Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Introduction to KODI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For anyone not familiar with KODI.

[youtube]kid3KTm0fwU[/youtube]

I've built 3 of these for the house. All you need is good internet and you can watch anything.
SWEET!!!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:SWEET!!!!

It's really is. I kept saying I'd try it for years and I finally did and I can't tell you how much time I've wasted watching movies and TV shows. I even watched the Ronda Rousey fight live for free using it.
Joe Wrote:
beckster Wrote:SWEET!!!!

It's really is. I kept saying I'd try it for years and I finally did and I can't tell you how much time I've wasted watching movies and TV shows. I even watched the Ronda Rousey fight live for free using it.

I have an old XP tower that I kinda want to hook up to the tv in our room and set it up in some way like that. When I originally had it built, I had them put a tv tuner card in it - it's analog though. But that pc was set up as a multi-media center so I thought of using it instead of buying another Roku box. Hell, I even have a remote for the thing.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Joe Wrote:
beckster Wrote:SWEET!!!!

I have an old XP tower that I kinda want to hook up to the tv in our room and set it up in some way like that. When I originally had it built, I had them put a tv tuner card in it - it's analog though. But that pc was set up as a multi-media center so I thought of using it instead of buying another Roku box. Hell, I even have a remote for the thing.

Well if you want to get rid of XP and wipe that entire system to use it for KODI I'd recommend OpenElec. You basically burn it to a disk, boot to it and follow the instructions. It will setup the system (run linux) and then will setup KODI right after. You would turn the PC on and it will power up and launch KODI in a few seconds.

http://openelec.tv/home/what-is-openelec
The down side to using an old PC would be that it probably doesn't have an HDMI port on it.
This is a cheap and easy way to run KODI.
http://webshop.openelec.tv/

There's also a way to get KODI to run on an Amazon Fire Stick. Jim from the C&R forum runs KODI on his Firestick. I think those are like $40 or less.
I have 300 or 400 movies on my main computer at home.
Then I have an older computer in my bedroom, just so I can use media center to watch all those movies.
And I recently bought ah HP Mini Pavilion for the living room. But it came with Windows 8, and I've been trying to put Windows 7 on it, and can not figure out how to get it to boot from an external dvd rom.

I used XBMC once a long time ago, and liked it. And I'm not sure why I switched to MediaCenter, but I'm going to look into that.
Chip Wrote:I have 300 or 400 movies on my main computer at home.
Then I have an older computer in my bedroom, just so I can use media center to watch all those movies.
And I recently bought ah HP Mini Pavilion for the living room. But it came with Windows 8, and I've been trying to put Windows 7 on it, and can not figure out how to get it to boot from an external dvd rom.

I used XBMC once a long time ago, and liked it. And I'm not sure why I switched to MediaCenter, but I'm going to look into that.

Oh yeah, ditch Media Center. I never knew how people used that. Upgrade that HP to Windows 10 for free and then install the KODI Windows app. After you have the app installed there's an installer you can pick up that will pre-configure your KODI with all the best plugins.
Joe Wrote:

Oh yeah, ditch Media Center. I never knew how people used that. Upgrade that HP to Windows 10 for free and then install the KODI Windows app. After you have the app installed there's an installer you can pick up that will pre-configure your KODI with all the best plugins.

I can put just KODI on a computer, can't I?
I'd rather go that way
Joe Wrote:The down side to using an old PC would be that it probably doesn't have an HDMI port on it.

I'll have to check. It may have one. I know i have the port to plug a vcr into it and I thought that there was an HDMI next to that.
As soon as I get an extra half an hour, I'm looking more into it.
Chip Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

I can put just KODI on a computer, can't I?
I'd rather go that way
Yeah it's a Windows app now too.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
I've been on Kodi/XBMC for years. I'm positive I introduced Joe to it. I cant say enough about it. If you haven't tried it out, what are you waiting for?
fuqhard Wrote:I've been on Kodi/XBMC for years. I'm positive I introduced Joe to it. I cant say enough about it. If you haven't tried it out, what are you waiting for?

Time to even set it up. I seem to have no time for anything lately (Have a toddler with a broken leg)
Pages: 1 2