Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Monday 5/21/2012 - Like a Good Neighbor......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Lot's of work. I also am finding out that we waited to long for daycare. everything is booked up until next spring, that is bullshit. Why did no one tell me day cares book up so far ahead?
Your wife doesnt get maternity leave?

Imported from Canada

She does, but only 3 months, which takes her up to the beginning of October and we can not afford for her not to work right now.
That friggin blows. We get 9 months of combo maternity/paternity leave

Imported from Canada

Yeah it does suck. It is all unpaid also. My wife was researching it, and there are only 4 countries in the world that do not offer mandatory paid maternity leave. The US, Libya, Iran and Somalia. Ain't that some shit? In Russia women get two years paid. In Slovakia, they get three years paid. Granted it is like disability, 60% pay or something like that, but still, they are getting paid.

Instead of healthcare, how about mandatory paid maternity leave? That is a politician that I would vote for. There would need to be restrictions of course, but still, 6 to 12 months paid at 60% should be mandatory.
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Lot's of work. I also am finding out that we waited to long for daycare. everything is booked up until next spring, that is bullshit. Why did no one tell me day cares book up so far ahead?
Your wife doesnt get maternity leave?

Imported from Canada

She does, but only 3 months, which takes her up to the beginning of October and we can not afford for her not to work right now.
That friggin blows. We get 9 months of combo maternity/paternity leave

Imported from Canada

Yeah it does suck. It is all unpaid also. My wife was researching it, and there are only 4 countries in the world that do not offer mandatory paid maternity leave. The US, Libya, Iran and Somalia. Ain't that some shit? In Russia women get two years paid. In Slovakia, they get three years paid. Granted it is like disability, 60% pay or something like that, but still, they are getting paid.

Instead of healthcare, how about mandatory paid maternity leave? That is a politician that I would vote for. There would need to be restrictions of course, but still, 6 to 12 months paid at 60% should be mandatory.
I believe thats part of our healthcare/employment insurance through the government

Imported from Canada
Brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Yeah it does suck. It is all unpaid also. My wife was researching it, and there are only 4 countries in the world that do not offer mandatory paid maternity leave. The US, Libya, Iran and Somalia. Ain't that some shit? In Russia women get two years paid. In Slovakia, they get three years paid. Granted it is like disability, 60% pay or something like that, but still, they are getting paid.

I believe thats part of our healthcare/employment insurance through the government

Imported from Canada

I need to move to Canada.
In Alberta you get a full year maternity/parental leave. there is a limit however, my wife got $600 every 2 weeks for the year.
michaelangelo Wrote:In Alberta you get a full year maternity/parental leave. there is a limit however, my wife got $600 every 2 weeks for the year.

If my wife would get $600 every two weeks on maternity leave, she could stay out as long as they keep paying. It is a crying shame the US does not have mandatory maternity leave. In fact, less than 10% of US employers even offer any kind of paid maternity leave.

$600 every two weeks would cover her car payment and student loans. That is all I need her to cover.
Pete Nice Wrote:
michaelangelo Wrote:In Alberta you get a full year maternity/parental leave. there is a limit however, my wife got $600 every 2 weeks for the year.

If my wife would get $600 every two weeks on maternity leave, she could stay out as long as they keep paying. It is a crying shame the US does not have mandatory maternity leave. In fact, less than 10% of US employers even offer any kind of paid maternity leave.

$600 every two weeks would cover her car payment and student loans. That is all I need her to cover.

That sounds like something Obama would pass. You should write to him.
Pete Nice Wrote:

This is one of the reasons why i dont mind paying a little more in taxes

Imported from Canada
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:That friggin blows. We get 9 months of combo maternity/paternity leave

Imported from Canada

So, if I was going to get knocked up, I gotta move to another country for a spell.. How dumb.
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

That sounds like something Obama would pass. You should write to him.

No, see Obama would only offer it to poor people. Hard working people like you and I would still have nothing and have to do it all ourselves while paying more in taxes. I would not be against paying an additional 1% or 2% in fed taxes if at least 6 months of paid maternity leave was mandatory for all employers to offer, mostly government funded. But again, you need to qualify for it, you know, by actually working prior. It should be like unemployment or social security, you pay into it from the get go in anticipation of receiving the benefit when it is needed. You no pay, you no get.
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:That sounds like something Obama would pass. You should write to him.

No, see Obama would only offer it to poor people. Hard working people like you and I would still have nothing and have to do it all ourselves while paying more in taxes. I would not be against paying an additional 1% or 2% in fed taxes if at least 6 months of paid maternity leave was mandatory for all employers to offer, mostly government funded. But again, you need to qualify for it, you know, by actually working prior. It should be like unemployment or social security, you pay into it from the get go in anticipation of receiving the benefit when it is needed. You no pay, you no get.

Well if you can't afford to pay her bills you aren't exactly wealthy either. That would probably put you in the middle class. Obama's biggest concern is the middle class and below.
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:That sounds like something Obama would pass. You should write to him.

Well if you can't afford to pay her bills you aren't exactly wealthy either. That would probably put you in the middle class. Obama's biggest concern is the middle class and below.

Oh yeah, he has done a bang up job of helping me out so far. I love paying more in taxes and receiving nothing in return.
Pete Nice Wrote:Oh yeah, he has done a bang up job of helping me out so far. I love paying more in taxes and receiving nothing in return.

Yeah cause cutting the taxes for the rich is going to help you out...
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Oh yeah, he has done a bang up job of helping me out so far. I love paying more in taxes and receiving nothing in return.

My taxes were lower under Bush and I am in no way rich.

I got a full year of maternity/parental leave. My benefits were calculated at 65% or 55% of what I made over 15 weeks. With Mike I made $700 every two weeks and with Julianna it was around $850.
I also get my UCCB & my Child Tax Credit once a month and that's around $300.
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

My taxes were lower under Bush and I am in no way rich.

That's because of the huge campaign contribution you sent him. :wink:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9