Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Repair
DaveP Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:
Derick Wrote:jesus dude. Buy a new one
Yeah, cause I got $1500 laying around to replace a 3 year old TV after replacing a $1200 water heater 2 weeks ago.

fuck $1500. $700 bought me a 50" Samsung plasma
go big or go home
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
I have a 47 inch LG LCD, but it's too small. A 56 inch LCD is almost unheard of. I saw one online for 10K.
LCD or LED?

here is a 60" LCD for 2700

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0328327
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
I have a 32" LCD in my bedroom.. and LCD is much more expensive than plasma, but the plasma looks way better in my opinion.
DaveP Wrote:I have a 32" LCD in my bedroom.. and LCD is much more expensive than plasma, but the plasma looks way better in my opinion.

I like my plasma tv better than my LCD monitor.. One big different is that sunlight completely drowns out the LCD image.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:I have a 32" LCD in my bedroom.. and LCD is much more expensive than plasma, but the plasma looks way better in my opinion.

I like my plasma tv better than my LCD monitor.. One big different is that sunlight completely drowns out the LCD image.
I've heard that plasma TV's weren't good in rooms that get a lot of sunlight. Is this true?
I have plasma tvs, one i have is in my living room but I think it had some sort of anti-reflective coating on it because I hardly notice any light. the one I have in my bedroom is pretty bad for reflection when I have the light on, but if I turn the light off, it's fine.
Brian in NY Wrote:

I've heard that plasma TV's weren't good in rooms that get a lot of sunlight. Is this true?

At my old house I had a west window and the tv and monitor were facing it. When the sun set, the monitor was blank, but the tv was just fine.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
The ADVANTAGES of Plasma over LCD are:

1. Larger screen size availability.

2. Better contrast ratio and ability to render deeper blacks.

3. Better color accuracy and saturation.

4. Better motion tracking (little or no motion lag in fast moving images).

The DISADVANTAGES of Plasma vs LCD include:

1. Plasma TVs are more susceptible to burn-in of static images. However, this problem has diminished greatly in recent years as a result of the incorporation "pixel orbiting" and related technologies.

2. Plasma TVs generate more heat than LCDs, due to the need to light of phosphors to create the images.

3. Does not perform as well at higher altitudes.

4. Potentially shorter display life span - this used to be the case. Early Plasmas had 30,000 hours or 8 hrs of viewing a day for 9 years, which was less than LCD. However, screen life span has now improved and 60,000 hour life span rating are now common, with some sets rated as high as 100,000 hours, due to technology improvements.

LCD television ADVANTAGES over Plasma include:

1. No burn-in of static images.

2. Cooler running temperature.

3. No high altitude use issues.

4. Increased image brightness over Plasma, which makes LCD TVs better for viewing in brightly lit rooms.

5. Lighter weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than Plasma counterparts.

6. Longer display life used to be a factor, but now LCD and Plasma sets both have at least 60,000 hour or higher lifespans.

DISADVANTAGES of LCD vs Plasma televisions include:

1. Lower contrast ratio, not as good rendering deep blacks, although the increasing incorporation of LED backlighting has narrowed this gap.

2. Not as good at tracking motion (fast moving objects may exhibit lag artifacts) - However, this is improving with the recent implementation of 120Hz screen refresh rates and 240Hz processing in higher-end LCD sets.

3. Not as common in large screen sizes above 42-inches as Plasma. However, the number is growing fast, with 46 and 47-inch screen sizes becoming more common, and some LCD sets having a screen size as large as 65-inches also available to the general public.

4. Although LCD televisions do not suffer from burn-in susceptibility, it is possible that individual pixels on an LCD televisions can burn out, causing small, visible, black or white dots to appear on the screen. Individual pixels cannot be repaired, the whole screen would need to be replaced at that point, if the individual pixel burnout becomes annoying to you.

5. LCD televisions are typically more expensive than equivalent-sized Plasma televisions (although this is changing).
Brian in NY Wrote:

I have blinds on my windows.. doesn't ever affect me
Samsung called me today in reference to the complaint I filled wiht the Attorney General in New Jersey. They agreed to cover all parts.
Joe In PA Wrote:Samsung called me today in reference to the complaint I filled wiht the Attorney General in New Jersey. They agreed to cover all parts.
:high5: Can you do the labour to fix it?
michaelangelo Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:Samsung called me today in reference to the complaint I filled wiht the Attorney General in New Jersey. They agreed to cover all parts.
:high5: Can you do the labour to fix it?

Nope, they have to have a certified repair shop do it.
So I called the repair shop and they want $150 to come out. Once they are there I have to pay for labor, but the $150 goes towards the labor. I asked how long it would take and they couldn't tell me. I asked what their labor rate is and they said they don't have a rate. I asked if it was going to cost over $300 and they couldn't tell me.

I called Samsung and told them I'm not playing the repairmen guessing game and I'd much rather go to arbitration over it and they agreed to pay labor as well if I agreed to take the TV to the rair shop.

The only down side is the shop is in Baltimore and open from 8-4 M-F. (Hour and a half away)
Joe In PA Wrote:So I called the repair shop and they want $150 to come out. Once they are there I have to pay for labor, but the $150 goes towards the labor. I asked how long it would take and they couldn't tell me. I asked what their labor rate is and they said they don't have a rate. I asked if it was going to cost over $300 and they couldn't tell me.

I called Samsung and told them I'm not playing the repairmen guessing game and I'd much rather go to arbitration over it and they agreed to pay labor as well if I agreed to take the TV to the rair shop.

The only down side is the shop is in Baltimore and open from 8-4 M-F. (Hour and a half away)
so, you'd have to take a day off work to go there? Confusedwoot: what are you going to do?