Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 weeks...
I remember that big stink that was caused when Jr's old crew chief said, "Don't lay down on me now" over the radio. That kind of gave me the impression that maybe he's just driving around collecting a paycheck.
I think Jr enjoys being an owner more. I want to see him do good as a driver, but he probably should give up and give that ride to someone who will actually do something with it.
Looks like NASCAR is back at it with slowing the cars down again because they hit 206MPH. Aren't Indy cars running at like 230MPH?

With the cooling changes they are making to slow cars down I'm sure there are going to be a lot of blown engines on Sunday.
And they made the restrictor plates smaller by 1/64th of an inch
Brian Wrote:And they made the restrictor plates smaller by 1/64th of an inch

Yeah, I just now got to that article. I wonder how fast todays car would be without a plate at all.
Joe Wrote:

Yeah, I just now got to that article. I wonder how fast todays car would be without a plate at all.
with the right gearing for the 900+ hp, they would be stable at 210mph, but they would be scary from the size and weight of the cars in the corners.

they do hit near 200 at atlanta on the straights year after year
Joe Wrote:Looks like NASCAR is back at it with slowing the cars down again because they hit 206MPH. Aren't Indy cars running at like 230MPH?

With the cooling changes they are making to slow cars down I'm sure there are going to be a lot of blown engines on Sunday.

I heard, I think it was Indy, maybe F1, that on the smaller tracks, the cars were pulling so many G's for a long enough time that blood was being pulled from the drivers eyes and the were starting to loose sight.
Chip Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Looks like NASCAR is back at it with slowing the cars down again because they hit 206MPH. Aren't Indy cars running at like 230MPH?

I heard, I think it was Indy, maybe F1, that on the smaller tracks, the cars were pulling so many G's for a long enough time that blood was being pulled from the drivers eyes and the were starting to loose sight.

I think that was happening at Texas Motor Speedway with the Indy cars.
Joe Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

I think that was happening at Texas Motor Speedway with the Indy cars.

It was a long time ago, and I couldn't remember if they were starting to loose their sight, or black out.
But it just shows that there are limits as to what humans can do, and the cars are almost at that point.
I think they are doing RaceView for free.

http://premium.nascar.com/pr/races/racev...t=raceview
Joe Wrote:
Brian Wrote:I wonder how fast todays car would be without a plate at all.

From 2004:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/06/10/rwallace_talladega/index.html">http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlin ... index.html</a><!-- m -->

Wide open now I'd say 250 at the end of the straights and 235 average lap times. The problem is that they can't keep the cars from going airborne and over the fence into the crowd in a crash. My thinking is knowing that could happen would make it more entertaining to watch.
Hondo Wrote:
Joe Wrote:
Brian Wrote:I wonder how fast todays car would be without a plate at all.

From 2004:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/06/10/rwallace_talladega/index.html">http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlin ... index.html</a><!-- m -->

Wide open now I'd say 250 at the end of the straights and 235 average lap times. The problem is that they can't keep the cars from going airborne and over the fence into the crowd in a crash. My thinking is knowing that could happen would make it more entertaining to watch.

It would also get rid of the slower nascar spectators.
Joe Wrote:

A few years ago Rusty Wallace did a non restrictor plate run at Talladega right before they started to run the COT. He topped out at around 230mph.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
Brampton Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

with the right gearing for the 900+ hp, they would be stable at 210mph, but they would be scary from the size and weight of the cars in the corners.

they do hit near 200 at atlanta on the straights year after year
They get pretty close to that at Pocono too.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]