Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Francisco
back in October-November 2008 I drove the coast of California, Started in San Francisco & ended in San Diego.

It was a classic trip I did solo, visited family & a friend, saw landmarks & tourists sights

This October on Columbus weekend, me & the girlfriend are going back to San Francisco and will drive some of the coast.

The hotel I stayed at in 2008 is way too expensive that weekend. over $400 a night, when I paid $200 a night back in 2008. Its called the Argonaut Hotel which I loved & its right in the Fisherman Wharf

Can anyone recommend a good hotel that in convenient in location to the Fisherman's Wharf?

any sightseeing tips except for the obvious ones?
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Donginator Wrote:back in October-November 2008 I drove the coast of California, Started in San Francisco & ended in San Diego.

It was a classic trip I did solo, visited family & a friend, saw landmarks & tourists sights

This October on Columbus weekend, me & the girlfriend are going back to San Francisco and will drive some of the coast.

The hotel I stayed at in 2008 is way too expensive that weekend. over $400 a night, when I paid $200 a night back in 2008. Its called the Argonaut Hotel which I loved & its right in the Fisherman Wharf

Can anyone recommend a good hotel that in convenient in location to the Fisherman's Wharf?

any sightseeing tips except for the obvious ones?

I can't give you any advise, not familiar with the area, but I would love to make that trip you made in 2008 by myself also. You can do so much more by yourself and have no limitations or have to do things you don't want to. The only bad thing about being by yourself is you need to find someone to take pictures of you. I guess you could buy a good tripod or something.

I would also love to do the same trip with my wife, after I did it alone, so I can look cool showing her all the cool spots.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Did the the entire West Coast from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles last summer as part of my cross country ride on my Harley. The stretch from Monterrey to Santa Barbara was one of my favorite parts of the whole ride. Check out travelzoo.com and see if you can find any deals. Make sure and see the Hearst Castle and take plenty of pictures around Big Sur. CA 1 is a MUST ride/drive for anyone who wants to see spectacular scenery. Hope the weather is good for you guys.
a quick update- I posted this in the listening thread, then remembered I had a thread about my trip here

After our recent trip to Atlantic City & missing out on a great rate because we waited too long to book the room, I decided to book our San Fran hotel now

I was all set on the Donatello Hotel in Union square- the price is right and much cheaper than everything else.
Most rooms are over $400 a night because of a huge Oracle conference.

If you pre-pay with no refunds/no cancellations the room is $200/night, $225 after fees & taxes
if you book with no pre-pay but you can cancel its $225/night, $250 after fee's & taxes

what would you do? save the $50?
here are the trip advisor & hotel links
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/donatello_hotel/">http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/donatello_hotel/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d81394-Reviews-The_Donatello_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html">http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ornia.html</a><!-- m -->

since I am so paranoid about pre-paying, I looked into one other hotel the chancellor in Union Square
Its $225/night, $250 after fee's & taxes, and right around the block from donatello
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d115644-Reviews-Chancellor_Hotel_on_Union_Square-San_Francisco_California.html">http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ornia.html</a><!-- m -->

I value everyone's advice and this is why I post so many trip questions, peace of mind to me is a huge thing
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
San Fran is the most expensive city in the country, more so than NYC by a rather large amount.

What about Hostels? I have never stayed in one, but at those rates, might look into it. Even $200 is a shitload. IF your vacation time is approved and you have plane tickets, I say save the $50.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:San Fran is the most expensive city in the country, more so than NYC by a rather large amount.

What about Hostels? I have never stayed in one, but at those rates, might look into it. Even $200 is a shitload. IF your vacation time is approved and you have plane tickets, I say save the $50.
San Fran has a nice hostel, but we are only doing 2 nights in the city then staying with my cousin the remainder of the trip, I am close to booking the pre-pay
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
If you're able to drive down the coast at all, check out Pismo Beach....its my home away from home. I'm going to retire there Smile Also a little bit inland is the Paso Robles area which has MANY wineries and vineyards if you're into wine Smile
Mauro Wrote:If you're able to drive down the coast at all, check out Pismo Beach....its my home away from home. I'm going to retire there Smile Also a little bit inland is the Paso Robles area which has MANY wineries and vineyards if you're into wine Smile
we booked the pre-pay hotel

After staying with my cousin in Santa Cruz area, we are going to drive the PCH down to Morro Bay/Pismo Beach area, we will probably stay one night in that area and see Hearst Castle.

Then drive back up to San Fran on the 101
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
I went to San Fran when I was a kid and just stayed at my uncle's house in San Jose. Just north of the bridge is Fisherman's Wharf and north that are where a ton of homeless people live. (Dad wanted to take the scenic tour :? )
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
trip is coming up, starting to make all the final plans.

Next step is a rental car, whats everyone rental car agency of choice?
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Google discount codes for the major agencies. I've been lucky with Enterprise and the University of California alumni code. Last time out west I got a full size for $25 a day that way.
Donginator Wrote:trip is coming up, starting to make all the final plans.

Next step is a rental car, whats everyone rental car agency of choice?

You can try something from here.

http://dealnews.com/c209/Everything-Else...r-Rentals/
That is where having my GF's parents 45 minutes out of the city rocks - I need to get out there again soon

lemme hit up the old lady and see if she can think of anything for you....
doh, just saw that you booked the room

nevermind

but when I was out in LA last Sept I rented from Enterprise, actually got a good deal and they upgraded me to a brand new Mustang for free :rock:
I like Thrifty,best prices and I usually get a Charger and beat the shit out of it.