Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Brewing
I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't come up before. Has anyone ever tried this? I almost ordered a kit when I was 18, 19, or 20, don't really remember, but I was thinking, "why look for someone to buy me beer, if I could just make my own". The internet wasn't a wealth of knowledge back then, so I never did it.

When I was in 7th grade living in Wichita Ks. my friends Dad made his own beer. He had a big setup in his basement, and he had shelves of plastic 2 liter bottles filled with beer. We would always swipe a couple of the bottles, and attempt to drink them. It wasn't good though. Of course at 13 years old you don't have a taste for beer. I never even got drunk off the stuff.

I got a good buzz going on once though. We were skipping school, and I talked him into letting me drive his Dad's hot rod el camino. We took our 2 liter bottles of beer with us, and I drove around Wichita, finally ending up at Wilbur Jr. High, where I started doing donuts in the parking lot. (we got caught later on).

Anyway, I'm curious if you can actually make a decent tasting beer at home. Seems like a cool hobby. I've made gut rot prison whiskey a few times, but I would like to make something I can drink and enjoy.
Added to my Christmas list
I used to brew beer with some guys I worked with. We would rotate where we brewed/bottled and made several batches of really good beer. It's too bad we don't live closer to each other because we could make a DBN brew of our own.
http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Barrel-Bright-Bee...35ae034bed

Looks like it's time to sell my car.
I've brewed beer at home (surprise!) and I will say that it is a lot of work, it is messy and since it is small batches, it is subject to a lot of variation. Meaning that when you brew the best beer in the world, you know you can never recreate it.

I gave up on it but if I could get into bigger batches and keg the beer, I'd probably give it a go again. I still have the stuff.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri