Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pokes28 goes to NYC
Sarah and I landed on Saturday afternoon and made our way to the apartment. It was on 49th St between 8th and 9th. Great location. The apartment itself was OK. Been in better, been in worse. But the location made up for a lot of ills.

Saturday evening we just wandered around Time's Square. I don't remember what we ate at all but we did make it into a pub for a few beverages.

Sunday we got up and made our way over to Foley's for an Irish Breakfast. It was good but too damn much food. The alcohol was $7 per pint so that wasn't something that we could do for too long.

After Foley's we went to Brooklyn Brewery and drank a lot of beer and went on their tour. Their tour isn't worth the time, but the beer is good and cold. We met a couple that spends most of the Sunday afternoons there. They ordered in pizza and we ate a couple slices with them.

Sunday night we went to Ninja which is a themed restaurant. The food was good (not great), and it was just a bit better than an OK experience. The bathroom was neat though. They have those amazing Japanese toilet seats that are heated, offer water cleaning front and back and then an air dry. I'll admit that it was pretty nice.

Monday was Maxim day for me and a shopping/walking day for my wife. We ate at Vinyl which was a Spot recommendation. Personally, I wouldn't eat there again. It was just kind of blah and overall an uncomfortable restaurant. Then we went to Upright Citizen's Brigade for some sketch comedy. One of the best parts of UCB is they have $3 beer.

Tuesday was wondering around day. We got up, went and got reserved seating for Jimmy Fallon. Then walked the Brooklyn Bridge, visited the UN, then went to watch the taping of the Fallon Show. Finally ate at an Italian place called Nizza at about 46th and 9th that was recommended by a friend of mine that lives in Manhattan. It was very good.

Wednesday we visited China Town then spent the rest of the day getting lost in Central Park. For dinner we decided to try world famous Carnegie Deli. I've read about it, scene it on TV, etc. But I have to say that it was perhaps the best thing I ate all trip. I love corned beef and not only was theirs the best I've ever had, the sandwich is so big that Sarah and I shared it for dinner and had enough left overs for dinner again on Thursday. Anybody going to NYC should make it a point to go to Carnegie Deli. I know I'll never make a trip without going there.

Thursday back to Brooklyn where we had Grimaldi's Pizza (gets a lot of press on Food Network and Travel Channel). They have great crust and their cheese is amazing. However their ovens are coal fired and they tend to burn the bottom of the crust. But I'm glad we stopped and had it. Word of advice, get there as they open because by the time we left, there was twenty minute wait for a table. Then back on the subway to Coney Island. We had a ball there. Great weather, Nathan's hot dogs, which we took next door and had some good cold beer. After that we went and watched the side show and then went back to the apartment. We were both wiped out due to being in the sun so much during the day that we just crashed for a couple hours. Dinner was leftovers from Carnegie Deli and then we went back to Upright Citizen's Brigade again.

Friday was Maxim Day two and Marigold's bakery ended up being lunch. We went shopping for a while and then met another friend that moved to NYC about 6 years ago. He took us to one of his favorite bars where they had a nice long happy hour. Across the street was a restaurant named Wogies where we had some great Philly Cheese Steaks (best I've ever had, but I've not been to Philly), seasoned waffle fries, and some decent hot wings.

Saturday was just getting around, having breakfast and then off to the airport.

It was a great trip.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Sounds like fun. It is hard to get everything done you want to in NYC b/c you get so tired.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]