Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Basic job search process...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"The job seeker does not plan to fail, but job seekers often fail to plan, which leads to the same result!”

Steps in the Process
  • Attitude
    Assessment
    Marketing Strategy
    Marketing Materials
    Interviewing
    Follow-up

Step 1 Attitude
  • The Job Seeker “life cycle”
    Positive / Negative
    Family Implications
    The “Stocksdale Paradox”
    A Realistic Timeline
    Volunteerism
    Scripture and Prayer (if that's your thing)

Step 2 Assessment
  • Skills
    Interests
    Accomplishments
    Differentiation

Step 3 Marketing Strategy
  • Job Search Strategy
    Full-time / Part-time
    Target Job Objective
    Job Selection Criteria
    Target Companies / Industries
    Company research
    Networking Strategy
    Elevator Speech Development
    Networking Goals
    Numeric Goals / Tracking
    Log notes
    Scripting
    Follow-up
    Internet Strategy - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.Indeed.com">http://www.Indeed.com</a><!-- m -->
    Industry focused

Professional Recruiters

Advertised Jobs; Community / Local, National / Professional, College / University Placement Office /Alumni

Step 4 Marketing Materials
  • Resume
    Portfolio of work
    Marketing Letter
    Cover Letter
    Networking Profile Handout
    Articles to e-mail
    Planned response discussion guide

Step 5 Interviewing
  • Protocols
    Log notes
    Defining the job requirements
    Your interview strategy
    Behavioral Interviews
    S-T-A-R
    Second interview strategy

Step 6 Follow-up
  • Thank You
    Re-contact rejections
First attachment...
  • Writing Acheivments
    Writing your Resume
    Writing Cover letters
Second attachment...
  • Resume Examples
    your "Elevator Pitch"
    Targeting
Third attachment...
  • Achievements
    Skill & Knowledge Inventory
    Networking
    Letter Examples
    Follow-up
Checklist & Log
This seems like a miserable way of life, to have to find a job, using all the trendy "buzzwords" and shit. It's like a full time, crappy, no pay job, just to find a job.

I guess I'm glad I'm not that ambitious, and the jobs I'm good at I don't need to go through all that office bullshit.

I may not be making as much money as I want, or need, but I like what I do.
It is miserable. It is one of the hardest jobs I've had. This is why I am posting this information here, I want to help everyone going through this process to minimize the time anyone goes through it.
LeNeve Wrote:I may not be making as much money as I want, or need, but I like what I do.
That's pretty much how I feel about my job.
JDubb Wrote:It is miserable. It is one of the hardest jobs I've had. This is why I am posting this information here, I want to help everyone going through this process to minimize the time anyone goes through it.

I've only been on 3 real, actual interviews in my life.
The first one, I was still in school, for a big company where I had to take these dumb tests like I was at the DMV. I was nervous as shit. Failed miserably.
2nd was with this older guy, in his 60's, small company, and really relaxed. The only 'test' I had was the kind of work I'd be doing, and I was able to be myself and they called to offer me the job before I even got home.
The 3rd, last year when I was laid off, I went in thinking I could wing it because I've been doing this work for over 10 years. It was a decent size company that builds sheds and backyard playgrounds. Every hour, on the hour, for the next few days I thought of something else I should have said differently, or answered differently.

My point was originally going to be, that interviews really just take practice.
Chip Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:It is miserable. It is one of the hardest jobs I've had. This is why I am posting this information here, I want to help everyone going through this process to minimize the time anyone goes through it.

I've only been on 3 real, actual interviews in my life.
The first one, I was still in school, for a big company where I had to take these dumb tests like I was at the DMV. I was nervous as shit. Failed miserably.
2nd was with this older guy, in his 60's, small company, and really relaxed. The only 'test' I had was the kind of work I'd be doing, and I was able to be myself and they called to offer me the job before I even got home.
The 3rd, last year when I was laid off, I went in thinking I could wing it because I've been doing this work for over 10 years. It was a decent size company that builds sheds and backyard playgrounds. Every hour, on the hour, for the next few days I thought of something else I should have said differently, or answered differently.

My point was originally going to be, that interviews really just take practice.
Practice and research. Interviews will go better if you target a company, do your research and have an in through networking. It is almost impossible to get your resume to the top of the pile in todays job market. It is not uncommon for a job posted on Career Builder to attract 1000+ applications/resumes.
Dont forget to also check out my list of resources; I have ebooks, powerpoint presentations with other internet links and documents that are very useful and helpful. http://www.dudebronation.com/forum/viewt...=25&t=2559
Off topic, but I need advice.

I have a interview with a competitor on Monday, the job is pretty much mine, and its for me to screw everything up.

rumor has it, a bunch of people from my current place are jumping ship.

Here is my situation, at my current place, I have not used all my paid time off (PTO), right now I have 127 hours to use, we work a 7 hour workday. we have until April 1st to get this total down to 80 hours, minus was has been accrued in 2011, so I have about 35 hours to use (5 days). I was planning to take a few days off Mid-March, plus go get my physical one day. Its covered 100% under my current benefits

On Monday when they ask when I could possibly start, what do I say? do I ditch my 5 weeks of vacation I have earned & say in 2 weeks? do I tell the new place I can start on Monday April 4th, and take the time off in March & see the doctor? I will probably lose health benefits once I leave for 3 Months.

To jump ahead, if I take the job, since its a competitor, my current place will probably walk me out that day, instead of letting me finish my 2 week notice. Will they pay me for the unused PTO if they do this?

Thanks everyone, I really need advice
Donginator Wrote:Off topic, but I need advice.

I have a interview with a competitor on Monday, the job is pretty much mine, and its for me to screw everything up.

Here is my situation, at my current place, I have not used all my paid time off (PTO), right now I have 127 hours to use, we work a 7 hour workday. we have until April 1st to get this total down to 80 hours, minus was has been accrued in 2011, so I have about 35 hours to use (5 days). I was planning to take a few days off Mid-March, plus go get my physical one day. Its covered 100% under my current benefits

On Monday when they ask when I could possibly start, what do I say? do I ditch my 5 weeks of vacation I have earned & say in 2 weeks? do I tell the new place I can start on Monday April 4th, and take the time off in March & see the doctor? I will probably lose health benefits once I leave for 3 Months.

To jump ahead, if I take the job, since its a competitor, my current place will probably walk me out that day, instead of letting me finish my 2 week notice. Will they pay me for the unused PTO if they do this?

Check your employee handbook and state laws. My place had to pay me all of my vacation time, which was 2-1/2 weeks.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:

Check your employee handbook and state laws. My place had to pay me all of my vacation time, which was 2-1/2 weeks.

When I left my old job, I had just over 4 weeks.
:happy:

First of all, they have to by law pay all unused PTO/vacation time you have earned.

Secondly; if they walk you out the door they still have to pay any PTO/vacation time plus if you give two weeks and they chose to end it today, they should also by law be required to pay those two weeks as well. Tell the new place you are available in two weeks and pocket the cash for your vacation time. Also, let them know about any dates you may need off up front. You don't want to start a new job having to make of BS excuses. You may have to take the day unpaid but you will have the money for your PTO... win/win.

Good Luck!
Pages: 1 2