Dudebro Nation

Full Version: What happens when you die?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Swoot news thread got me thinking about this.
My buddy and me debate this alot. He says it's nothing but dirt and worms. I think there is something after. I was raised catholic. They teach there's heaven and hell. I belive you have to own up to the stuff you do, like karma. I'm not 100% on what the church says though.I probly sound like a nut, but i lived in a straight up haunted house before. I'm not the only one who's seen weird stuff there before too. That has me pretty convinced that your spirit lives on.

Maybe i'm getting a little too deep. :beer: Maybe you go to a gigantic hockey rink and play forever :poke:
When you die, the Flyers never win again and you are in peace.....
:roflmao: Hockey :cya:
I believe in God and heaven...I think there is something after this life....I have to believe there is something else or that would really suck.
As long as nobody is talking about American Idol, wrestling, or hockey, I'll be happy :poke:
Step 1: Initial decay
Initial decay occurs from 0 to 3 days after death. Although the body appears fresh from the outside, many things are going on inside the body to contribute to the process of decomposition. The bacteria that are normally inside the intestines of a living person begin to feed on the contents of the intestine and the intestine itself. Eventually these bacteria break out into the body cavity and start to digest other organs. Since the intestine is no longer intact, the body's digestive enzymes, which were kept safely inside the intestine and stomach, leak out and spread through the body helping to break down more organs and
tissues. At the same time, enzymes inside individual cells leak out and digest the cell and its connections with other cells.

Let's not forget about the insects! From the moment of death flies are attracted to the smell of the decomposing body. Without the normal defenses of a living body, these flies are able to lay their eggs around wounds and other body openings (mouth, nose, eyes. etc.). Within 24 hours most of these eggs hatch and the larvae, or maggots, move into the body to feed on the dead tissue.

Step 2: Putrefaction

Putrefaction occurs from 4 to 10 days after death. As the bacteria are breaking down the tissues and cells they are also producing a lot of gas. These gases include hydrogen sulfide, methane, cadaverine, and putrescine. All of these gases really stink, but insects love the smell. More and more flies start to show up along with beetles and mites. The gases also cause the body to inflate forcing more fluids out of the cells and blood vessels and into the body cavity. This provides even more food for the bacteria and a nice warm living space for the maggots.

Step 3: Black putrefaction

This stage occurs from 10 to 20 days after death. The bloated body eventually collapses and the flesh has gotten creamy (like cottage cheese). The exposed parts of the body have turned black and the body really begins to stink. A lot of the fluids have now leaked out of the body into the soil attracting more insects and mites. These insects and mites will eventually consume most of the flesh on the body. Bacteria are still at work also, and will consume the flesh if there are no insects around. The temperature of the body also increases due to all of the insect activity.

Step 4: Butyric fermentation

Butyric fermentation occurs from 20 to 50 days after death. All of the remaining flesh on the body is removed during this time and the body starts to dry out. It has a "cheesy" smell caused by butyric acid. This smell attracts a bunch of new organisms to the body. Mold starts to grow on the part of the body that is touching the ground and a lot of beetles show up. Since the body is beginning to dry out maggots are no longer able to eat the tough flesh. Beetles, however, are able to chew through
this tough material such as skin and ligaments.

Step 5: Dry decay

This stage occurs from 50 to 365 days after death. The body is now dry and decays very slowly. Tineid moths and bacteria eventually eat the person's hair, leaving nothing but bones. As long as there are no large animals around to carry them away, the bones can remain almost indefinitely.

That brings us to the end of the decomposition process. Most of these steps depend a lot on the climate. Temperature and moisture and the presence of insects will affect how long this whole process takes. Decomposition will occur much faster in the summer than in the winter and also will take longer in a body that is buried than a body that is left exposed on the ground.
:barf:
Derick, flies can't get in the coffin or vault can they??? I hope not...Maybe I should consider a Mosolium (sp?).
Iva13 Wrote:Derick, flies can't get in the coffin or vault can they??? I hope not...Maybe I should consider a Mosolium (sp?).
now a day, the caskets are pretty well sealed, but it depends upon how you died, if you were shot and left for dead out in the sticks then yes there will be flies, but if you died in a hospital probably not.
Aside from the body decomposing, I think nothing happens.
the keifer Wrote:Aside from the body decomposing, I think nothing happens.
:high5:
I am getting cremated to avoid many of those steps...

As for the life after death / heaven/hell stuff. I believe that there is something to it, but I believe it is something that we cannot comprehend until it's our time. My reason for believing... My aunt collapsed suddenly a few years back. They were able to start her heart again, but she was in a coma. She never woke up again from it. And the day my mom and I decided to pull the plug, we both agreed that "she" wasn't there anymore, that only her body was on that bed. I looked at her face everyday that week, I was in denial, but I could tell she was gone. I guess you really have to be face-to-face with death to even begin to grasp it all.