Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Waffen SS VS Viet Cong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think we need a new forum entitled either "Guns" "Guns and knives" or "kiilin stuff" or "stuff to kill with"

Anyway,

I just got done watching Deadliest Warrior on the DVR. They put the Waffen SS up against the Viet Cong. They compared submachine guns, landmines, handguns and special weapons (flamethrower for Nazi's and pungi traps for VC). They determined the Waffen SS to be the winners.

I disagree, and here is why:

Take JUST the foot soldiers.

I believe they compared a sample that was far to small to create an accurate result. (Derick can relate being a scientist).

1. The most common weapon used in both conflicts was the assault rifle. For some reason, Deadliest Warrior decided not to compare these. For the VC, the most common assault rifle was the AK-47. The AK-47 is a 7.63 automatic assault rifle that is still in use today. It is strong, durable and deadly. The Waffen SS used the Gewer 43 as their primary assault weapon. It was a 7.92 SEMI-automatic rifle. It also was not as durable as the AK-47. in 1944 the STG-44 was introduced, but it's role in the conflict was minimal due to it's late release. Some might say the KAR 98 was the primary SS assault rifle. That is a bolt action. Either way, nothing the German's had mass issued in the assault rifle department could touch the AK-47.

Advantage: VC

2. Shoulder fired rockets. The VC used the RPG extensively in the Vietnam war. It is a shoulderr launched anti tank weapon that was reloaded fast and easy by one man. The weapon was also operated by one man and the weapon AND ammunition could be carried by one man. The SS used the Panzerfaust 60. It was basically a bazooka. It was big and clumsy and required a two man crew, although it could be operated by one person, but slowly.

3. Machine Guns. The VC utilized the RPD or Ruchnoy Pulemyot Degtyareval. A 7.62 weapon weighing 14.55 pounds and fed by a belt or drum container and could fire up to 650 rounds per minute. The SS used the MG-42. A 7.92 weapon weighing 25.51 pounds, belt fed and could fire up to 1200 rounds per minute. While the MG-42 could fire at a faster rate, that also means changing the barrel more often and decreased accuracy. Also, lack of drum ammunition decreases mobility, not to mention that it is 10 pounds heavier.

4. Sniper rifles. Both sides used various weapons and with varied results, but when it came down to it, the Nazi snipers were some of the best the world has ever seen. And the ones in the Waffen SS were the best of the best.

Advantage: SS

So there we go. I left out anything outside the basic infantryman. No vehicles, mortars, artillery, etc. Just your basic infantry squad. Also, heart and soul play no part, but the VC would have won that also.

Hands down, the VC would win this battle if they had included the assault rifle, machine gun and shoulder fired rocket, as they should have.
The only, and I mean the only advantage I can see the VC ever having was one of terrain and familiarity with it. The VC lost almost every fixed enagagement they ever fought and were completely destroyed as an effective fighting force after Tet '68.

Anyone can be effective regardless of weaponry in a hit and run guerilla conflict. Look at the damage the mujahadeen did to the Red Army fighting with nothing more than Enfield rifles and a few Stingers. To me they were not impressive at all as a military fighting force. The comparison (at least to me) is nonsense. The VC never had the training, discipline or esprit de corps that the Waffen SS had. (Of course I'm only speaking about the true Waffen SS Divisions, not the hobbled together ones or the conscripted ones.

You look at the brilliance of leaders such as Guderian, Manstein and Hausser and find me anyone in the VC that had even remotely similar records. It's not about the weapons...it's entirely about the men and their abilities.
Hondo Wrote:The only, and I mean the only advantage I can see the VC ever having was one of terrain and familiarity with it. The VC lost almost every fixed enagagement they ever fought and were completely destroyed as an effective fighting force after Tet '68.

Anyone can be effective regardless of weaponry in a hit and run guerilla conflict. Look at the damage the mujahadeen did to the Red Army fighting with nothing more than Enfield rifles and a few Stingers. To me they were not impressive at all as a military fighting force. The comparison (at least to me) is nonsense. The VC never had the training, discipline or esprit de corps that the Waffen SS had. (Of course I'm only speaking about the true Waffen SS Divisions, not the hobbled together ones or the conscripted ones.

You look at the brilliance of leaders such as Guderian, Manstein and Hausser and find me anyone in the VC that had even remotely similar records. It's not about the weapons...it's entirely about the men and their abilities.

