn good. I just don't like the mess and time requirements of charcoal.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Thanks for the info bro!
-POKES WEARS SWOCKS!-

C & R Got FAAAAME! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.covinoandrich.com">http://www.covinoandrich.com</a><!-- m -->
Pokes28 Wrote:I smoked ribs last weekend. I have flat out got cooking ribs down at this point. Four hours but worth the wait.
I did this on Memorial Day weekend. Paired them with some smoked mac and cheese :high5:
Weber. Gas. Done
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:Weber. Gas. Done

Reminds me of Ted Nugents recipe.
Kill stuff. Add Fire.
Gas is for amateurs and lazy people

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:Gas is for amateurs and lazy people
For some of us our days are only 24 hours long.

Sent from the cockles of my heart, maybe the liver, maybe the kidneys, we dont know
Brampton Wrote:

Sent from the cockles of my heart, maybe the liver, maybe the kidneys, we dont know

So you are saying you can not multitask? An extra 10 minutes really kills your day huh?

Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

So you are saying you can not multitask? An extra 10 minutes really kills your day huh?

Umm yeah it kills my day. I don't have a job where I can sit in a car all day looking at Kate Upton pics. I got shit to get done!

PLus who wants to deal with buying charcoal every day and then having to deal with throwing it out each time. What a waste of time and money.

You know when you go to a good restaraunt and get an amazing steak what they cook it on? Not Charcoal.
Gas is gay

Sent from my taint.

Oh yeah? Well I got something, faster, cheaper and easier then both of you.
Under $35 for 80 square inches of 'grilling'.

[Image: 41XDkB3exfL._SL380_.jpg]
Chip Wrote:Oh yeah? Well I got something, faster, cheaper and easier then both of you.
Under $35 for 80 square inches of 'grilling'.

[Image: 41XDkB3exfL._SL380_.jpg]

And its guaranteed :roflmao:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dudebro Convention 2012 information and discussion Pete Nice 17 7,757 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice