Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F 550 gas tank
My boss has an 03 f 550 that has been having problems. The mechanic they took it to says there's a problem with those gas tanks.
They have a coating on the inside that comes off and clogs the fuel filter. It's broke down on the road and been towed twice due to this.
The guy claims they don't make any aftermarket gas tanks that elliminate this issue. Have you heard of this? Do you know of any ways to correct this issue?
negadave Wrote:My boss has an 03 f 550 that has been having problems. The mechanic they took it to says there's a problem with those gas tanks.
They have a coating on the inside that comes off and clogs the fuel filter. It's broke down on the road and been towed twice due to this.
The guy claims they don't make any aftermarket gas tanks that elliminate this issue. Have you heard of this? Do you know of any ways to correct this issue?
this is common, usually caused by using crappy gas. I'm sure there are aftermarket tanks, but the Ford ones are usually the best. Also doing the scheduled maintainence helps.....I'm not saying he doesn't maintain it or anything.

when I was at Ford......we saw this a lot, usually from the middle eastern guys using the discount diesel fuel that is crap
Yep, very common. If it's a 6.0 then low fuel pressure will damage the injectors. If it's a 7.3 it won 't damage much else. Just a major annoyance. Seems like it happens on the 7.3l more. 03 and older trucks. I've heard of sending the tanks to places, and getting them lined with something. Most of the time we just replace the tank. I think the new replacement fule tanks have a better coating in them.

Also Brampton is right. Bad diesel will ruin the tank. We see the bio diesel ruin the linings around here.