Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Tuesday 3/11/14... One more day of winter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
yeah there predicting 8" of snow tonight, oh well, its also supposed to be 50 tomorrow anyway.
mechanical question dealing with hydraulic braking system

say I want to put air in the lines of a braking system to reduce its effectiveness. How would you go about putting a measurable quantity of air into the line? How would you go about putting air into the line in general. Keep in mind that currently there is no air in the lines. And before you say you shouldnt do that, I already know you shouldnt do that. Go....
Winter can suck it...

Good morning.
Derick Wrote:mechanical question dealing with hydraulic braking system

say I want to put air in the lines of a braking system to reduce its effectiveness. How would you go about putting a measurable quantity of air into the line? How would you go about putting air into the line in general. Keep in mind that currently there is no air in the lines. And before you say you shouldnt do that, I already know you shouldnt do that. Go....

interesting question. first, why would you want this? How do you know how much air to put in to get the results you want?

how to get it in there, take a fitting off, suck a measurable amount of brake fluid out using a syringe, theoritaclly, if done correct, the amount of fluid removed should be equasl to the air that replaced it. then close the system back up
LeNeve Wrote:
Derick Wrote:mechanical question dealing with hydraulic braking system

interesting question. first, why would you want this? How do you know how much air to put in to get the results you want?

how to get it in there, take a fitting off, suck a measurable amount of brake fluid out using a syringe, theoritaclly, if done correct, the amount of fluid removed should be equasl to the air that replaced it. then close the system back up
1. to reduce the effectiveness of the braking system, basically right now its an on/off switch, touch the brake the tire locks. In its current form is basically un-usable, I want to essentially de-tune it to a useable form
2. I have no idea how much air to put into it, but if there is a way to measure, then I can adjust as needed, instead of guessing
3. braking systems are semi-open systems, the part from the fluid reservoir to the actual lever is an open system, while the lever to the brake is closed. I can see opening the bleed screw and sucking out a known amount of fluid, but how does that get replaced by air? When you bleed you basically push the fluid into the lines.
you would have to find a spot between the bleed screw and the line somewhere. pull the line off going to the calpre, and suck air out of it. or find a joint in the brake line that can be seperated, make a seperation if you have to.
isn't there some sort of check valve, proprtioning valve, restrictor valve on the markett anywhere? I assume this is motorcycle related.
say it looks like this, would I be able to crack the banjo open, then suck out of the bleed nipple?

[Image: 2013_zero-fx_detail_rear-brake_1680x1200_press.jpg]
LeNeve Wrote:isn't there some sort of check valve, proprtioning valve, restrictor valve on the markett anywhere? I assume this is motorcycle related.
apparently back in the day they made something that looked like this

[Image: index.php?PHPSESSID=rb7b1ckpe7r9sd1ajrsh...7006;image]
I would suck it out of the calipre, because gravity will keep it flowing through the banjo fitting. on anything iI've worked on that is what happens anyway.
you would think a fully adustable racing calipre would have been invented by now.
the other method is to remove material from the brake pad, but since fluid cost less than the pads, I figured that was the easier cheaper option
I am fascinated.

[Image: popcorn_danny_devito.gif]
Derick Wrote:the other method is to remove material from the brake pad, but since fluid cost less than the pads, I figured that was the easier cheaper option

how would this work? the friction material is the same strength no matter how thick it is right?
one of these days Chip, you are goin g to be at the bar with your friends, and one of them will want to know how he can reduce the effectivness of his brakes on his bike. then you will be like, well, you see.... then explain
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8