Dudebro Nation

Full Version: July 1st, 2013 - The Battle Begins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Battle of Gettysburg was fought July 1–3, 1863, in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania between Union and Confederate forces during the American Civil War. The battle involved the largest number of casualties of the entire war and is often described as the war's turning point. Union Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade's Army of the Potomac defeated attacks by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, ending Lee's invasion of the North.

That started 150 years ago today.

Boom! There's your history lesson for the day.
In other history...

Today is Monday, July 1, the 182nd day of 2013. There are 183 days left in the year. This is Canada Day.

Today's Highlight in History:

On July 1, 1863, the pivotal, three-day Civil War Battle of Gettysburg, resulting in a Union victory, began in Pennsylvania.

On this date:

In 1535, Sir Thomas More went on trial in England, charged with high treason for rejecting the Oath of Supremacy. (More was convicted, and executed.)

In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed the first Pacific Railroad Act.

In 1867, Canada became a self-governing dominion of Great Britain as the British North America Act took effect.

In 1903, the first Tour de France began. (It ended on July 19; the winner was Maurice Garin.)

In 1912, aviator Harriet Quimby, 37, was killed along with her passenger, William Willard, when they were thrown out of Quimby's monoplane at the Third Annual Boston Aviation Meet.

In 1942, the First Battle of El Alamein began during World War II. Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra and vocalist Frank Sinatra recorded "There Are Such Things" in New York for Victor Records.

In 1946, the United States exploded a 20-kiloton atomic bomb near Bikini Atoll in the Pacific.

In 1963, the U.S. Post Office inaugurated its five-digit ZIP codes.

In 1973, the Drug Enforcement Administration was established.

In 1980, "O Canada" was proclaimed the national anthem of Canada.

In 1993, a gunman opened fire in a San Francisco law office, killing eight people and wounding six before killing himself.

In 2004, actor Marlon Brando died in Los Angeles at age 80.
Since JDubb is on Vacation I'll get you up to speed on your 10 things.

Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:

1. 19 FIREFIGHTERS KILLED BATTLING ARIZONA WILDFIRE

Forestry officials say the firefighters were caught battling a fast-moving blaze in the central town of Yarnell.

2. `BY HOOK OR BY CROOK, WE WILL BRING MORSI DOWN'

Massive crowds of protesters hit streets in Cairo and other Egyptian cities, aiming to show that the country has irrevocably turned against its Islamist president.

3. WHO'S LEVELING NEW SURVEILLANCE ACCUSATIONS

Key allies are threatening sanctions against the U.S. over a report of covert listening devices installed in European Union offices.

4. THE MIRACLE ON THE HUDSON, ACT II

A helicopter carrying four Swedes on a sightseeing tour of New York City makes an emergency landing on the river, with all escaping unhurt.

5. OBAMA: AFRICA MUST FOLLOW MANDELA'S VISION

The president calls on Africans to focus on expanding opportunity, promoting democracy and supporting peace.

6. HOUSE TAKES UP IMMIGRATION FIX

Legislation reaches the Republican-led House, where conservatives could face primary challenges if they appear too lenient.

7. SESQUICENTENNIAL FOR CONFEDERACY'S HIGH-WATER MARK

More than 200,000 are expected to swarm the south-central Pennsylvania town of Gettysburg over the 10-day period commemorating the Civil War battle.

8. SOUTHWEST SIZZLES AS TEMPERATURES SOAR

Death Valley, the hottest place on the planet, reaches 127 degrees. Phoenix hits 119, with more heat forecast.

9. NO BUCKS MEANS NO BANG FOR JULY 4TH

Fireworks are canceled at a number of military installations because of budget cuts and furloughed workers.

10. A WHIFF OF TEAR GAS AT BRAZIL SOCCER FINAL

Police battle thousands of anti-government protesters outside the stadium in Rio hosting the Confederations Cup.

the more you know
Oh Canada wasn't the Canadian national anthem until 1980?
Huh.
Last Friday was a party around here called the Jobbie Nooner.
I've never been, but it looks kinda fun.

[Image: doc51ccd2e0ceac95653863191.jpg]

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/maco...ull-Island
http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2013/0...386319.txt
Chip Wrote:Oh Canada wasn't the Canadian national anthem until 1980?
Huh.
I believe officially it was God save the Queen or something. O Canada existed

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III possibly while taking a dump
Joe Wrote:10. A WHIFF OF TEAR GAS AT BRAZIL SOCCER FINAL

Police battle thousands of anti-government protesters outside the stadium in Rio hosting the Confederations Cup.

[/color]

Did you see that defensemen save that goal?
That was impressive.
Prince Fielder hit the ball really, really hard on Friday.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/0...ana-field/
:roflmao:
Great start to the short week for me...

[youtube]wd-CITMs4ik[/youtube]
I'm watching that video again, and I'm wondering how people made it through work before the internet.
Just as I was starting to forget how much I hate this job Monday arrived and I'm reminded all over again.
I'm kind of glad I didn't have the internet when I was younger.
Saturday I was all hungover. bad, real bad. and the service manager calls me about 8:15 and tells me to come to work, because an older couple's truck broke down pulling a camper. shit sucked bad. At first I was having a pretty good time though. The guy did give me 50 bucks on the side. I had them back on the road by 11 too.
Nervous Matt?

[Image: jNef9e5.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8