Dudebro Nation

Full Version: April 7th, 2015 - Being Homeless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Being homeless is something I'm trying to avoid. It's fucking hard.

My phone rings roughly once an hour with some call about a job. Unfortunately it's mostly recruiters that don't know shit about what they are trying to place people for. Some of the conversations are just too annoying. On the other hand, I get calls for jobs from employers and they seem to know what they are hiring for bu don't want to pay.
A typical phone interview regarding salary. (Numbers exaggerated)
Interviewer: So what salary are you looking for?
Interviewee: I'd really like to stay around or above the $5 range.
Interviewer: Oh great, that's in our $3 to $6 range. So are you currently still working?
Interviewee: No, my last day of work was last week.
(Some small talk goes on)
Interviewer: So we'd like to get you in here and speak with you more, but we'd like to make sure you'd be OK if we could only get you in at $3.

The poor management decisions of my previous employer still haunt me today.
Joe Wrote:Being homeless is something I'm trying to avoid. It's fucking hard.

My phone rings roughly once an hour with some call about a job. Unfortunately it's mostly recruiters that don't know shit about what they are trying to place people for. Some of the conversations are just too annoying. On the other hand, I get calls for jobs from employers and they seem to know what they are hiring for bu don't want to pay.

It's hard to find a good recruiter who is willing to get you what you want.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Being homeless is something I'm trying to avoid. It's fucking hard.

It's hard to find a good recruiter who is willing to get you what you want.

The last phone call was a follow up to a call I took last week and then again yesterday.

Friday there was a 6 month contract to hire position with a world wide organization.

Monday that position went from 6 month contract to hire to 6 months filling in for someone on leave with the potential to be hired full time.

Today the position is filling in for someone until they return. They may never return, they may return in 6 months or they may return next week. No one is certain.
For me, it's always me telling them that I want full time, permanent work. Then they call me back to inform me of a position that is only expected to last 2 months. I guess 2 months is now the new "permanent".
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:For me, it's always me telling them that I want full time, permanent work. Then they call me back to inform me of a position that is only expected to last 2 months. I guess 2 months is now the new "permanent".

Yeah I went back on the job boards and made sure my profile says permanent only and still 75% of the calls are for temp jobs. I especially like the calls for 3 month jobs across the country.
Joe Wrote:The last phone call was a follow up to a call I took last week and then again yesterday.

Friday there was a 6 month contract to hire position with a world wide organization.

Monday that position went from 6 month contract to hire to 6 months filling in for someone on leave with the potential to be hired full time.

Today the position is filling in for someone until they return. They may never return, they may return in 6 months or they may return next week. No one is certain.

I jumped thru a few jobs that were like that after I left the pickle plant. Of course, none of them worked out to be permanent, which sucked since they were such nice places to work. I guess I got some experience out of it.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I jumped thru a few jobs that were like that after I left the pickle plant. Of course, none of them worked out to be permanent, which sucked since they were such nice places to work. I guess I got some experience out of it.

I could probably take something temporary, because I'm really uncertain what I want to do right now. I'd really like to get some more work done on the house and put it up for sale, but I'm just not ready for that right now. I was making good progress on the house and and was even researching different counties closer to where I came from until the job thing happened.
Our biggest issue hiring people is that they either don't show up or they are really lazy.
Joe Wrote:
becksterI Wrote:I jumped thru a few jobs that were like that after I left the pickle plant. Of course, none of them worked out to be permanent, which sucked since they were such nice places to work. I guess I got some experience out of it.

I could probably take something temporary, because I'm really uncertain what I want to do right now. I'd really like to get some more work done on the house and put it up for sale, but I'm just not ready for that right now. I was making good progress on the house and and was even researching different counties closer to where I came from until the job thing happened.

It would be a nice time to get away from that house since you are not tied to the area right now. I still want to get away from our house. I hate this location.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:None of my sisters would name their kids after my Jim and I wouldn't name my kids after their guys. That would just be too weird.

Her dads name is Jim and her brother's name is James.

When we were thinking of names for our second kid we avoided everything that was in use by a family member. I wanted the name Anna. Jim thought Julianne Hough was hot. We compromised and came to Julianna. For her second name we wanted a family name. Jims grandmas names were Eleanor, Beatrice and Olive. My grandmas names were Margaret, Lenore and Elsie. We went with the one that sounded the best... Margaret.
Could you not just sell your house as is!? Some people buy houses as fixer uppers. My sister is looking at one right now. They want to live in our pit house while they fix it up.
NussieT Wrote:Could you not just sell your house as is!? Some people buy houses as fixer uppers. My sister is looking at one right now. They want to live in our pit house while they fix it up.

So the deal with the house is that I paid like 190k for it in 2006. Roughly around 2007-2008 it was worth 235k. After the economy tanked it went to 120k. It didn't exactly rebound and with me still owing like 175k I'm kinda screwed if I sell it for like 140k right now.

I don't know if it's only worth 140, but I figure my best chance is to finish off the basement completely with another large living room and a full bathroom before selling it. The bathroom with the exception of some trim work is pretty much done. At 11x6 it's a pretty big bathroom. A few weeks ago I had the rest of the supplies dropped off for the ceiling and walls. Once the ceiling is in all that remains is the carpet down there. I was hoping to carpet down there and then focus on the floors upstairs. I was going to do some tile in the bathrooms and then have some carpet put down in the living room and bedrooms and then put it right up for sale.

After all of that I hope to break even. With the market being so shitty in this area I don't think a fixer upper will sell unless I take a huge loss. If I take a huge loss then I can't get into a new place.

The more I think about it the more depressed I get. I spent several days in the hospital with my father last week in Jersey and it's time like that when I wish I was just back there even more.
Kia sorento exploding 50 feet from my porch last night. Wish shit like that happened more often. It was a fun time.

Explosion: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/Phkk0qu2o3o">https://youtu.be/Phkk0qu2o3o</a><!-- m -->
Fixing houses sucks.
Pages: 1 2 3