Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brew Masters tv show
So I've tried to get into this show, but I can't.

I think the owner/main character of the show, is a huge douche bag. I can't even like the guy at all. One time he was walking around his head quarters bare footed. He also seems like more of a pot head than a beer guy. Total freaking hippy scumbag. He just seems like a shady ass dude, that when he is off the show, he is snorting coke, smacking high end prostitutes around, and doing everything opposite of what he babbles on the show.

This show also doesn't really teach me about making beer, or the process of making beer.

It has the history channel facts of the origins, mixed with a whale wars hippy vibe, splash a bit of american chopper "edge" then a "dirty jobs" explanation of the whole process. It's like they took all the hits of those channels, then put Beer as the subject matter, and mixed them all together.

I heard brew masters, and thought, "cool, I'll learn more about beer as an ameratuer". Not the case at all.
The show fucking sucks. I hate it.
what chanel is this show on.....I've never heard of it
Discovery channel. They hyped it big time, and it has been moved to different timeslots since the first show.
The guy also puts all kinds of ingredients in the beer. I thought beer was about the process, not the ingredients? I'm so confused now.

The brewing process made sense to me when Pokes explained, it was about the chemical process, temps, amount of yeast etc.. Those things made the flavor right?

Now this maniac is spitting corn into the beer, talking about sexy yeast. I guess I get putting bread into a beer. Now he says to put chamomile, and oregeno.

Please explain somebody.
I hate this show so much.
Now he is talking about putting dongs into the beer, and to worship a mummy that gave him inspiration.

I really want Pokes to make his own beer show.
When he says Discovery you have to be careful. They have American Discovery and Canadian discovery and they don't play the same programming.
I tried watching this show once. I made it about five minutes.
LeNeve Wrote:The guy also puts all kinds of ingredients in the beer. I thought beer was about the process, not the ingredients? I'm so confused now.

The brewing process made sense to me when Pokes explained, it was about the chemical process, temps, amount of yeast etc.. Those things made the flavor right?

Now this maniac is spitting corn into the beer, talking about sexy yeast. I guess I get putting bread into a beer. Now he says to put chamomile, and oregeno.

Please explain somebody.

I haven't yet watched this show. I've heard conflicting reports.

Basically what the guy has to be doing is trying to make an authentic chicha which is an age old Latin American style of beer. I've tried it. Found it really bad. However, if it is authentic they will have to use Peruvian blue corn and give it a quick chew and spit it. They will have to do a LOT as in several hundred pounds worth to get a decent batch size. To me though, that is a beer that is hard to classify as a beer. However, don't think of it as unsanitary, because it is boiled and thus sterilized in later steps.

Dogfish brewery who I think is at least part of the show and might be the main brewery in it is really out there. They have a bunch of different beers and they almost enjoy making bad beer as much as they love making good beer.

The point that you need to get from this show, or me, or some other show would be that beer has a history. It is over 5000 years old. There are records of Chinese and ancient Egyptians both having beer like processes that were very different yet yielded much the same product. The Germans invented the beer purity laws which are the oldest laws in existence today. The Catholics have a Patron Saint of Beer; Saint Arnold. He was deemed a Saint because he kept pushing people to drink beer instead of water. His main expression was "from man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." He blessed beer and sure enough people that listened to him didn't get nearly as sick during the plague. Of course we know the beer they had was very low alcohol (probably 1-2%) and was still sterile due to the brewing process so it was in fact better for people than water. Almost every brewery in the world has a picture of Saint Arnold. Bad luck in breweries tend to go away when his likeness is there. I know of several breweries that have had Priests come in and give a special blessing in the name of Arnold.

Anyway, if the show is about beer and the history and showing all the different ways that beer was made, then I'd probably like it. If it is about the guy that is brewing the beer, then odds are I wouldn't like it.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
I think it's the same guy that was in Beer Wars from Dogfish. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.
Joe Wrote:I think it's the same guy that was in Beer Wars from Dogfish. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Ah. That guy does really love beer. I don't particularly like Dogfish beer though some is pretty decent.
Pokes28 Wrote:
Joe Wrote:I think it's the same guy that was in Beer Wars from Dogfish. He seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Ah. That guy does really love beer. I don't particularly like Dogfish beer though some is pretty decent.

What I took from it was the guy had a huge passion for beer. Wether he makes good beer or not isn't something I wouldn't know about.
LeNeve Wrote:So I've tried to get into this show, but I can't.

I think the owner/main character of the show, is a huge douche bag. I can't even like the guy at all.

"cough cough, VA-NER-CHUCK, cough". Oh sorry just clearing my throught.

I roofed for a dude that started brewing his own beer. It sounded like you put alot of time and trial and error into it. He bought pre-made starter packs from a byob store. Some came out good some came out bad. Bad thing is you gotta wait a few (?) weeks or a month to find out if it's good or :barf: .

One thing was consistent. All the beers he made had like a 1/4" of yeast and crap on the bottom, and they were all pretty strong like 6.5-7.9%.

IMO good as a hobby type thing, but your probbly better off , money wise, getting something off the shelf at the packie
negadave Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:So I've tried to get into this show, but I can't.

I think the owner/main character of the show, is a huge douche bag. I can't even like the guy at all.

"cough cough, VA-NER-CHUCK, cough". Oh sorry just clearing my throught.

I roofed for a dude that started brewing his own beer. It sounded like you put alot of time and trial and error into it. He bought pre-made starter packs from a byob store. Some came out good some came out bad. Bad thing is you gotta wait a few (?) weeks or a month to find out if it's good or :barf: .

One thing was consistent. All the beers he made had like a 1/4" of yeast and crap on the bottom, and they were all pretty strong like 6.5-7.9%.

IMO good as a hobby type thing, but your probbly better off , money wise, getting something off the shelf at the packie
When my dad was in his wine making kick, he did brew a batch of beer. Didn't turn out the greatest but like you said, it was strong. He never tried it again and stuck to the wine.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
The sediment at the bottom of the bottle is actually pretty good for you. It is a sign that if taken care of, the beer you are about to drink is still a live organism. Mass producers of beer filter their beer and so they don't have any of that sediment. But the home brewer would never get any carbonation if they did that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saranac Summer Brew Brian 0 993 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Brian