Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troegs Mad Elf
So Joe has been ranting and raving about this for some time now. It's a holiday brew made in Harrisburg.

I was out last night and the waiter mentioned it while going through the holiday beers, so I got a bottle. 11% alcohol with honey and cherry.

After the first sip, I thought it was pretty good. It is rather sweet, check, very sweet. You can really taste the cherry, but I could not really make out the honey. A friend of mine tried it and he said it tasted like bubble gum to him.

I don't chug beer, and diner arrived, so I always drink slower during diner. As the beer got warmer, I felt it tasted worse and the strong alcohol really came out in the warmer taste. I did find that if I took a drink from the bottle. let it sit in my mouth and then slide down my tongue and the back of my throat, that it seemed to taste more like that first sip.

So, I would buy a 6 pack, not a case, and milk out those 6 bottles over a few weeks. It is good, but nowhere near my top 50 beers. Drink it cold, very cold. I also think that one of these beers is more than enough for a night. And early in the night also. If I was to rate it on a 10 star scale, with 10 start being the best, I would give it a 7.

[Image: mad-elf-webpage-pic.jpg]
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
It's funny you mentioned the temperature change. I actually though it brought out the honey\cherry flavor the warmer it got.
[youtube]RG5PoohuyDo[/youtube]
This guy actually mentions a bubblegum taste.

[youtube]DxZY-zpvKKw[/youtube]
I would have to be pressured pretty hard to even try this. I don't think I would like this. I might be able to sip a glass of it with the right dinner, but that is not my style of drinking.
Pete Nice Wrote:It is good, but nowhere near my top 50 beers. If I was to rate it on a 10 star scale, with 10 start being the best, I would give it a 7.

We should do a DBN top 25 beers thread. Set up a poll with a bunch of beers and have everyone vote.
I've never seen that stuff in the store. I'm hesitant to buy new beers just cause they have a cool label. If we had a top 10 or 20 list it would make it easy and keep you from wasting your money.
negadave Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:It is good, but nowhere near my top 50 beers. If I was to rate it on a 10 star scale, with 10 start being the best, I would give it a 7.

We should do a DBN top 25 beers thread. Set up a poll with a bunch of beers and have everyone vote.
I've never seen that stuff in the store. I'm hesitant to buy new beers just cause they have a cool label. If we had a top 10 or 20 list it would make it easy and keep you from wasting your money.

Fat Tire has my number one vote. they even put snow flakes and other wintery things on the label. :beer: :beer:
negadave Wrote:

:whom:

I will buy wine based on a recommendation but rarely will to do it with beer.
JDubb Wrote:
negadave Wrote:

:whom:

I will buy wine based on a recommendation but rarely will to do it with beer.

What would be the big difference? It's just about if something tastes good or not. I don't get it. It's like saying i'll buy steak on a recomendation, but not pizza.

Couple of my top beers. Pete's wicked ale. Boston lager and guiness
The poll should allow people to vote for 3 beers. Otherwise each beer would have like one vote.
You guys just gave me an idea. I hate buying alcohol for my dad, but he's such a pain to buy for that maybe I should get him one of these beers. I would buy it for my bros-in-law, but none of them need to even drink at all.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!