Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Wave
So, I'm moving into a new condo in a couple weeks.
And I'm thinking of hooking it up with Z-Wave stuff, or something similar.
Anybody have any info? Shinfo?
It's the home-automation stuff. Where you can control everything from your blinds, to your locks, to your lights, to your thermostat, all from the internet, or even your phone.
There's a starter kit at Home Depot with a deadbolt, the control box thing, and a couple other things for about $250. Light switches seem to range from $30 to $50. Thermostats are about $70 and up.
You can start with just the basic stuff, then add on over time.
Z-Wave works with a wireless network but there are others that work with the electrical lines. And some others work over wireless too.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff?
It seems sweet, and somewhat reasonable in price now.
I am familiar with the concept, but have never heard of this particular set up. Actually sounds pretty sweet, I might have to look into it also.

I am eventually going to get biometric locks at home.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
this is on the DBN homepage......you should check it out from time to time
Brampton Wrote:this is on the DBN homepage......you should check it out from time to time

Yeah!
I saw a link to this post on the homepage...

I started by just looking for a thermostat that I can control over the internet, then found out that all this stuff looks really easy to set up.
I think I'm going to have to do it. There are a few systems, but Z-Wave looked like the best option.

This is the company that makes the app for your phone.
http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/
Chip Wrote:So, I'm moving into a new condo in a couple weeks.
It's the home-automation stuff. Where you can control everything from your blinds, to your locks, to your lights, to your thermostat, all from the internet, or even your phone.
There's a starter kit at Home Depot with a deadbolt, the control box thing, and a couple other things for about $250. Light switches seem to range from $30 to $50. Thermostats are about $70 and up.
Z-Wave works with a wireless network but there are others that work with the electrical lines. And some others work over wireless too.

I don't know about it, but it sounds friggin awesome!!!

One thing I would want to make sure of, would be if there are manual overrides for everything, just in case.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Chip Wrote:So, I'm moving into a new condo in a couple weeks.

I don't know about it, but it sounds friggin awesome!!!

One thing I would want to make sure of, would be if there are manual overrides for everything, just in case.

They all do. The deadbolt is a normal deadbolt that can be used with a key, or you can set up different pin numbers for people. And that uses batteries that last up to a year.
All the light switches are just like normal light switches only they have the extra stuff added to it.
http://gizmodo.com/5647352/home-automati...ot-be-dumb