Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Hondo does Easy Rider 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Trip window is from 22 July 'til August 20 so I'll be headed out in the next few days. I figure it'll take right at 3 weeks of riding averaging 350 miles a day... 6200 miles from Nashville out and back. If any of you have any suggestions, want to share a brew or six on the route, or even better can offer a place to crash on the route let me know. Going to be a long, solo trip. I may take a swing through Phoenix, SD and LA too but it's weather and time dependant. Ignore the yellow waypoints and moons on the map...damn MS ST2010 forces that on you when you customize a route. I am trying to keep the Interstates to an absolute minimum here.

It's the best scenery America has to offer. And no better way to see it that on a motorcycle.
This is really cool. I would love to do this one day. You will be about 60-70 miles south of me, when you are in the Oklahoma panhandle too.
I wish I had a month off....
How the hell did you manage to get THAT much time off????
You'll probably miss me by about a couple weeks out in Vegas.
That sounds sweet. That's like one of those things everybody talks about but never actually do it, and wish they did.
I hope you have a windshield on your bike. My buddy did a long distance ride on a sportster. He said it was pretty rough getting hit in the face with bugs and rain. The other guys had those big bikes with the suitcases on them and raidos.

What are you gonna be riding?

Being an ex-police officer can you bring your pistol state to state?

Do you normally put alot of miles on your bike or drive alot?
After about 6 hours i start getting all mesmorised by the lines on the highway. Gotta be worse on a bike saftey wise. Though the wind would probbly keep you pretty alert.

Sorry.I always think shit like that. That's how negadave came about. My buddys would get stupid ideas and i'd point out the shit that could come up. One day dude was like stop being so negadive dave (lightbulb) NEGADAVE! yea yea real funny dicks.
Whenever they're trying to talk me in to dumb shit they'll use that one on me. Not that your thing is dumb, but they'd try to get me to quit my job and go with like $300.
It's a Harley Road Glide....a big touring bike with a fixed fairing and windshield. I'm taking the shorty windshield off and putting the tall one on for the trip. I rode from Miami to Key West once on a Harley Road King with no windshield once...and that blew goats.

Strangely enough riding long distances on a bike like mine isn't a strain like you might think. My RG has cruise control which really helps too. Your senses are far more alert on a bike than in the isolation of a car. I'm going to try and average at least 400 miles a day...and on 2 lane roads that means 10-12 hours a day.

Gun? Absolutely. I have 50 state CCW rights ...and I'd do it anyway even if I didn't. My G27 will be on me at all times along with a tactical knife as well.
You're all set in case of any random zombie attacks!
Hondo Wrote:It's a Harley Road Glide....a big touring bike with a fixed fairing and windshield. I'm taking the shorty windshield off and putting the tall one on for the trip. I rode from Miami to Key West once on a Harley Road King with no windshield once...and that blew goats.

Strangely enough riding long distances on a bike like mine isn't a strain like you might think. My RG has cruise control which really helps too. Your senses are far more alert on a bike than in the isolation of a car. I'm going to try and average at least 400 miles a day...and on 2 lane roads that means 10-12 hours a day.

Gun? Absolutely. I have 50 state CCW rights ...and I'd do it anyway even if I didn't. My G27 will be on me at all times along with a tactical knife as well.

Nice. Good luck on the trip Hondo. I gotta admitt, I'm a little jealous. You should throw up some pics here when you get back.
Yeah I'll set up a Flickr page or something similar. This is a bucket list item for me....something that if I don't do right now it might be 20 years before I have the chance to do again...if ever. My girlfriend is majorly not happy with me about doing this.

Which is too damn bad.
Hondo Wrote:Yeah I'll set up a Flickr page or something similar. This is a bucket list item for me....something that if I don't do right now it might be 20 years before I have the chance to do again...if ever. My girlfriend is majorly not happy with me about doing this.

Which is too damn bad.

I think it's a trip of lifetime and would be an amazing experience. Hope you have a great time!
Hondo Wrote:Yeah I'll set up a Flickr page or something similar. This is a bucket list item for me....something that if I don't do right now it might be 20 years before I have the chance to do again...if ever. My girlfriend is majorly not happy with me about doing this.

Which is too damn bad.
:roflmao: She'll get over it
negadave Wrote::roflmao: She'll get over it

Or not. Either way I'm good. And going.
In Iowa City and westbound tomorrow morning. I am getting a new rear tire installed in Sioux City tomorrow and I'll see how far I can push into South Dakota. I'm hoping I can get close to the turn off to take the route into the Badlands NP so i can do that, Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower on Tuesday. That leaves almost all of Wyoming and Yellowstone for Wednesday.

Paralleled the Mississippi up from St. Louis today. River is right at flood stage so it was impressive...almost like a big lake. The breeze coming off of it was welcome too.
Hondo Wrote:In Iowa City and westbound tomorrow morning. I am getting a new rear tire installed in Sioux City tomorrow and I'll see how far I can push into South Dakota. I'm hoping I can get close to the turn off to take the route into the Badlands NP so i can do that, Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower on Tuesday. That leaves almost all of Wyoming and Yellowstone for Wednesday.

Paralleled the Mississippi up from St. Louis today. River is right at flood stage so it was impressive...almost like a big lake. The breeze coming off of it was welcome too.

I went to the Badlands when I was young. Really beautiful area. Yellowstone was impressive, too. I only wish we had spent more time out there.
Pages: 1 2 3