Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil weight
I've got a 97 isuzu rodeo with about 115k on it. The lifters on it are making alot of noise. I'm thinking about putting a heavier weight oil in it to try to quiet them down. I got some 20w 50 and was gonna use that. I know some of you guys are pretty knolegable about cars so i figured i'd ask you first. I want to make sure i'm not gonna do any damage with the thicker oil
You'll be ok on the summer time with it. I'd use something a bit thinner in colder weather just because you'll get better cold circulation. I've used 20w50 in a few of my cars although most of them were Mustangs with over 100k on them. I did use 20w50 in one of my 4 cylinders because it burned a bit of oil and I think it helped a little bit.

I gotta tell ya ever since I switched to 100% synthetic I have used the recommended weight and have never had engine problems since.

You might want to look into some of the High Mileage oils.
yeah, what Joe said.
Chances are with that many miles on it, its not gonna make a difference. The lifters are worn and the air gap has expanded. If you use 10w30, the next step would be 15w40 (diesel oil) or 20w50. Cold weather the oil will not flow enough for the engine and it will starve for oil.
I don't know what engine it is, but if its a GM engine (3.1L) that noise is very normal for that age of engine.
it's a 3.2 v6. I put the 20w 50 in but not much of a difference. I'll change back to 10 30 when the cold weather comes back around. I bought it for $1200 after i roasted the tranny in my s10 so i guess i'll just drive it till it blows up
can you adjust the valve clearance on that motor? it may just need a quick adjustment

(ok, not exactly quick or that cheap)
MMM Cunty!
if you can adjust the rocker clearance, you should only have to invest rocker cover gaskets, and a feeler gauge.