Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Facebook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I kinda already know how you guys feel about it, but i like to debate stuff on here.
In my opinion the risks far outweigh the rewards. Everyone knows everything. I know the privacy settings and all, but facebook still owns anything you put on there, and it seems like everything gets out anyway. There's a whole website with screen shots of facebook conversations. It seems there is soo many ways stuff you think is no big deal now can come back to haunt you later.
This guy says it's a good thing. Don't worry about oversharing, everyone is gonna know when you got drunk in college, but nobody will care. It's worth it when you want to buy a computer and you can look up a friend that sells them.
[youtube]TOYX8GwwLJ8[/youtube]
I tell you who will care employers. Don't plan on being a cop or a teacher.
If you should ever have any legal trouble or ugly divorce, there's a plethora of potential evidence right there.
Probably not gonna become a problem, but it's basicly like a mass text to everyone in your phone every time you post something.

Am i the only one who thinks it's not a good idea to be so public?

If you don't watch the video, you gotta hear what he says at 1:35. That's where he thinks things will be at in the future.
I think you worry too much. As long as you have the top privacy setting on, no job is gonna find anything on you. They even have a privacy setting so that if someone searches you by name, you will not come up.

I had dinner and drinks last night with one of my best friends from college and his new wife. I have not seen him in over 10 years b/c he entered the military as an officer and has basically been overseas since. If not for Facebook, I would not have been able to hang out and catch up with him last night.
If I meet someone that's not on a social networking site I think of them as being a
[Image: caveman.jpg]
Mine's as secure as it gets. My name and pic are all that can be seen if you're outside of my friend list.
It's a matter of being smart on what you post. Don't share things that would potential backfire on you. Just like you should never advertise that you are going away for the weekend. It's smarter to say something after you get back, if you must say anything at all. Posting picts of a drunken night may haunt you, but a vacation at the beach with family shouldn't (unless you were skipping work that day and were dumb enough to allow the date stamp to print on your photos. It's a matter of using your digression.
Yeah, I don't have facebook.
I already have too many friends, I can't find time to keep up to date with. I don't need more, and I spend enough time infront of a computer as it is. The people I want to keep in touch with, have my e-mail address or my phone number.
Chip Wrote:Yeah, I don't have facebook.
I already have too many friends, I can't find time to keep up to date with. I don't need more, and I spend enough time infront of a computer as it is. The people I want to keep in touch with, have my e-mail address or my phone number.

Let me see if I can find a picture of a caveman with a hockey stick.....
Joe In PA Wrote:

:roflmao:
Back when the Soviet Red Army team came around to play the exhibition games against NHL teams, and the Flyers sent them crying to their dressing room, a russian paper printed this picture.

[Image: russiancartoon.jpg]
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:It's a matter of being smart on what you post. Don't share things that would potential backfire on you. Just like you should never advertise that you are going away for the weekend. It's smarter to say something after you get back, if you must say anything at all. Posting picts of a drunken night may haunt you, but a vacation at the beach with family shouldn't (unless you were skipping work that day and were dumb enough to allow the date stamp to print on your photos. It's a matter of using your digression.

My next door neighbors are a nosy old woman and a state cop. If I go away, no one is going to get away with fucking with my house. So I can talk all about my vacation on facebook. I find politics gets the blood boiling on facebook. I also would try to avoid attacking people you know on facebook, that is nothing but trouble.
Pete Nice Wrote:
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:It's a matter of being smart on what you post. Don't share things that would potential backfire on you. Just like you should never advertise that you are going away for the weekend. It's smarter to say something after you get back, if you must say anything at all. Posting picts of a drunken night may haunt you, but a vacation at the beach with family shouldn't (unless you were skipping work that day and were dumb enough to allow the date stamp to print on your photos. It's a matter of using your digression.

My next door neighbors are a nosy old woman and a state cop. If I go away, no one is going to get away with fucking with my house. So I can talk all about my vacation on facebook. I find politics gets the blood boiling on facebook. I also would try to avoid attacking people you know on facebook, that is nothing but trouble.

Regardless, it is quite wise to not just post every little thing you have going on.
Joe In PA Wrote:

Isn't that redundant? :poke:
JDubb Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:

Isn't that redundant? :poke:
You're still drunk.
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:

Regardless, it is quite wise to not just post every little thing you have going on.

I see your point about staying involved with friends you otherwise wouldn't pete.
I never put pictures up, but one of my friends takes pictures EVERY time we go out to bars. First of all it's gay, because everytime you see people posing for pictures now you know it's to post on their profile. 3 dudes standing all close to pose for a picture in a bar when there's plenty of girls to be talking to = Super gay.
2nd he'd post about 20 pictures a weekend and tag me in em. Half of them i'm not even looking and in mid- sentance talking to someone. My mom, dad, stepmom, 13yo step sister, and ex gf's sister were on my acct. Don't need to advertise that stuff to them.

Two things got me to delete it. People post the stupidest un important shit constantly on there. One chick actually posted something about her hemmeroid operation one time. Really yo??

Other reason- My mom was/is going through a divorce and custody battle with my stepfather. He was trying to drag me and my younger brother's (mom's kids) reputations through the mud to the lawyers. He was talking his son up like he's a saint and claiming we were pieces of shit, to try and claim my mom wasn't a good mother. Not true and i don't see the argument because we lived under his roof since i was in 6th grade and my bro is 4 years younger. Plus i'm 30 now and haven't lived there since i was 19. Anyway, that's all i need is to get tagged out drunk in a pic and have him go onto my stepsisters acct and bring that shit up in court.
I know you can block, but facebook changes their privacy policy without notifying you.

Not worth it to me, to know what girl from freshman year is having for breakfast or bill just went for a hike.

They were kinda talking about this on the show the other day. People get comfortable thinking they're just talking to a few of ther specific friends, and forget the other 1045 "friends" on their profile that can see it. You might as well staple your comment on every telephone pole in town with your full name and picture on it.

Only one of my friends who sees it my way on this is my cop buddy. Everyone else thinks i'm nuts.
Ever realize how much people rely on technology now? When's the last time you lost your cell phone or forgot it at home? You freak out. I only know like 2 peoples #'s by heart. People take it for granted like it will always be there. That shit can be taken away in a heartbeat. Now they're talking about an internet kill switch. society would freak. they wouldn't know what to do.

Just watched the crazies, that made me think of that. Zombies take over, no cell phones, no internet,military shuts down the border, your fucked.
negadave Wrote:Ever realize how much people rely on technology now? When's the last time you lost your cell phone or forgot it at home? You freak out. I only know like 2 peoples #'s by heart. People take it for granted like it will always be there. That shit can be taken away in a heartbeat. Now they're talking about an internet kill switch. society would freak. they wouldn't know what to do.

Just watched the crazies, that made me think of that. Zombies take over, no cell phones, no internet,military shuts down the border, your fucked.

Yeah that is one thing that scares me. I just went to a meeting for work on using social networking for exploring new markets. At one point, to drive a point home, my boss offered $400 to anyone who deleted their account for a whole year. No takers.