Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
Again, how many professors are currently being treated for PTSD? What is the suicide rate of professors versus law enforcement? Or how about the substance abuse rate? The disproportionate numbers speak for themselves. The grossly higher incidence of the above is prima facie evidence that that kind of work is FAR more stressful and damaging, both emotionally and physically.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not belittling the difficulty of doing PH.D work. And I do know something about it....my brother is currently finishing his Ph.D at Iowa right now. It is unquestionably difficult and a pain in the ass. I wouldn't have the tolerance for it at my age. The first time some uppity intellectual tried to get snotty with me I'd probably break his face. That said though you're going to spend 7 or 8 semesters on a dissertation. All in the comfort of climate-controlled safety. If you are among the 30% that fail out you're still alive and can go do something else with your life. If you fail on the street you're just dead. That's hard to rebound from.

Messages In This Thread