Dudebro Nation

Full Version: What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The day before my wife and I flew to Cancun with my family, we had to drive to Edmonton, about a 4.5 hour drive. While we were having dinner in Edmonton, my wife's mom calls to tell us that my wife's grandmother had died suddenly of a massive heart attack. Now we had to decide whether or not to go to Cancun. We obviously went to Cancun but what would you do? My parents paid for the whole trip and we didn't have any cancellation insurance. They also held the funeral while we were gone, but that wasn't decided until after we had already left.
Tough call, since everything was paid for w/o the insurance . It really depends on how close your wife was with her grandmother though. You made the same choice I would have made.
MAN, that is tough. One of my best friends went to Switzerland last summer to visit his wife's sister, who lived there. The day they landed, they got a call that his wife's dad had died. They had to turn around and come right back home. That sucks. Luckily, they have money and can afford the lost travel expenses.

Did you check with the flight and resort to see if they could move your trip for a fee?

I would have done that first.

Then I would have talked to her parents to see how they truly felt about it.

When it came down to it, I would have tried everything to move things first, then go if absolutely nothing could be done.

When I got married, we were supposed to fly out of Baltimore to St. Lucia on Saturday. The Sandals rep told us my wife did not need a visa, despite having a Russian passport. When we got to the airport, we found out that she did indeed need a visa and the St. Lucia embassy in DC was not open until Monday to do visas. We had to get all new flights on Tuesday, couldn't do Monday b/c the flights all left within an hour of the embassy opening. Her original airline ticket was with US Air, who I hate, but they let her use the ticket again to anywhere within a year. I think she had to pay a $50 fee to do so.

Good thing we had gone to Baltimore on Friday to see the Pirates/Orioles game on Friday night and planned on flying out of Baltimore the entire time. That put us closer to DC and all the embassies. IF we had planned on just flying out of Pittsburgh, we would have had to worry about going all the way to DC when we didn't plan on it.

I think I just got hit with ADD there.
That would suck. That had to put a damper on the trip. Sure wouldn't enjoy it as much. Honest-Lee I wouldn't know what to do.
Pete Nice Wrote:MAN, that is tough. One of my best friends went to Switzerland last summer to visit his wife's sister, who lived there. The day they landed, they got a call that his wife's dad had died. They had to turn around and come right back home. That sucks. Luckily, they have money and can afford the lost travel expenses.

Did you check with the flight and resort to see if they could move your trip for a fee?

I would have done that first.

Then I would have talked to her parents to see how they truly felt about it.

When it came down to it, I would have tried everything to move things first, then go if absolutely nothing could be done.

When I got married, we were supposed to fly out of Baltimore to St. Lucia on Saturday. The Sandals rep told us my wife did not need a visa, despite having a Russian passport. When we got to the airport, we found out that she did indeed need a visa and the St. Lucia embassy in DC was not open until Monday to do visas. We had to get all new flights on Tuesday, couldn't do Monday b/c the flights all left within an hour of the embassy opening. Her original airline ticket was with US Air, who I hate, but they let her use the ticket again to anywhere within a year. I think she had to pay a $50 fee to do so.

Good thing we had gone to Baltimore on Friday to see the Pirates/Orioles game on Friday night and planned on flying out of Baltimore the entire time. That put us closer to DC and all the embassies. IF we had planned on just flying out of Pittsburgh, we would have had to worry about going all the way to DC when we didn't plan on it.

I think I just got hit with ADD there.

The point of the trip was a family trip, so if my wife and I went at another time, it would miss the point. My family was going regarless. Her mom called us first because she thought we should come home, so she was dissapointed. I was hoping the funeral wouldn't be until after we got back but she also told them not to wait for us. My wife was a trooper, we grieved when we heard the news, but she kept a brave face while we were there.
Geez, that just sucks... I guess it would all depend on how close I was. If it were my mom, then i will be a complete wreck and I wouldn't be able to do anything. At least her family understood enough to wait for you guys.
its your wifes grandmother, take the trip, send her home, find yourself a young nuss willing to do EVERYTHING for a free trip
beckster Wrote:Geez, that just sucks... I guess it would all depend on how close I was. If it were my mom, then i will be a complete wreck and I wouldn't be able to do anything. At least her family understood enough to wait for you guys.

they didn't wait for to come back for the funeral, she died saturday, funeral was thursday
Well like Aunt Millie says "Life is for the living"....I get mad at her sometimes when she says that but in this case....I would have done the same thing... I would hope my Mom would tell me to go and try to have a good time and that Grandmom wouldn't have wanted me to cancel a trip like that.
They should have delayed the funeral until you got back. I mean seriously...what's the hurry?

I still go with Derick's solution for the win.
Iva has a good point. More than likely the person who passed away would have wanted you to go on the trip.
Its not uncommon. I would suggest to continue on, Your parents probably already understand and are pretty much OK with it (If they have a balanced head on their shoulders).
Perhaps upon return attend a special mass in honor of the deceased with family members.
Hondo Wrote:They should have delayed the funeral until you got back. I mean seriously...what's the hurry?

I still go with Derick's solution for the win.
for the mother fucking win bitches
We would have never gotten into a situation like this, my husband is a workaholic and is very frugal. Trips = spending money therefore we don't do it. Hypothetically though, my family would wait for us to get back or in my husbands families case they would go on without us and we most likely wouldn't be sad. I am pissed off I have to drive three hours to spend an hour lunch with the woman on Saturday while my husband is at work.
Nussie_T Wrote:my husband is a workaholic and is very frugal.
I can save him some money.Tell him not to buy Bomber tickets.They will lose anyways. :poke:
Pages: 1 2