While I agree with you, the show takes all of this out of the equation and basically breaks it down on weapons only. I think they go as far as to say each side has a 5 man squad going up against each other. If that is the case, the weaponry of the VC is far superior. But the show decided not to utilize the true weaponry of both groups, for the Waffen SS, they didn't even use the MG40, the submachine gun that actually got the most use and was more modern, they used the MG 28 instead.

The Waffen SS was by far the far superior force in training and discipline. But the show seems to overlook that and only go with the weaponry. Put the SS in the VC theater of combat, using the above infantrymen and weapons, and the VC take the show.
I guess the show should really be called "who has the better weapons" since they do not take all the other human factors of war into effect.
Pete Nice Wrote:I guess the show should really be called "who has the better weapons" since they do not take all the other human factors of war into effect.

Which is rather silly when you think about it. Obviously the more recent groups will have superior weapons technology. A group of Crips on the corner with zip guns would wipe the streets with a Roman Legion. I guess if you're going to make the comparison the show should give both groups comparable arms.

Can you imagine the VC against the Waffen SS on the steppes of Russia? Talk about a rout...
Outside of Jungles, I don't think the VC would stand a chance against most organized forces. Thats their element, and there is no arguing that that is where they would be superior.

But i'll say, that flamethrower will scare the crap out of anyone hiding in a hole or tunnel.....Go SS.....and not in a "you know" way
Exactly. Take 5 hillbillies in Eastern Kentucky or Southern West Virginia and give them their deer rifles and they'd be better than any VC on his best day. I haven't seen this show but whoever is picking the teams needs a better education.
Hondo Wrote:Exactly. Take 5 hillbillies in Eastern Kentucky or Southern West Virginia and give them their deer rifles and they'd be better than any VC on his best day. I haven't seen this show but whoever is picking the teams needs a better education.

Supposedly, they pick "experts" to represent each side who demonstrate each sides weaponry. That part is rather cool... They use pig bodies to slice through and that.
Hondo Wrote:Exactly. Take 5 hillbillies in Eastern Kentucky or Southern West Virginia and give them their deer rifles and they'd be better than any VC on his best day. I haven't seen this show but whoever is picking the teams needs a better education.
I think that show is kind of a joke. I think it's more geared towards a younger audience. Like "who would win, spiderman or batman?" I don't think it's verry acurate.
Btw +1 on the gun topic. I just picked up a 10/22 last week. Had to get something i can shoot without going broke. I read good reviews about it too.
Ruger makes excellent rifles. Your 10-22 was a good pickup.

Despite my background I don't really have much of an aresenal. for handguns I have my grandfathers M1911, my duty G17 and a G27 I carry daily. I have a Remington 1100 autoloader shotgun and a Remington M700 BDL in 30-06. I gave my Remington pump .22 to my oldest son for Chirstmas last year...need to pick up another .22 rifle....may end up being a 10-22. My main rifle is a RRA M4 carbine. Bought it right before Obama was elected. That's my zombie gun.
When the show first came out I was excited about. I mean really, who hasn't ask themselves "Spartan vs. Ninja who would win". Nobody hasn't, that's who. But you guys are right it is just about which weapons are better the don't really take anything else into account.
But that episode when they pitted SPETSNAZ vs. Green Berets wasn't to bad, especailly when that russian threw a grenade into the washing machine then slowly walked away while lighting a smoke was pretty entertaining.
But I quit watching soon after that. To this day I have know idea who would win in a fight, a Viking or a Samurai Confusedad:
cody Wrote:When the show first came out I was excited about. I mean really, who hasn't ask themselves "Spartan vs. Ninja who would win". Nobody hasn't, that's who. But you guys are right it is just about which weapons are better the don't really take anything else into account.
But that episode when they pitted SPETSNAZ vs. Green Berets wasn't to bad, especailly when that russian threw a grenade into the washing machine then slowly walked away while lighting a smoke was pretty entertaining.
But I quit watching soon after that. To this day I have know idea who would win in a fight, a Viking or a Samurai Confusedad:

The Viking won that one (accordiong to them).
I just deleted this show from my DVR season pass. Just not even close to being realistic for a Military History buff like myself.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
cody Wrote:When the show first came out I was excited about. I mean really, who hasn't ask themselves "Spartan vs. Ninja who would win". Nobody hasn't, that's who. But you guys are right it is just about which weapons are better the don't really take anything else into account.

The Viking won that one (accordiong to them).

Of course they did. :rock:
[quote="Pete Nice"]I think we need a new forum entitled either "Guns" "Guns and knives" or "kiilin stuff" or "stuff to kill with" [quote]
I don't want to be the one to start it, but one again..... :rock: