Dudebro Nation

Full Version: P.O.A. Halloween canceled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We got a little snow here in CT saturday. The roads and sidewalks are clear, there's not even any snow left on my lawn. Some people lost power. No big deal. I turned on the 4 o'clock news and they have the governer on talking about having first selectmen in a bunch of towns postpone trick or treating till next saturday. Also tons of schools have been closed today and are already canceling for tomarrow.
Just to give you an idea of how pussified everyone is getting, here's a picure off my front porch from just now.

[Image: b74813f8.jpg]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ctnow.com/news/hc-halloween-1101-20111031,0,124956.story">http://www.ctnow.com/news/hc-halloween- ... 4956.story</a><!-- m -->

No school on Monday and some towns with no school on Tuesday. Halloween on Monday night. Perfect setup for trick or treating. Should be but it isn't.

With many towns reeling from a freak October snowstorm, the largest on record, officials weighed in and urged children not to trick-or-treat house to house on Monday night. With trees and power lines down on many streets in many communities, and power out, it is deemed a recipe for trouble.

By mid afternoon Monday, Hartford, West Hartford, New Britain,

Related
Story: Ghoulish Storm Makes For An Extra Tricky Halloween
Bristol, Newington, South Windsor, East Hartford, Glastonbury, Middletown and Torrington were discouraging trick-or-treating.These comminuties are among the many that have widespread damage and power outages, clogged and dangerous streets.

While City of Hartford crews working with CL&P to clear debris, open roads and restore power, Hartford Mayor Pedro E. Segarra said that due to extreme public safety risks, residents and their families should not go house to house for Halloween.

"Due to the extensive nature of poor lighting and downed trees and power lines, we must put safety first and work to restore a sense of normalcy as quickly as possible," Segarra said in a statement.

Citing similar hazards and the potential for more, other cities and towns joined in to urge parents to keep their children at home, some towns more forceful than others.

"I think we can all agree the hazards presented by low hanging wires, tree limbs, icy streets and sidewalks and a general lack of lighting far outweighs the need to celebrate Halloween [by going door to door]," Sgt. Scott Custer of the South Windsor police said in a statement.

West Hartford officials asked residents to postpone Halloween trick-or-treating until at least Saturday, saying there would be an update during the week as to whether it will be safe enough to proceed with trick-or-treating on Saturday. West Hartford had no school Monday and will not Tuesday. Waterbury Mayor Michael J. Jarjura also has called for the postponement of trick-or-treating until Saturday. Westport urged trick-or-treating be done on Saturday. Simsbury said it has postponed Halloween in that town until Nov. 10.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, heeding Hartford's warning, will not hand out candy Monday night at the governor's mansion in Hartford. "No amount of candy is worth a potentially serious or even fatal accident," Malloy said in a statement. "With about 40 percent of power out in the Capital City, Cathy and I are heeding Mayor Segarra's decision and have decided not to open the residence to trick-or-treaters tonight."

Middletown took a different approach. City officials warned that trick-or-treating may be dangerous because of ice and darkness.

"If you insist on going out, exercise extreme caution," Mayor Sebastian Giuliano said.

Bristol Mayor Art Ward said the city is in a state of emergency, and announced that he wants all Halloween activities Monday night called off.

"The mayor is canceling Halloween," said his executive assistant, Mary Suchopar. "If parents want to take their children out on streets with no power where houses are dark, there are wires down, trees and branches down and trees hanging, then there's nothing we can do. But we're recommending everyone stay home."

New Britain joined in recommending skipping trick-or-treating, especially on streets where power remains out.

"Unless you and your neighbors have power and you see their lights on, stay home. It's just too dangerous," New Britain Mayor Timothy Stewart said.

The parks and recreation department plans to schedule some type of celebration in the next two weeks to make up for the lost Halloween activities over the weekend, he said.

The Middletown Elks Lodge Haunted Ballroom event scheduled for Monday night has been postponed to Sunday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Glastonbury said its Halloween Parade and Party at Fire Station No. 2 has been canceled, with a possible rescheduled date to be announced later. Lake Compounce in Bristol also announced that its Haunted Graveyard is closed for the rest of the season and will not be open Monday night for Holloween.
How dumb . I'd go out anyway.
My ADD kicked in at the picture.