Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protect Hockey Players the Euro Way
So I am not one to preach about injuries in sports, I am all about manning up and playing, but the major sports leagues prefer to be pussies about it, so here is a way I read to prevent hockey head injuries without becoming huge pussies by adopting some international rules.

1. Ban all head shots - Despite the recent ban on blindside hits, there's been no decrease in NHL concussions. Time to follow the lead of the International Ice Hockey Foundation, which penalizes any head contact at all.

I like this b/c the NHL is super inconsistent with enforcing the head shot penalty. Richards and Cooke should have had a long seat on the bench last year, in the game and for a good 10 games after. Crosby has been out for going on two weeks b/c of head shots in the Winter Classic and the game after, neither of which were penalized, let alone suspensions handed out. If your gonna pussify the game and start penalizing, fining and suspending for head shots, just do it for all of them, even accidental ones, makes it a fucking hell of a lot easier.

2. Institute no-touch icing - Eliminating headlong races for first touch curbs colossal, end-board collisions between full-bore defensemen and forwards.

I also like this one, I call it "The Ovechkin Rule" that dirty motherfucker is going to kill a defenseman one of these days. Why race all the way back when 99 out of 100 times, the defensemen gets there first anyway.

3. Ditch the trapezoid - If goaltenders can play the puck anywhere, and not just directly behind the net, D-men have to do less back-to-the-action puck retrieval, and thus are targets of fewer blindside hits.

Again, I like this. Why limit the goalie? It is just dumb. It also allows the goalie to make dumb decisions that lead to easy goals by skilled teams. Take the risk, pay the price.

4. Expand the Ice - Increasing the playing surface to international dimensions (200 feet x 100 feet as opposed to 200 x 85) enhances the value of skilled players. But it also makes lumbering enforcers obsolete. Guys incapable of contributing with their gloves on will soon be out of the league.

I have been an advocate for Euro Ice since the early 90's. The game needs to open up and also skill players the room to move and make plays without clutching, grabbing and trapping as much. I don't really know about the point about making enforcers obsolete, but who really cares abour enforcers anymore anyway? There are enough guys who are willing to fight and actually have skills that we don't really need an enforcer anymore, although we do still need fights. I will take my team as an example. Eric Goddard is worthless. He dresses only for Flyer, Ranger and Capital games and maybe Boston. He provides nothing to the team outside of fighting those 3 to 4 teams. Get rid of him. The Pens have guys who can fight, and fight good, and still contrubite skill wise, like Mike Rupp, Engelland and Talbot. Let's get rid of the Jody Shelley's and Eric Godard's. I see this also taking away what I call "the big galloot defense" This defense is played by defensemen like Hall Gill, Darien Hatcher, Chris Pronger, Zdeno Charra and a few other guys who basically just throw themselves in front of the skater and use their size to make the play. I would prefer to see defensemen make the play utilizing their skills as a defensemen. Then people will stop chirping about those overrated galloots being good and realize they are just average defensemen who skate poorly and might have a big slap shot. There is just no reason to not expand the ice.

5. Make Majors Matter - Players shouldn't have to subject themselves to concussions by fighting to keep pests in line. So how about this: For major penalties, the opposition selects which skater spends the five minutes in the box - and the offending player has to stay on the ice for the first two minutes of the power play.

I like this. It would effect my team, in that Cooke and Goddard would lead to Crosby and Malkin being off the ice more often, or maybe teams would pick a player like Jordan Staal to put in the box, the best penalty killers on each team. It also keeps a terrible penalty killer, like Goddard or Jody Shelley, on the ice for the first two minutes of the PK, which would vastly increase the chances of a goal resulting from the offense. It would not effect Cooke, as he is already one of the top 4 PK guys, but how many "pest" players fit that bill?

In summary, I like all these ideas, they would make the game more interesting and open up a roster spot on most teams for another guy who can contribute without really taking away the fights. I say, anything that allows for more offense and less injury is OK in my book.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I also don't really expect anyone but Chip and Brampton to actually read this.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
I just read it
Joe Wrote:I just read it

Thoughts?

Pete Nice Wrote:

Thoughts?

Just a couple lines in, and on this head shot topic, one thought I always have is (not necessarily in response to what Pete is saying), where was all this out cry when Lindros was getting his head caved in?
It was alwayshis fault for skating with his head down.
And Stevens was applauded for his whole career for destroying people.
Chip Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

Thoughts?

