Dudebro Nation
05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - Printable Version

+- Dudebro Nation (https://dudebronation.com/forum)
+-- Forum: DudeBro Nation (https://dudebronation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Daily Threads (https://dudebronation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... (/showthread.php?tid=803)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - Derick - 05-26-2010

ZeeDuchess Wrote:and i dont beleive in carbon dating either.
really? this is pretty simple

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - JDubb - 05-26-2010

What, really?!?!?!

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - Iva13 - 05-26-2010

Derick and JDubb you two are soooo smart!!! you make me happy when you explain stuff :boobs:

Derick Wrote:

Derick, drop some knowledge on us...

Wikipedia--

Radiocarbon dating, or carbon dating, is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to determine the age of carbonaceous materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years. Raw, i.e. uncalibrated, radiocarbon ages are usually reported in radiocarbon years "Before Present" (BP), "Present" being defined as AD 1950. Such raw ages can be calibrated to give calendar dates.

One of the most frequent uses of radiocarbon dating is to estimate the age of organic remains from archaeological sites. When plants fix atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) into organic material during photosynthesis they incorporate a quantity of 14C that approximately matches the level of this isotope in the atmosphere (a small difference occurs because of isotope fractionation, but this is corrected after laboratory analysis). After plants die or they are consumed by other organisms (for example, by humans or other animals) the 14C fraction of this organic material declines at a fixed exponential rate due to the radioactive decay of 14C. Comparing the remaining 14C fraction of a sample to that expected from atmospheric 14C allows the age of the sample to be estimated.

The technique of radiocarbon dating was developed by Willard Libby and his colleagues at the University of Chicago in 1949. Emilio Segrè asserted in his autobiography that Enrico Fermi suggested the concept to Libby in a seminar at Chicago that year. Libby estimated that the steady state radioactivity concentration of exchangeable carbon-14 would be about 14 disintegrations per minute (dpm) per gram. In 1960, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry for this work. He first demonstrated the accuracy of radiocarbon dating by accurately estimating the age of wood from an ancient Egyptian royal barge for which the age was known from historical documents.

JDubb Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

Nevermind. I took care of it.

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - ZeeDuchess - 05-26-2010

JDubb Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

ok, now go thru & look at the faults of carbon dating.

JDubb Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

oh...ok

i'll keep this simple, C12 is the naturally occuring Carbon, it also has a couple of radioactive isotope one being C14. Radioactive isotopes have half lifes. This is the amount of time it takes for the half the sample to degrade. C14 half life is 5730 years, so you can measure the amount of c14 left and calculate an age (calcualtion is fairly complex)

really simple explanation. take 1 divide it by 2 repete, you will never get to 0, count the number of times you can divide it, this number would calculate an age

JDubb Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:
Derick Wrote:

i chose not to cheat and make it simple

ZeeDuchess Wrote:ok, now go thru & look at the faults of carbon dating.
its a best guess, its never going to be 100% accurate

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - michaelangelo - 05-26-2010

what's up? got my property tax bill yesterday $3230.00 CAD. good thing i've been saving for this.

guy washing my window

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - Beckster - 05-26-2010

JDubb Wrote:Hey DBN! Beautiful day in Minnesota today.

Wassup to you, too!

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - Beckster - 05-26-2010

Derick Wrote:quicksand exists yo

I have seen it and stepped into it.

Re: 05-26-10 --> I really don't want to be at work.... - NussieT - 05-26-2010

michaelangelo Wrote:what's up? got my property tax bill yesterday $3230.00 CAD. good thing i've been saving for this.

Our property tax bill comes at the beginning of August. We also pay our property tax with our mortgage payment.