Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Zombie discussion out the wazoo...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=158">http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=158</a><!-- m -->
I've been thinking that we should find a DBN fortress that everyone could head to, when the zombie's start in.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I've been thinking that we should find a DBN fortress that everyone could head to, when the zombie's start in.

The Winchester Pub?
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I've been thinking that we should find a DBN fortress that everyone could head to, when the zombie's start in.

I'm going to Pete's when it all goes down.
We were watching Semi-pro last night and after that Resident Evil came on. I fucking LOVE Mila Jovovich! She is so fucking hot! But of course the rest of the night I was planning anti-zombie strategies in my head.

I think the ideal situation would include a very slow start to the outbreak AND speedy recognition that it is a zombie outbreak and not something else. The first time I see that shit on the news I am packing up and heading for the hills, that way when the shiit REALLY hits the fan, I am already far away.

I also came to the conclusion that a group of 20 people is the perfect number to create a camp with in the mountains. Everyone will bring something different to the pack and provides plenty of people for rotating 24 hour security. I also decided that 4 people should be on guard duty/watch at all times, at least 4 people.
But, what hills, Pete?
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:But, what hills, Pete?

The Allegheny Mountains.
20 works ONLY if the outbreak is over in less than 4 weeks. Anything beyond that and you are going to run into a huge problem with food. Even on a bare minimum diet of 1500 calories a day feeding 20 people is going to require a major stockpile of foodstuffs. The only way around that is to go out and hunt or fish...and that could be exceeding dangerous for obvious reasons. A larger group also is more likely to have personality issues. It's not a military unit where there is natural cohesion, chain of command and discipline. Every span of control study I've ever seen puts the limit of effective supervision at 8 or less. The last thing you need in a zombie outbreak is a disfunctional group with bad personality dynamics.

I think the optimum number is around 5. You can go a lot longer with a smaller group.
Hondo Wrote:20 works ONLY if the outbreak is over in less than 4 weeks. Anything beyond that and you are going to run into a huge problem with food. Even on a bare minimum diet of 1500 calories a day feeding 20 people is going to require a major stockpile of foodstuffs. The only way around that is to go out and hunt or fish...and that could be exceeding dangerous for obvious reasons. A larger group also is more likely to have personality issues. It's not a military unit where there is natural cohesion, chain of command and discipline. Every span of control study I've ever seen puts the limit of effective supervision at 8 or less. The last thing you need in a zombie outbreak is a disfunctional group with bad personality dynamics.

I think the optimum number is around 5. You can go a lot longer with a smaller group.

I think 20 would be good long term if you are able to utilize natural resources for food, water, etc. Remember, you are isolated in the woods, and early on too. So the zombies would not be hoarding you, you would have some room to move, and time to build up layers of fortification around your mountain base. Even if it is as simple as layers of wooden fencing with outward spikes, and/or a moat of some sort. Wood barriers out the wazoo. Which makes me thing that nails, rope and wire would be very important items in a long term survival situation where you have to build fortifications similar to the wall around the city at the end if I Am Legend (WHICH IS NOT A ZOMBIE MOVIE!). Anyway, if you get isolated enough, it could be weeks before a single stray zombie even stumbles upon you, and if you take it out and dispose of it, weeks before another does. All that time is spent solidifying your barricades, building that impenetrable wall around your fortification and planting crops.

5 is too small b/c it kills my watch theory. only one person would be able to sleep at a time. 8 could work, but still, your pulling 12 hour watch shifts and the other 12 hours you have to sleep, eat and do the other things that need done. Watch is not to be disturbed. I am sold on the 4 person watch at all times. Covers all four directions, east, west, north, south.
Pete Nice Wrote:

The Allegheny Mountains.

I am googling that place..........
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

The Allegheny Mountains.

I just picked up an sks with 1800 rounds for $400 bucks. I've yet to shoot it, thought it was a good deal though. Count me in. Somebody's gonna have to bring food and water though....
negadave Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

The Allegheny Mountains.

I just picked up an sks with 1800 rounds for $400 bucks. I've yet to shoot it, thought it was a good deal though. Count me in. Somebody's gonna have to bring food and water though....

That is a good deal. What country was it manufactured in?
negadave Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

The Allegheny Mountains.

I'm in the Great Lake State... I got the water. When shit goes down, I steal a water tanker.
Fuck that noise.I`m not living in some Mad Max or Book of Eli post-apocolyptic type of world. I`m going out of in a blaze of glory in the midst of a killing spree.
I am thinking of doing a little remodeling. I think the bathroom stuff will come from here:

http://www.horrorschool.com/articles/hor...er-curtain

[Image: horror_shower_curtain.jpg]
Pages: 1 2