Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you living the dream (Job)?
Whether you're a butcher, a baker or a pickle maker, odds are you're not working your dream job right now. I didn't do any extensive research on this, but I'm sure if I surveyed 100 people 75% of them would say they aren't working their dream job.

I remember back in grade school when teachers would ask this question everyone wanted to be a fireman. Since everyone I graduated high school with didn't want to become a fireman when school was over I guess that dream changed for one reason or the other. People I knew wanted to become teachers, doctors, lawyers and some wanted to work in a trade. I guess that's when we started thinking logically about making money and how we would fit into one of those professions. For some people those dreams changed once again after they entered colleges and trade schools. Even after all of that a good majority of the people I know wound up doing something completely different for a living.

So what about you?

What did you want to be as a child?
What did you want to be in high school?
What did you want to be after high school?
What are you doing now?
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you?

Fireman, Police Officer, Doctor, or an Astronaut.

Doctor, or a Lawyer.

I had no plans after hgih school. I just rolled with the punches, and did whatever I felt like doing.

What are you doing now?

I'm a technician at a Ford dealership.

I'm not working at my dream job, but it's close.

I never really wanted to be a mechanic as a living. I always loved doing it though. Working on cars was always my hobby, for as long as I can remember. I loved it. I liked changing the oil on my mom's car as a young kid, I could put a spare tire on as a young kid.

I bought a broken down go cart when I was 10 years old. I had it running that day
All of us want the good paycheck. That is a natural thing.

We are better off doing something we like to do, rather than the job you hate going to in the morning.
What did you want to be as a child? Never really thought about work as a kid.

What did you want to be in high school? A pro skater or snowboarder (not happening) or run a framing crew.
What did you want to be after high school? Framing carpenter
What are you doing now? Framing houses as an employee

I used to take pride in being able to work harder than alot of people. I thought it was cool to be pushing up rafters when other people were pushing a pen. When we're done there's a house there that will be there for 100+ years. I can drive by and say i made that.
Doing paperwork or pushing computer keys sitting in a cubicle
would make me feel like i had nothing to show for my efforts.

Reality is people view construction workers like white trash. It's hard on your body, No health plan, 401 k, vaca time, stock options. You're out in the elements and you don't know if you're gonna stay busy, and you're not gonna make 200k a year doin it.

Did my own thing for awhile, but sales is not for me. I like to do the work, but i hate to "sell yourself, to sell the job". Gotta act all super friendly. While in the back of my head i'm thinkin, I already roofed all day, I'm starving, i need a shower, and i had to take a shit since noon. I just wanna go home
Plus It's a shitload of unpaid hours doing free estimates.

Now that i'm gettin older i realized i'm a dummy for trying to prove how tough i am, and a cush job is the way to go.

I was lookin online to see if i could be a lift attendant at Mt. Hood in oregon when i was thinkin of goin out there. Free season pass, probbly tons of ass options, and not hard work.
They were only hiring for a server though. :crank:

Long story short, I do like what i do. I just wish it paid like $250,000 a year.
Race car driver or Musician
Welder or Electronic repair tech
Phone/Security alarm tech
What are you doing now?
Security alarm & Camera tech
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped
you?
I'll tell ya this. The pay isn't the greatest, especially living in such a rural aria like I do unless I wanted to drive over an hr to go to work. I knew I at least wanted to do something that wasn't the same shit at the same place everyday. I enjoy what I do, and I'm getting by just fine. A really high paid job don't mean shit if you hate it and dread waking up in the morning.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
What did you want to be as a child? My Dad
What did you want to be in high school? Baseball Player
What did you want to be after high school? Wasn't sure
What are you doing now? Auto Mechanic
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you? Can't be my dad, didn't work hard enough to play ball at a next level.
Besides I really like my job, its nice to not take it home with me, and allows me to spend time doing other stuff
Gynecologist.. what stopped me you ask? dirty and diseased pussy.
So I am a warehouse supervisor in a union enviroment. Miserable.
Brampton Wrote:What did you want to be as a child? My Dad

