Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
external storage
I've been looking for an external hard drive for some time to store media files and act as a backup for my computer. The one I've been looking at is this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=826

I have a Mac, and would like something with firewire 800, unless there is something faster

Suggestions?
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:I've been looking for an external hard drive for some time to store media files and act as a backup for my computer. The one I've been looking at is this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=826

I have a Mac, and would like something with firewire 800, unless there is something faster

Suggestions?

No suggestions for MAC, but I've experienced a lot of WD Book failures at work. I bought one for myself back in January and it lasted a week. Best Buy replaced it and so far it's still running although I get errors that tell me it needs check disk run on it.
Joe Wrote:
Derick Wrote:I've been looking for an external hard drive for some time to store media files and act as a backup for my computer. The one I've been looking at is this http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=826

Suggestions?

No suggestions for MAC, but I've experienced a lot of WD Book failures at work. I bought one for myself back in January and it lasted a week. Best Buy replaced it and so far it's still running although I get errors that tell me it needs check disk run on it.
essentially I'm looking for a 1 tb with firewire 800, suggestions on brands? I think wd, iomega, and maybe seagate make mac specific products, but not even sure thats necessary
Derick Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

Suggestions?

essentially I'm looking for a 1 tb with firewire 800, suggestions on brands? I think wd, iomega, and maybe seagate make mac specific products, but not even sure thats necessary

Check Seagate, I think they make a FireWire drive although I don't know how big they are. I only own Macs and have been using WD externals for a while with no problems. I also have a WD 1T Ethernet external that is working really well too although the transfer speed is slow but works well for backups.
Dude..Fry's had Hitachi 2TB drives like that on sale for $87 yesterday but they are showing sold out now.....swoot.

Check Slickdeals out....they usually show up there once a week or so.
Iomega has sweet drives with ESATA that don't blow up, but I don't know if MAC supports that.
iomega drive

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/exte...rtner=4760
I have two WD a 1TB and a 500gig. I have never had an issue with either, they are small and I can take them with me anywhere. I love them. Like Lyle.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Hondo Wrote:Dude..Fry's had Hitachi 2TB drives like that on sale for $87 yesterday but they are showing sold out now.....swoot.

Check Slickdeals out....they usually show up there once a week or so.
I picked up a hitachi 2TB drive a few months ago from best buy for $129 I thought i got a good deal. thonks :j/k:
If I say something sucks then it sucks. :Flaming:
Joe Wrote:If I say something sucks then it sucks. :Flaming:

Based on your taste in music, I am not going to abide by that theory.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:If I say something sucks then it sucks. :Flaming:

Based on your taste in music, I am not going to abide by that theory.

Based on your taste in music I'm wondering if we'll need to use sign language at the DBN convention to talk to you.

That's music though. I don't work with music for a living.
Joe Wrote:... the DBN convention ...

When is this going to happen?
JDubb Wrote:
Joe Wrote:... the DBN convention ...

When is this going to happen?

I think around June 2011. I still want to get up there before that though.
Derick Wrote:I have a Mac,
Does Apple pull their usual shenanigans with blocking a lot things you wanna do?
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need extra storage? Check this deal. (6-08-10) Hondo 7 2,614 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice