Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1997 f250 heater core.
My Grandpa brought his pickup to me, so I could change out his heater core. The dealerships charge 12 hours to do this. That is 1,000 dollars in labor alone. the heater core is 125, random parts, gaskets anti freeze etc... Brings this total job pushing 1200 bucks.

I told him I would do the whole thing for 400 bucks. I get the parts at dealer cost, so that was about 100. I got the tear down done tonight in 2 hours. this is my fastest time ever. I did it in my yard, in the dark too. Thank god for extension cords, work lights, and cordless powertools.

If I get it back together in 2 hours then I will have 4 hours total in it. Minus parts I profit 300 dollars. I basically got paid 75 dollars an hour for this job. That is lawyer money, and I didn't rip off my grandpa. We both got a great deal out of this.

I have made a little over 1,000 dollars this year off side work. I traded some mechanic work, for some plumbing work too.

This is why it's good to have blue collar type friends. I need a carpenter/remodeling friend now. I suck at that stuff.
Hell bro if you lived closer I could teach you anything you ever wanted to know about it. It's not all that difficult....all you really need is a good chop saw and some basic geometry.
LeNeve Wrote:My Grandpa brought his pickup to me, so I could change out his heater core. The dealerships charge 12 hours to do this. That is 1,000 dollars in labor alone. the heater core is 125, random parts, gaskets anti freeze etc... Brings this total job pushing 1200 bucks.

I told him I would do the whole thing for 400 bucks. I get the parts at dealer cost, so that was about 100. I got the tear down done tonight in 2 hours. this is my fastest time ever. I did it in my yard, in the dark too. Thank god for extension cords, work lights, and cordless powertools.

If I get it back together in 2 hours then I will have 4 hours total in it. Minus parts I profit 300 dollars. I basically got paid 75 dollars an hour for this job. That is lawyer money, and I didn't rip off my grandpa. We both got a great deal out of this.

I have made a little over 1,000 dollars this year off side work. I traded some mechanic work, for some plumbing work too.

This is why it's good to have blue collar type friends. I need a carpenter/remodeling friend now. I suck at that stuff.
I could only help with electrical if I didn't live two timezones away. I do some work with 120 volts but mostly little jobs for family outside my work.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
LeNeve Wrote:My Grandpa brought his pickup to me, so I could change out his heater core. The dealerships charge 12 hours to do this. That is 1,000 dollars in labor alone. the heater core is 125, random parts, gaskets anti freeze etc... Brings this total job pushing 1200 bucks.

You should move to Pittsburgh.....
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]