Being your own dad is quite ambitious.. and I think impossible.
What did you want to be as a child? a ballerina, an Olympic gold medalist for gymnastics and a vet
What did you want to be in high school? A pharmacist or a teacher
What did you want to be after high school? I was promised a job at the school working with behavioral students after I graduated because I did a whole year for credit in high school and the vice principal liked me. After I graduated she wanted nothing to do with me. After that I started working in shops and I stopped thinking about it.
What are you doing now? Currently I am on Mat leave from my tower/warranty position at Maxim but I also help run our recycling & transport business from home.
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you?As a child: My parents... I was accepted into the Toronto school of ballet at the age of 5. My whole family would have had to relocate to Toronto and my dad didn't want to leave my grandma because my grandpa had just died. As for a gymnast... I popped my knee out of place and I refused to let it heal properly because I wanted to tumble. Doctor said if I didn't let it heal and I hurt it again I would have to have surgery, so I stopped and never looked back (I regret this). The vet: ...realized protruding body parents & blood make me queasy. The teacher: I went to school for a para educator to work with behavioral issued children... didn't get on in the school but I worked in a daycare for 7 months before I quit because taking care of peoples neglected children wasn't my idea of a good day. Constant headaches, bitching parents and diapers for 8 hours a day isn't great. The pharmacist: Although I still want to do it I make great money doing the recycle and I work less hours. It may be smelly and the glass can be dirty but at the end of the month it makes it all worth it!
DaveP Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:What did you want to be as a child? My Dad

Being your own dad is quite ambitious.. and I think impossible.
I think you know what i meant....... Confusedlap:
What did you want to be as a child? Baseball Player
What did you want to be in high school? Baseball Player
What did you want to be after high school? Army Airborne Infantry, which I did, but there is no future in that.
What are you doing now? Private Investigator/Claims Investigator/Field Rep
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you? Didn't practice hard enough

I like what I do now, but I would like it more if my salary was tripled, benefits were made better and my bosses got a clue.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
What did you want to be as a child? Race Car Driver
What did you want to be in high school? Race Car Driver (I left my regular high school to go to a technical school to train to be an automotive tech.)
What did you want to be after high school? I still wanted to get involved in motorsports and I used a scholorship from Ford to go to college in a Ford sponsored degree program.

What are you doing now? Systems Engineer & IT Consultant
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you? Getting involved in racing living in New Jersey is pretty tough. My parents didn't have much money and to be involved in most racing programs you have to start as a child.

I liked working in information systems until I got laid off. Every job after that has kind of sucked. I go to work every day telling myself that I'm better than this. I know something better will come along if I stay motivated.
It changed all the time, but it kept going back to a marine biologist. Really just because I liked going to the lake and catching frogs, snakes and turtles.

I had no idea.

Something in the engineering field, CAD related.

What are you doing now?
Steel detailer. I sit and a computer all day, most of the time, and draw steel members for everything from big buildings to automotive conveyors.

I always kinda wanted a typical office kind of job, and now I have one. I'm hoping this industry is finally starting to turn around, because I like it. But if I get laid off again, I'm going in a different direction. At least with the software I know, I can get a job in a different industry with a little bit of training.
What did you want to be as a child? Doctor
What did you want to be in high school? Doctor
What did you want to be after high school? Doctor
What are you doing now? Scientist at a hospital
So if you aren’t one of those working your dream job what stopped you? During college I finally realized that Doctors dont ever stop working, I wanted a life, so I pursued went the science route, even though its basically the same route as a doctor would take. I'm much happier not being on call, not working weekends, not working 80hrs a week. Much happier
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
A famous horse trainer
School Teacher
I hit a wall on the teaching bit.. Realized how much schooling it would require for such pitiful pay. It had me second-guessing what I wanted to do. (not to mention that MANY of my fellow comrades who continued toward that degree are not able to find any teaching jobs at all
What are you doing now?
The pickle plant - I grabbed a job that was available and am still here, partly by choice, but partly because I just haven't found anything better. The good thing is that this place has given me opportunities that no where else could have offered me, what, with Michigan's fucking recession.
It was a number of things that came up.. The plan fell apart, reality set in and personal issues through an extra wrench in it all. But, I have grown to accept it and realized that maybe my dream job wasn't what I wanted to begin with. Now, i am working toward better opportunities and, hopefully, i will find them.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rare Honor for a Living Service Member Joe 2 1,344 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Beckster