Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camaro Engine
As some of you guys know, I have a 1986 camaro IROC Z28. I built a bad ass engine for it years ago, then an oil line blew, and it shot connecting rods through the block on the highway at 70 mph. Anyway I decided this is the year, I get it back on the road. I really need to do it as cheap as possible, I've had 3 kids, and bought a house since I built the engine 10 years ago. So money is tight.

I've realized that I can't keep going through the day to day grind of life, without a hobby I love.

I plan on talking to the few engine shops around here, and getting some quotes.

I have the heads, intake, and carb, I'm looking for a ready built 4 bolt main, that has the cam already. I also need the oil pan, oil pump. push rods.

I've looked all over jegs, and summit. They have stuff for cheap, but most of it includes the heads, and other junk I don't need.

The engine that was built for me would have retailed 5,000 at the least. They did me a solid for working there you know.

Anybody know other places online? Am I better off just getting a custom build locally? What can I do to talk the local guy's prices down?
Now this may sound strange, but in nc there is a place where you can get used nascar stuff for cheap

I wish i remembered the name of it.

However have you looked at the scrapyards for a truck engine?
WRecker motors are usually pretty cheap
Brampton Wrote:Now this may sound strange, but in nc there is a place where you can get used nascar stuff for cheap

I wish i remembered the name of it.

However have you looked at the scrapyards for a truck engine?
WRecker motors are usually pretty cheap

My Grandpa let me yank a 4 bolt main engine from one of his old trucks back when I was building it. The only thing I used was the block, and the crank, and heads. Totally re-machined. From there, the shop I worked at provided everything else, I worked the heads over. The heads are ported polished, have HUGE valves.

When I say yank, that means I brought a tractor with a cherry picker from my stepdad's farm, and literally yanked it out of the truck. I think it was a 1979 3/4 ton.
I'm not going to drop a used engine in it. It has to be freshly machined, and everything.
Would you call it a 'Bitchin Camaro'?

[youtube]1v3CzvQ9e_w[/youtube]
I wonder what newer cars would have something that you could drop in there. I know when I had bearing issues with my Cobra it was going to cost a fortune to have it rebuilt. I found a place in PA that dealt with Mach 1s and Cobras. That guy had a full yard full of wrecked ones. I could have bought a used 4.6 with 50K on it for $2000. For wanted $4600 for a rebuilt short block.
The problem isnt finding the engine its the price. 4 bolt mains arent cheap, but it is a chev so its not too bad

You cant use modern ford engines in some old cars cause they are 90 degree blocks and they dont fit
Brampton Wrote:The problem isnt finding the engine its the price. 4 bolt mains arent cheap, but it is a chev so its not too bad

You cant use modern ford engines in some old cars cause they are 90 degree blocks and they dont fit

I'm pretty sure they have Chevy 350s on the shelves at Walmart.
Joe Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:The problem isnt finding the engine its the price. 4 bolt mains arent cheap, but it is a chev so its not too bad

I'm pretty sure they have Chevy 350s on the shelves at Walmart.
True, so very true
How nice is the body on this thing? If it's not that great I'd maybe see if you can get a late 80s Mustand LX. Seems like it would be a lot easier to get parts for.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blown engine Pete Nice 10 3,932 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Last Post: negadave