Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Flirting/Dating in the 21st Century
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I met this girl who has a lot of potential, we go over contact stuff I got her number. All is well. We get to talking and it turns out she doesn't have Facebook, Myspace, or any instant messenger programs.
I actually like to call girls, and hate all that texting/im/facebook chat shit so I find this a refreshing change. But it got me thinking how much dating and flirting has changed in the last 10-14 years.
What Changes have you noticed, either caused by changes in technology, or society overall? Are they good or bad?
I think women expect more. Applegees and a movie is not enough now, it needs to be Chez Applegees and a VIP movie seats.
I like that I have a way to research a potential guy compared to my teen years. I can run his name through OTIS and other Criminal record sites. I can see how he interacts on FB or Myspace with his friends (plus how flirty he might be with other females). Of course this is assuming he is using his real name and all that.... But, back in the day, it was a real crap shoot with a potential guy, so at least now, there's something to go on.

I do notice that people are more quick to text each other right off than wait to talk face to face, which is weird. Especially when they have nothing left to say.
Pete Nice Wrote:I think women expect more. Applegees and a movie is not enough now, it needs to be Chez Applegees and a VIP movie seats.

I don't think that's true. I think you are more apt to find females willing to split the bill.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:I think women expect more. Applegees and a movie is not enough now, it needs to be Chez Applegees and a VIP movie seats.

I don't think that's true. I think you are more apt to find females willing to split the bill.

You mean like Spot's ex? She is the perfect example. Nothing poor Spot could do was good enough for her.

Girl expect more these days. That's a fact.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I can see how he interacts on FB or Myspace with his friends.

Shit I didn't even think of that. If she had a facebook I would definetly have done some minor level FB stalking. Its just the natural thing to do, based on years of doing it.
Pete Nice Wrote:

You mean like Spot's ex? She is the perfect example. Nothing poor Spot could do was good enough for her.

Bullshit! Maybe SOME females, but definitely not all of us. I know plenty of females who are quite realistic with sharing the tab and not expecting the world from guys.
Frankly, Facebook etiquette is a pain in the ass. I've never been one for real lifePDA (some is OK but I've always felt weird kissing in public for longer than a couple of seconds), and feeling obligated to respond to cheesy love messages on facebook is just the same if not worse. I feel like that stuff should be kept private and is just another way for chicks to mark their territory, so to speak.

And as far as using facebook to check up on the past of a new interest - there's a lot you can dig up and could be a double edged sword. If a girl is smart, she'd take down or at least untag any scandalous photos or anything that would make her look bad. Nothing wrong with having fun but covering your tracks - to me that communicates a certain savvy and intelligence. If a girl leaves all of that shit up and doesn't think twice about it, she might not be worth your time in the first place.

And not only that, just looking at their messages and typing/grammar is a good indicator as well. Call me a nerd, but I don't think I could date someone that can't form complete sentences and spell most words correctly. I've seen some adults type messages to each other online, and its no wonder our kids are falling so far behind the rest of the world. But if both people are dumbasses, I guess it wouldn't matter to them.
I really have nothing to add. Been married for 13+ years. I'm so thankful that I don't have to try and play today's game. I never had flirting/dating skills and it took the right woman to track me down like a scared little bunny before I had anything serious relationship wise.

I think dating today would suck in a bad way.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I like that I have a way to research a potential guy compared to my teen years. I can run his name through OTIS and other Criminal record sites. I can see how he interacts on FB or Myspace with his friends (plus how flirty he might be with other females). Of course this is assuming he is using his real name and all that.... But, back in the day, it was a real crap shoot with a potential guy, so at least now, there's something to go on.

I do notice that people are more quick to text each other right off than wait to talk face to face, which is weird. Especially when they have nothing left to say.

Only if we all that that luxuary.. :praying:
2 things - these are serious and not sarcastic...
1- can you see how much he makes? and does that affect your possbile dating decision??
2 - Would you like a guy to do the same, if he were to date you??

and texting has gone way to far!!! not only has it killed the face to face conversations in relationships.. it has also killed business relationships aswell (no more come in and talk..) its order this would you !
Pete Nice Wrote:

Bullshit! Maybe SOME females, but definitely not all of us. I know plenty of females who are quite realistic with sharing the tab and not expecting the world from guys.

I have to agree with both you of.. in general more often than not the female expects the man to give her the red carpet treatment on a date..

but not all of them.. i must have lucked out when i found my wife.. she offered to take care of the dinner bill to my surprise, I argueed; and we ended up spilting the bill..after which we went to a comedy club for some entainment.. she ended up paying the bill before I even had a chance..

I felt like this guy
[Image: alan-harper.jpg]
Women definite LEE expect more these days. There is no doubt about that.
Pete Nice Wrote:Women definite LEE expect more these days. There is no doubt about that.

I think they expect the same amount, they just won't settle anymore. Women are more vocal, and if they are not getting what they want they will speak up, and if that doesn't work they are gone.
Jersey_Mike Wrote:I met this girl who has a lot of potential, we go over contact stuff I got her number. All is well. We get to talking and it turns out she doesn't have Facebook, Myspace, or any instant messenger programs.
I actually like to call girls, and hate all that texting/im/facebook chat shit so I find this a refreshing change. But it got me thinking how much dating and flirting has changed in the last 10-14 years.
What Changes have you noticed, either caused by changes in technology, or society overall? Are they good or bad?

That would be a huge plus in my book too. My real friends numbers are in my phone. I can call them and go have a beer, get a ride if my car breaks down shit like that. I don't need some chick i wasn't even friends with in 8th grade seeing what im up too.
I wouldn't just outright buy that story though. She might have one that she doesn't want you to see, set so you can't search it or under another name. Not trying to rain on your ass parade, i'm just saying, it's a possability (sp)? I always a sceptic.

I think it's not really a good thing texting and facebook and twitter self checkouts at the store........
In like 10 years people won't know how to interact with eachother face to face.
Jersey_Mike Wrote:I met this girl who has a lot of potential, we go over contact stuff I got her number. All is well. We get to talking and it turns out she doesn't have Facebook, Myspace, or any instant messenger programs.
This girl must be amish.
Pages: 1 2