Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between a wine geek and wine snob?
i bleed green Wrote:I bought three bottles of really good ice wine in Germany for 60 euros.

Really good = ice wine.

Ice wines are fantastic when produced in traditional methods like they do in Germany. Many ice wines in the US and Canada are made by commercially freezing the grapes rather than letting them freeze on the vine.
JDubb Wrote:
i bleed green Wrote:I bought three bottles of really good ice wine in Germany for 60 euros.

Really good = ice wine.

Ice wines are fantastic when produced in traditional methods like they do in Germany. Many ice wines in the US and Canada are made by commercially freezing the grapes rather than letting them freeze on the vine.

I have never had a German Ice Wine, but the US and Canadian ones are WAAAAAAY to sweet for me. It's like drinking syrup.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:

Really good = ice wine.

I have never had a German Ice Wine, but the US and Canadian ones are WAAAAAAY to sweet for me. It's like drinking syrup.
I had a small sample and it was really good.I bought two bottles in a wooden box for my sister for 25 each and bought a bottles off one of the people on our tour for ten.I'll snap a picture of the bottle later.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
Pete Nice Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:

Really good = ice wine.

You either drink them as your dessert or or along with your dessert. They are not something you pop and drink hanging on the deck on a nice summer afternoon.
JDubb Wrote:

Really good = ice wine.

That stuff that I bought;there are years where they don't make any because it doesn't get cold enough.The reason I got it so cheap is because we did a wine tasting at the cellar and all the wines was available right from the source so to speak.I don't even know how much they sell in stores as opposed to what they sell to tourists.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
Joe In PA Wrote:Going to a vineyard and listening to the wine maker talk about the process and explain the differences in the grapes and wines makes you appreciate it better.

Dude you got sold by some salesman. :poke:
Pete Nice Wrote:
negadave Wrote:Guess i've got no class, because for me, wine = :barf:
I can tolerate some white wine, but reds taste gross to me. Real bitter.

This is not a blast at you, but that is a typical answer for people who don't know wine.

The thing that doesn't make sence to me is, It's like music. What's there to know??! If i like it i like it. It's somebody's opinion. There's no right or wrong answer. Your a follower!
I think for MYSELF! that's why i like Bud light. Not because somebody told me it's good ;-)

Didn't you say you like this guy pete? Hope you guys can take a joke.......
[youtube]lsOf6aegq1I[/youtube]
negadave Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
negadave Wrote:Guess i've got no class, because for me, wine = :barf:
I can tolerate some white wine, but reds taste gross to me. Real bitter.

This is not a blast at you, but that is a typical answer for people who don't know wine.

The thing that doesn't make sence to me is, It's like music. What's there to know??! If i like it i like it. It's somebody's opinion. There's no right or wrong answer. Your a follower!
I think for MYSELF! that's why i like Bud light. Not because somebody told me it's good ;-)

Didn't you say you like this guy pete? Hope you guys can take a joke.......
I like your argument. It makes perfect sense.
Bud Light.

[Image: Urine_Sample_00010_IR1.jpg]

And that is my personal opinion formed off my personal experiences.

I am really just saying that you probably don't like other wine b/c you have not been properly exposed to it. White wine is fine, I love white wine, but it's harder to fuck up white wine than red wine. I have been to a bunch of tastings the last few years, and some of the most expensive or rare wines, I am not a huge fan of, but some of the lower priced ones I thought were delicious. It's not what people tell you when it comes to wine, it's what you like, but if your not exposed to the right opportunities, you never really get a good chance to make an opinion. Yellowtail, Barefoot and Layer Cake are mass produced wines full of chemicals, so it tastes like bloody urine and probably would lead you off the path of red wine loving.

Yellowtail sucks.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:Bud Light.

[Image: Urine_Sample_00010_IR1.jpg]

And that is my personal opinion formed off my personal experiences.

I am really just saying that you probably don't like other wine b/c you have not been properly exposed to it. White wine is fine, I love white wine, but it's harder to fuck up white wine than red wine. I have been to a bunch of tastings the last few years, and some of the most expensive or rare wines, I am not a huge fan of, but some of the lower priced ones I thought were delicious. It's not what people tell you when it comes to wine, it's what you like, but if your not exposed to the right opportunities, you never really get a good chance to make an opinion. Yellowtail, Barefoot and Layer Cake are mass produced wines full of chemicals, so it tastes like bloody urine and probably would lead you off the path of red wine loving.

Yellowtail sucks.

:clap: well said. I'm gonna zip it up now... I'm sure black flag and minor threat feel you on this one.....
Pete Nice Wrote:I am really just saying that you probably don't like other wine b/c you have not been properly exposed to it. White wine is fine, I love white wine, but it's harder to fuck up white wine than red wine. I have been to a bunch of tastings the last few years, and some of the most expensive or rare wines, I am not a huge fan of, but some of the lower priced ones I thought were delicious. It's not what people tell you when it comes to wine, it's what you like, but if your not exposed to the right opportunities, you never really get a good chance to make an opinion. Yellowtail, Barefoot and Layer Cake are mass produced wines full of chemicals, so it tastes like bloody urine and probably would lead you off the path of red wine loving.

Yellowtail sucks.

You're right on the money @Pete. I think wine is very cool and enjoy something in nearly every bottle I drink. It is all about trying it and finding that you like than finding a good wine shop with a knowledgeable staff that can point you towards wines that fit your palette. I can only tell you what I have had and enjoyed but you may totally disagree depending on the food you are drinking the wine with or if you are drinking it as a cocktail.

Keep trying it, there are many grapes grown in many different regions of the world all giving the wine it's own characteristics... like them or not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My wine experiences Pokes28 14 6,548 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Beckster
  Favorite Type of wine Pete Nice 18 8,833 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Last Post: i bleed green
  UnCork York Wine Trail Joe 0 1,463 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Wine & Web JDubb 4 2,864 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Last Post: JDubb
  Starbucks mulling wine, cheese move Joe 5 3,091 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Chip