Just a couple lines in, and on this head shot topic, one thought I always have is (not necessarily in response to what Pete is saying), where was all this out cry when Lindros was getting his head caved in?
It was alwayshis fault for skating with his head down.
And Stevens was applauded for his whole career for destroying people.

I blame Bettman, I liked it far better when it was Lindros's fault and when you had to know where Stevens was at all times. Bunch of pussies and Bettman is the lead pussy.

But I would like to see less injuries. I am all for big hits as long as the guy is able to come back same game and play.

Not to mention that Lindros was such a HUGE bitch, that no one really gave a fuck what happened to him.

Pete Nice Wrote:

Thoughts?

1. Yes
2. Yes - Is this a Euro thing? Does it lead to less icing calls? If so I like it a lot.
3. Yes
4. Yes - I like a more open faster paced game.
5. Not realy. - I like how fighting plays into the strategy.
Pete Nice Wrote:Not to mention that Lindros was such a HUGE bitch, that no one really gave a fuck what happened to him.

He would have been a lot better if his parents weren't involved.
I read it (if you can believe that)
:nothingtoadd:
1. It works good in theory, but I have a couple issues with a total ban. First, the height differense of guys. The taller guys won't be able to body check anymore, and the smaller guys will be almost untouchables. Second, all a player has to do is lead with his head, and he'll be untouchable. Holik says it every time it comes up, players just have to protect themselves

2. Is it the OHL that does that? Or the AHL? I would be fine with it, but the players have never liked the idea, so who knows if it would ever go through.

3. YES! You notice where lot of those boarding calls happen? When a player gets nudged from behind and falls face first into the boards. In those corners where the puck gets dumped in, and left because the goalie can't play it. Other then that, it's just a stupid rule.

4. It would be cool. But, I bet it would cost too much to modify the existing rinks. It would probably have to be something where all new arenas would have to be made to be easily converted. And the argument against it that I've heard is that it's getting rid of the the most expensive seats. Which is stupid. If you get rid of rows 1-5, then rows 6-10 become the new 1-5. You're really only getting rid of the back row.

5. There's no way that'll ever happen. If you get the heavy weight fighters out, I think that'll fix the concusions from fighting problem. I love it when skilled guys like Iginla, even Datsyuk threw down this year.
Pete Nice Wrote:Not to mention that Lindros was such a HUGE bitch, that no one really gave a fuck what happened to him.
If they had any rules about headshots when he was playing he wpuld have had a much longer career.

His head injuries started in junior, and as we all know head injuries never go away they just get worse.

This is what shortened his career and ended his brothers. Both were phenominal players, i dont care what your opinions are. Eric lindross was a gifted player whos career was ended way too early
Chip Wrote:1. It works good in theory, but I have a couple issues with a total ban. First, the height differense of guys. The taller guys won't be able to body check anymore, and the smaller guys will be almost untouchables. Second, all a player has to do is lead with his head, and he'll be untouchable. Holik says it every time it comes up, players just have to protect themselves

I agree 100%, but the NHL is so inconsistent with enforcing it, that it might be the best way to do it. The way to stop a small guy, use a small defensemen, problem solved.

Chip Wrote:2. Is it the OHL that does that? Or the AHL? I would be fine with it, but the players have never liked the idea, so who knows if it would ever go through.

I bet Duncan Keith would be for it and Dirty Bitch Ovechkin would be against it. I think it would be better for the game and keep the game flowing.

Chip Wrote:4. It would be cool. But, I bet it would cost too much to modify the existing rinks. It would probably have to be something where all new arenas would have to be made to be easily converted. And the argument against it that I've heard is that it's getting rid of the the most expensive seats. Which is stupid. If you get rid of rows 1-5, then rows 6-10 become the new 1-5. You're really only getting rid of the back row.

Exactly, it could be done easy in all arenas now, they are all set up for Olympic play in hopes of the US getting a winter Olympics and by some off chance they get the game, they can do it in every arena now, it just that the greedy owners and Bettman would lose 100 $200 seats per game, but Chip is right, rows 5-9 would be the new 1-4. Greedy fuckers hurting the game. As stated, I am a HUGE proponent of Euro Ice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hockey Playoff Pickums Pete Nice 44 12,303 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: i bleed green
  Fantasy Hockey Pool NussieT 3 1,965 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Hockey Gods getting back at a jack ass fan Chip 3 2,071 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Favorite Players Pete Nice 10 4,214 04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Joe
  The NHL's All-Time Dirtiest Players Joe 8 3,499 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM