Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Auto Immune Disease
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About a year ago my wife began having some health issues. Her symptoms were fatigue, weight loss & gain, occasional low grade fever and mild skin rash. The main one being fatigue. We have been to several doctors and dermatologists in the last year and no one seemed to figure this thing out. For a while, we were leaning towards an allergic reaction so two different skin biopsies were done. The dermatologist was telling us that it could take years to figure out what she was allergic to. After a long struggle and tired of doctors not being concerned or caring, a friend recommended another. Reluctantly we went, with no expectations, and this doctor took extra time to listen. After 2 hrs of talking and a physical, after a year of confusion, we finally figured out that my wife has Auto Immune Disease. The doctor drew 7 vials of blood and is currently having numerous tests run to confirm the diagnosis.
Our next steps are to find out which one it is. There are over 80 types. From what we know at this time, this is a very manageable disease. Although there is no cure, the process is to figure out which form she has and control/treat the symptoms.
The good news, if any, is that we finally know what it is and are working to figure this thing out. Like asthma(which I have), you just have to learn to manage & control the symptoms.
She can still live, work, and function, it's just understanding that some days will be better than others with her main symptom being fatigue. Some days, she just needs to rest when she gets home from work.
We are so blessed to have the ability to live, function, work and just have basic abilities when so many are less fortunate and are handicap in some capacity. I just ask that you take time to appreciate yourself and your ability to function. We are a strong couple and this just something to make us that much stronger in life and love. I just ask that you take care of yourselves and your families and take nothing for granted in life.
We know little about Auto Immune Disease, but we are beginning to learn more as we figure out which form that she has. If you know anything about this or someone who has it, feel free to share. Thanks for listening... Eddie!!!
Thanks for sharing Eddie, my prayers are with her and I hope she begins feeling better soon.
not to be a dick, but are you sure? Autoimmune is what doctors come up with when they cant find the real reason.
Derick Wrote:not to be a dick, but are you sure? Autoimmune is what doctors come up with when they cant find the real reason.

God you are a dick! :poke:

Even if it's not an auto immune disease, I hope the doctors find something to help your wife, being fatigued all the time sucks.
Nussie_T Wrote:
Derick Wrote:not to be a dick, but are you sure? Autoimmune is what doctors come up with when they cant find the real reason.

Even if it's not an auto immune disease, I hope the doctors find something to help your wife, being fatigued all the time sucks.

He is a dick, but not for asking that question. You'd be surprised after being diagnosed wtih something what you find out after getting many opinions.
Also there are dermatologist that will do something called patch testing. They will test for approx 80 different substances against your wifes skin and figure out exactly what she's allergic to. This test takes less than 1 month.

I think you really need to evaluate the doctors you are seeing. And weight gain/loss / fever / skin rash / fatigue is no reason you should be seeing a dermatologist. If the rash was something serious then yes. But for somthing minor, no.

You really should evaluate which type of doctor you are seeing and then stop complaining that the wrong one cant figure it out. It would be like me going to see a podiatrist for my kidney stone. While the podiatrist might be able to figure it out, it would be easier and more effective for me to see a urologist
Eddie, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and your family. I would get a second and even a third opinion. Go to THE best hospital that is near you, preferably a teaching hospital. It is always smart to get a few opinions that way you and your wife can choose which treatment option is best for her. I know it's hard and extremely time consuming, but our loved ones are worth it. Best of luck to you both. xoxox
Best of luck to both of you Eddie.

I have done field visits with people who are out on disability due to auto immune. Many doctors have a hard time agreeing that it is an actual disease and some even think the patient is just lazy. But it is an actual disease. I would recommend, if either of your work places offer it, to get disability insurances, short and long term. Something like UNUM or Afflac. I hope this doesn't happen, but there is a chance that your wife's symptoms could get to the level that is is just to much for her to be able to get through a work day, in which case, disability is a godsend. Also, when signing up for the disability, it might be best not to mention the autoimmune disease, juss sayin....
Sorry to hear your wife's sick Eddie. I hope you guys figure out what it is and get it straightened out so she feels better.

Did your doctor check for Lymes disease? I'm no doctor, but the symptoms sound kinda simallar to me.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/lyme-disease-symptoms">http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/lyme-disease-symptoms</a><!-- m -->

Good Luck bro.
Joe Wrote:
Nussie_T Wrote:

He is a dick, but not for asking that question. You'd be surprised after being diagnosed wtih something what you find out after getting many opinions.

Did you see the poke??? I know what you are talking about Jim's dad had Crohn's a long time before they diagnosed him, it almost killed him. When Jim started exhibiting the symptoms it was easier for them to diagnose him although they have the same disease it located in different parts of their bowels. The last time Jim was in the hospital for it, he was close to getting a blood transfusion and then he ended up with kidney stones.
My friend Dean was diagnosed last year with Lyme's disease. They tested him for 3 years telling him it was random stuff until finally he was sent to Vegas to see some doctor and he figured it out. His sister Tania was feeling like shit all the time, no energy etc. It took them 4 diagnosis and 2 years to tell her she has MS.
Geez, that sucks Eddie. I wish you and your wife much luck and many prayers. And, hopefully, they find out that it's something else less serious.
Nussie_T Wrote:Did you see the poke??? I know what you are talking about Jim's dad had Crohn's a long time before they diagnosed him, it almost killed him. When Jim started exhibiting the symptoms it was easier for them to diagnose him although they have the same disease it located in different parts of their bowels. The last time Jim was in the hospital for it, he was close to getting a blood transfusion and then he ended up with kidney stones.
Jim and his dad both have it? I thought it usually skips a generation. My sister's mother-in-law(future) has Crohn's, and I know my sister is a little worried about it. Nasty disease.
Best of luck Eddie. Is HIV a strain of auto-immune deficiency?
i bleed green Wrote:Jim and his dad both have it? I thought it usually skips a generation. My sister's mother-in-law(future) has Crohn's, and I know my sister is a little worried about it. Nasty disease.

Jim's dad's side of the family is plagues by IBD's. Jim's grandma has diverticulitis, Jim's dad has Crohn's and Jim has ulcerative colitis. Jim's brother has been having issues with his guts last month, we're pretty sure he's headed down that path too.
Crohn's is usually found in the lower GI and colitis is in the upper. Lower stress levels and follow a diet staying away from foods that hurt keep it in check.