Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Offseason
Chip Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:
Chip Wrote:Philly isn't bringing Carcillo back. :happy:
And Powe is gone.
A couple million closer to Richards? Webber?
Weber isn't leaving nashville

sent from a polish train car

I think there's at least a decent shot.

Or even Stamkos?
I've seen his name come up more often with Philly stories.
SO Philly traded the younger (by 5 years), better, cheaper Richards so they could sign the older, pricier, more injury prone Richards. Great move! Confusedarcasm:

Stamkos will never wear the shit orange of Philly, mark my words, he wants to win....
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:SO Philly traded the younger (by 5 years), better, cheaper Richards so they could sign the older, pricier, more injury prone Richards. Great move! Confusedarcasm:

Stamkos will never wear the shit orange of Philly, mark my words, he wants to win....

All I know is Philly will have a lot of cap room, and if they trade Versteeg like then should, they'll have a lot more.
And the fact that Shero and Burns aren't in the HOF, shows that the voters can be morons.
Belfour is the only first year eligible that I would put in. I see a few others that deserve it on the eligible list thoug, I would put in about 10 this year.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pen resigned Asham, 1 yr $775k.

I still don't like Asham and would rather have given that money to Talbot or Kennedy.

But I know it has to irk Flyer fans just a little bit....

Ass ham. ror

sent from a tornado
You wonder if Maxime Talbot ever in a million years imagined himself saying that he just thought the Philadelphia Flyers would be the right fit for him.

The right fit?

Imagine Joe Hatfield wandering over to the McCoy family farm and saying he thought this would be a good place for him to hang out for the next eight or nine years.

Still, that's where Talbot found himself Friday, talking about winning a Cup in Philadelphia.

Somehow it just seems wrong, a crime against nature if you will.

We remember watching Talbot scrap with Daniel Carcillo in Game 6 of the 2009 Eastern Conference quarterfinals in Philadelphia. The Flyers led 3-0 in the game and looked ready to force a seventh game back in Pittsburgh when Talbot threw down way outside his weight class with Carcillo.

He took a pounding, but the Penguins stormed back to win the game and eliminated the Flyers on home ice. Many credited Talbot's truculence as a catalyst to that win.

Later that spring, Talbot immortalized himself in Pittsburgh sports folklore by scoring both goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals as Pittsburgh upended Detroit in Game 7 at Joe Louis Arena to bring home the Pens' first Cup since 1992.

The outgoing, irreverent Talbot said Friday he thought he was going to play his whole career in Pittsburgh. But the Penguins couldn't accommodate his salary demands.

Now, he's a Flyer, having signed a five-year deal worth $9 million. Go figure.

"I wanted to go with a team that had a chance to win a championship this year and maybe more than one," Talbot said.

The Talbot signing was part two of "Let's Tick Off The Penguins" day in Philadelphia.

After Jaromir Jagr had annoyed Detroit and Pittsburgh to the point that they both publicly withdrew from their courting of the enigmatic star, Jagr signed a one-year deal worth $3.3 million to become a Flyer.

Never mind the fairytale return to Pittsburgh, now Jagr will be Public Enemy No. 1 when the cross-state rivals face off against each other six times next season.

Oh well, at least he'll have company in the Flyer dressing room over in the "ex-Penguin" corner.

Now my take:

Talbot was a great Penguin, also VERY good in the community. Not a superstar, but the city treated him as one and he responded with some very key contributions and phenomenal penalty killing.

It was widely known that he wanted $2.5mill a year. But for his offensive production, guys just don't get paid that much. He thought the Pens were gonna pay him anyway b/c of everything he did and does. They were not, Shero is not stupid. He is worth a max (pun intended) of $1.5 and 5yrs is a joke. If he would have signed a one year deal, the Pens probably would have met the 1.9 though. I think the 1.9 was the best he could get anywhere, cup contending or not.

I think he got pissed b/c the Pens wanted a realistic contract with him and he felt he deserved more for all he has done, the days of paying guys for past performances has gone with the arrival of the salary cap. SO he says he wants to be with a team that has a chance to win a cup now and several in the near future (Flyer jab coming), well has he seen the Flyers track record? 1975 anyone? Are you telling me that from among Tampa, Boston, Washington, Buffalo, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit, San Jose and Anaheim, he could find a match to what he got? I think he went to the Flyers on purpose to spurn the Pens. He will come back dragging his tail after 5 years of playoff disappointment.....

FYI, I also think Jagr might have signed with the Flyers out of spite a bit for the Pens pulling their offer. But with Jagr, it also could have all been a bunch of bullshit salary grab bidding war from the get go.

My East Power Rankings after day 1 of free agency:

1. Boston
2. Penguins
3. Washington
4. Tampa
5. Buffalo
6. Montreal
7. Flyers
8. Carolina

Buffalo jumps and Flyers drop as those are the two teams that seem to have gotten stronger and weaker respectively.

There was an issued with Talbot's contract, and it was rejected. Something about how it dropped by more then 50% for the last 2 years. 2.25 mil to 1 mil, something like that. I guess they just have to rework it.

I'd like to know the whole time line for the Jagr stuff. It doesn't make sense that Pitt would drop their 2 mil offer, then Det would drop their 2.5 mil offer, then Jagr would convince someone to pay 3 mil?

1.5 for Vokoun? holy shit.
Colorado traded a 1st and a 2nd to Washington for what's-his-name-goalie, then signed him to a deal. If they had just signed him to an offer sheet, for that same deal, they only would have only had to give up a 2nd. Someone fucked up.
Pete Nice Wrote:My East Power Rankings after day 1 of free agency:

1. Boston
2. Penguins
3. Washington
4. Tampa
5. Buffalo
6. Montreal
7. Flyers
8. Carolina

Buffalo jumps and Flyers drop as those are the two teams that seem to have gotten stronger and weaker respectively.

:crank:
Come back with this when Philly is out of the race for the top of the division.
The story of Brad Richards.

[youtube]QNWbi1U-kf8[/youtube]
You can't buy a Stanley Cup, you have to develop and add key pieces, not buy all the pieces. The best three players on the Rangers are the guys they brought through their system, Callahan, Staal and Lunndqvst, without those three, the Rangers would be the Islanders.

July and August suck.
The biggest news out there is this, the new logo.
If they really wanted to call them the Jets, they would have done it a whole lot sooner. And had it ready for the draft.
Because it took so long, you know they looked at every other option first.

And I still say they should have gone with the Moose.

[Image: 6a01157061294d970b0153901c8cfd970b-pi]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 Offseason Chip 117 27,557 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  2011-2012 Season Chip 177 36,173 06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: LeNeve
  2011 Preseason Chip 13 5,284 09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Chip
  2011 Playoffs. Chip 166 39,872 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Chip
  2010-2011 season Pete Nice 206 47,281 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM