Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Direct TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got quite a few buyer beware stories, but I guess I'll start off with Direct TV.

When I ordered it I was pretty excited to get away from Comcast and their constant billing surprises. On the day of the install I waited around pretty much all day and then got a call from the installer telling me he was going to be late. This was a good hour after he was already supposed to be here.

The guy shows up in a pickup truck (not a Direct TV van) and gets out of the truck and stares at the house for a bit. Then he tells me that it's not a good idea to put the dish on the house and I should go with the pole mount. He says the pole and mounting it in the ground will be $50. I didn't want holes in the house so I paid him the $50. I left him alone and let him do his thing. (Except for when he would ask me to borrow tools)

I couple months later we get a storm and the dish needs alignment. I have it aligned after like a week without TV. A couple more months later it's the same deal. Then a few more months later I have to have them come back out again. This time the guy says the pole is mounted wrong and was never set into concrete. He wants $150 to mount it. I told them they could fix it or I'd go to Comcast and they let me go. My DSL speeds sucked so I was ready to switch anyway.

Somewhere in between all my dish adjustments I bought a few HD boxes online to add additional TVs in the house. These boxes were like $200 and $100.

When I called to cancel my service they informed me that my 2 year contact was automatically renewed every time I purchased an additional box. The early termination was going to be $20 for each month that I still had left on my “new contract.” According to them I still had like a year and a half left on the contract. They also informed me that the boxes I got from the 3rd party website were not purchased and were only rentals and I’d need to return those as well.
Their policies may be common knowledge to some or even most of you, but I figured if I didn’t know then maybe someone else might have the same issues.
The part where he borrows your tools, I would have asked him to leave.
If they're gonna install your service, they better have the shit on their trucks that they need to do the job. That's just a given. I got all the shit I need riding around in the back when I do my alarm and camera installs. I hate relying on other people when it comes to my job.
I don't blame ya for being :Flaming: when he tries to borrow your tools to do the install. That's just :bullshit:
That's bullshit. Installation is supposed to include the pole mount. You don't have to set them in concrete either (although it is a good idea). You sink the pole a foot in the ground and then drill three offset holes and screw self-tapping bolts into the holes. Then pound the pole down until the bolts bury themselves a few inches in the ground. That bitch isn't turning anywhere.

I would have called DTV and thrown a fit over that crap.
Hondo Wrote:That's bullshit. Installation is supposed to include the pole mount. You don't have to set them in concrete either (although it is a good idea). You sink the pole a foot in the ground and then drill three offset holes and screw self-tapping bolts into the holes. Then pound the pole down until the bolts bury themselves a few inches in the ground. That bitch isn't turning anywhere.

I would have called DTV and thrown a fit over that crap.
Oh I threw all kinds of fits.

When it came to the billing issue and all the cancelation fees they basically told me to suck it. Luckily my girlfriend is relentless and found the phone number to some executive and called her. She raied hell and got a few hundred dropped from my bill.
I think they hire those guys as sub-contractors. I bet he didn't have a ladder or just didn't feel like getting up on the roof.

we're on a resteraunt job now where these mexican dudes keep borrowing all my bosses shit to do thier job. He's too nice to say no, but he bitches about it later. It pisses me off. If it was me i'd tell the to get thier own shit or give me a cut of the money your making with MY tools :riot:
See, it's shit like this that makes me want to never get satellite, and I never will. I have direct TV for a while in the late 90's early 2000's when a buddy got a machine that programmed the access cards to get everything fro free, but never actually got the service legally.

I will stick with comcast, despite all their issues.

I was also REAL pissed when I was at a buddies house for the Belmont and a storm blew over as they were gating the horses and I missed the ENTIRE FUCKING RACE. :Flaming:
I had Comcast, and I wanted to get Fios. But after a while I realized it wasn't going to be coming to my area so I went with U-Verse. I like it so much more then traditional cable. Channels change instantly. SD picture quality is a shit ton better. The Total Home DVR is awesome. The limited number of feeds sucks, but that's not an issue very often.
I loved my Directv, but they were bastards were it came time to cancel. I had paid over $100 for my HD receiver, but they told me that I was leasing it. I thought that was bullshit. They'll keep telling you that you need to send it back, but they don't want to say to where, unless you hit the right people who will send you the kit to box it up with (it's not supposed to cost you anything to ship the receiver back.) I feel your pain, Joe. I just got another letter from them begging me to come back, too.
I have DirecTV and have not had any major problems. My receiver went out, I took it back to Best Buy and they replaceed it for free. The guy who installed mine even climbed in the attic to run a second cable to because I have the two tuner box. I gave him an extra $20 because he did a great job setting it up. And he was a contractor, did not work directly for them. When there is really bad weather, I do sometimes lose the picture, but thats only a few times a year.
My parents recently switched back to DirecTv after ditching Dish Network. They live out where there is nothing else available as far as cable and interweb go. The directv guy didn't recommend mounting the dish up on the antenna tower so he mounted a pole in the middle of my mom's flowerbed. My mom was pissed and the reception sucked depending on weather. My dad remounted it up on the antenna tower and now it rarely cuts out. What it comes down to is the tech was too lazy to mount it up high.
Oh yeah and they don't take their dishes when you cancel. I guess I should do through some Christmas lights on mine.
Joe Wrote:Oh yeah and they don't take their dishes when you cancel. I guess I should do through some Christmas lights on mine.
I would've taken it down myself.