Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duquesne Pilsner
This is a new beer, probably limited to Western PA at this point. Having gone to Duquesne University, my friends and I were thrilled that this beer was brought back this summer.

Duquesne was a beer that was extremely popular in the tri state area from 1899 to 1972, when it was sold to Schmidt due to declining sales due to national brands like Budweiser (evil assholes) pushing out the little guy. It was one of only 725 American Breweries that survived prohibition, Schmidt tried to brew it out of Cleveland into the 80's but the Allegheny County Commisioner asked locals to boycott out of town beer, especially from Cleveland, and it has been gone ever since.

[Image: CT-16001.jpg]
[Image: Duquesne2.JPG]

The brand was brought back this summer, with the first cases released to distributors in mid august. All local distributors sold out within an hour, and were provided less than half of their ordered stock to begin with. To this date, there are still only two places that seem to have it in stock, a wholesale distributor in Weirton, WV and Sheetz in Altoona by the six pack. Although, this week, more cases are supposed to roll out. They are brewing in the old Rolling Rock plant in Latrobe, PA and share brewery time with some Sam Adams products and Iron City Products as well as a few others. Word is, the plant ran out of water and production was halted, but that has not been confirmed.

I grabbed a case in Weirton a few weeks ago and am enjoying one now.

It is a tasty Pilsner with a gentle bite and no aftertaste. It is a good beer, and one that you could drink all night. I highly recommend trying it if you are in the area, once more is produced, and taking a case home with you as well. At $16.95, the required price by the brewer, you can't go wrong.

There will be some at the St. Pat's party.

[Image: beer-apple-waffles-3-525.jpg]
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]