Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Corvette ZR1 Takes on Nurburgring
It's kind of racing related.
I love the g-force monitor.

Faster then a whole lot of really expensive cars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

Check out the view from the driver’s seat as the Corvette ZR1 makes its way around the famed Nurburgring. Corvette engineer Jim Mero recorded a lap time of 7:19.63, eclipsing the previous Corvette-best lap set in 2008 by more than six seconds!

[youtube]5yKb6iSWc0k[/youtube]
I was really hoping to see more than 182 on the straight.

I drove a 2008 Z06 for a couple days and was blown away by the performance it had. I got 181 out on I-75 in Kentucky before I had to get out of it. That straight was a lot longer though than the one at the 'Ring.
Hondo Wrote:I was really hoping to see more than 182 on the straight.

I drove a 2008 Z06 for a couple days and was blown away by the performance it had. I got 181 out on I-75 in Kentucky before I had to get out of it. That straight was a lot longer though than the one at the 'Ring.
The gearing of the trans and rear gears will limit the top speed for the sake of cornering speeds

Sent from my balls
Brampton Wrote:

The gearing of the trans and rear gears will limit the top speed for the sake of cornering speeds

Sent from my balls

At one point in the video they said they started with a production Vette and only added safety equipment.
So that must be something they changed from '08 to '12.
Because really, race courses included, how many places can you get up close to 200mph?
Chip Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

Sent from my balls

At one point in the video they said they started with a production Vette and only added safety equipment.
So that must be something they changed from '08 to '12.
Because really, race courses included, how many places can you get up close to 200mph?
Some F1 tracks they could, but yeah for the most part road courses aren't designed for it

Sent from my balls
Brampton Wrote:The gearing of the trans and rear gears will limit the top speed for the sake of cornering speeds

Well....no.

Top speed is limited by a the final drive ratio of the rear-end but cornering speed has nothing to do with it. Cornering speed is a function of driver ability and the suspension. They are two separate concepts.
Hondo Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:The gearing of the trans and rear gears will limit the top speed for the sake of cornering speeds

Well....no.

Top speed is limited by a the final drive ratio of the rear-end but cornering speed has nothing to do with it. Cornering speed is a function of driver ability and the suspension. They are two separate concepts.
Actually they match the rear gears to the trans gearing to capitalize on the engine power to take agressive cornering. Yes suspension is a part of it, but if your gearing is to steep you cant attack the corners apex

Sent from my balls
The problem though is you can't match ratios in a road car because every corner is different. Entry and exit speed, radius and apex are different. There's no way you can match transmission rations with rear-end ratios when the curve variables are unknown. You can certainly do that on a race car for specific tracks but that's as far as it goes.
:atm:
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Hondo Wrote:The problem though is you can't match ratios in a road car because every corner is different. Entry and exit speed, radius and apex are different. There's no way you can match transmission rations with rear-end ratios when the curve variables are unknown. You can certainly do that on a race car for specific tracks but that's as far as it goes.

Can't it just be broken down to, a car is either geared for top end speed, or acceleration?
WOW, me wantie ZR1, the sweetest 100k car you can buy. :rock:
Covino: "I am awesome because, I have a hate site and a fan site!"
Covino: "IF THIS IS CLOUT, RICH IS PINK ..KID KELLY IS BLUE :doggystyle"